What's new

Help with wedding present

Those of us who don't have an EB (which means almost everyone here) are eating our hearts out and drooling over those beautiful razors. Your husband will love the razor. Although most of us have a bunch of straights millions of men managed over the centuries to shave every day of their lives with one straight razor.

My wife has told me on many occasions that her grandfather had one straight razor, one shaving brush, on shaving mug, and one soap.

I seldom consider thinking about buying a razor like the one you've picked, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love having one.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim, I have two. Just plain ones. They take and keep the most insane edge. So sharp that the hairs jump off my face when they see the blade. Absolutely incredible razors.

Perhaps we need include a slight detour to Kent for you on our Scottish field trip?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, I have two. Just plain ones. They take and keep the most insane edge. So sharp that the hairs jump off my face when they see the blade. Absolutely incredible razors.

Perhaps we need include a slight detour to Kent for you on our Scottish field trip?

proxy.php

This picture has nothing to do with anything, but a two headed rattlesnake is more common than a man with two of these razors.

I'd settle for either the Scottish field trip or one of the razors. I'm much more likely to get the razor.

Hanging out around here is guaranteed to either make a guy become a minimalist or have an ever growing wish list. Your description of your two razors puts me firmly in one camp. There have not been all that many reviews of custom razors which convinced me they were anything other than new, shiny, beautiful, and expensive. Until now.

Happy shaves,

Jim

proxy.php

This picture has nothing to do with anything, but a two headed rattlesnake is more common than a man with two of these razors.

I'd settle for either the Scottish field trip or one of the razors. I'm much more likely to get the razor.

Hanging out around here is guaranteed to either make a guy become a minimalist or have an ever growing wish list. Your description of your two razors puts me firmly in one camp. There have not been all that many reviews of custom razors which convinced me they were anything other than new, shiny, beautiful, and expensive. Until now.

Happy shaves,

Jim

proxy.php

I have custom, vintage and antique razors in my collection......honestly what ever era razor you decide to give him he will love and cherish it for life. My wife has never bought me a razor but she supports my , ummmm how do we call it again guys......oh yes....."hobby" .....lol.....that alone is more valuable than any anything to me.

Congrats on your up coming wedding, the dude your marrying is a lucky man!!

I have custom, vintage and antique razors in my collection......honestly what ever era razor you decide to give him he will love and cherish it for life. My wife has never bought me a razor but she supports my , ummmm how do we call it again guys......oh yes....."hobby" .....lol.....that alone is more valuable than any anything to me.

Congrats on your up coming wedding, the dude your marrying is a lucky man!!

hahahahaha I like that Dean!!! Hobby is that the new name this week for the RAD....

Ralf Aust makes a fine modern razor. Many are in your price range. He has several wood scale varieties to choose from.

As a first razor and a wedding present... I'd go with a 5/8s or a 6/8s with a Spanish crown. (...looks cool and has a rounded toe which improves the safety factor) As a first razor a serrated edge will give him a bit more "security" by improving his grip.

Aust razors are well considered in this forum.

The "Invisible Edge' is in the UK and they have several nice TI and Dovo razors in wood - I favor the 7/8 blades in Red Stamina scales from TI and the Ebony Bismark from Dovo. TI makes nice wood presentation boxes also.

Haha! Okay so maybe I worded that wrong, they're beautiful tools; he is clearly going to end up with many, I just would prefer that this one doesn't end up completely redundant for a little while!!

I must admit that I wasn't expecting such an abundance of choice- hence joining the forum!

If you shoot me a PM I will fix you up with some goods as a Wedding PIF.....

The only thing I ask is when it arrives you post a picture...

Just make sure you get it professionally honed. If you buy from a custom maker (Ed Brice) it will come ready to use, you might ask them to strop it for you before shipping. If you buy from a retailer, it might or might not have a shave ready edge.

I must admit I was a little trepidatious about entering your man cave but you guys have been so generous, kind and helpful! Thank you!

I must admit I'm still kind of terrified about what is (to me) quite a big decision! I love the Ed Brice but I don't want to put him off shaving if it's a bit cumbersome to begin with. I do realise that the razor I choose probably wont end up the one he eventually chooses to use but I'd like to give it a fair chance. Maybe if I do a poll of 3 razors you guys could choose which you would have liked to receive?!

We would also love to pay your kindness forward when the time comes

Ralf Aust makes a fine modern razor. Many are in your price range. He has several wood scale varieties to choose from.

As a first razor and a wedding present... I'd go with a 5/8s or a 6/8s with a Spanish crown. (...looks cool and has a rounded toe which improves the safety factor) As a first razor a serrated edge will give him a bit more "security" by improving his grip.

Aust razors are well considered in this forum.
Well now you've thrown a spanner in the works!! These seem to get glowing reviews too. Does one go for stainless or non stainless though? Given how he looks after his chisel, maintenance will not be an issue!

+1 on Ralf Aust, great razors.

But so are Thiers in my opinion and Invisible edge has a nice selection.
It's really hard to go wrong with any of the razors that have been suggested. I'd say, just go with what you think he'll like in terms of appearance, they will all shave well - besides he'll need time and few different razors to discover his own preference anyway.

@Ice-Man and @mawashi - my anniversary is coming soon too.... LOL :D :D :D
(kidding of course, that's very generous of you guys, way to go)

Well now you've thrown a spanner in the works!! These seem to get glowing reviews too. Does one go for stainless or non stainless though? Given how he looks after his chisel, maintenance will not be an issue!

I've sent the funds via PayPal usd $20 or its equivalent lol.

As in my pm to you nedd need a strop, a cot or polishing stone and these stones aren't the sane for knives. Only stones suitable for razors like Belgium coticule, naniwa super stones, shapton, Japanese natural or arks are suitable for maintaining razors. However, if the razor is honed by a honemister you may only need to strop it to keep its edge.

Cheers,

Mawashi

Last edited:
I've sent the funds via PayPal usd $20 or its equivalent lol.

As in my pm to you hell need a strop, a cot or polishing stone and these stones aren't the sane for knives. Only stones suitable for razors like Belgium coticule, naniwa super stones, shapton, Japanese natural or arks are suitable for maintaining razors. However, if the razor is honed by a honemister you may only need to strop it to keep its edge.

Cheers,

Mawashi
Thank you so so much! I can't believe how generous and helpful you all are. Well I think I'm just going to have to be brave and make a decision! Will keep you updated!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I must admit I was a little trepidatious about entering your man cave but you guys have been so generous, kind and helpful! Thank you!

I must admit I'm still kind of terrified about what is (to me) quite a big decision! I love the Ed Brice but I don't want to put him off shaving if it's a bit cumbersome to begin with. I do realise that the razor I choose probably wont end up the one he eventually chooses to use but I'd like to give it a fair chance. Maybe if I do a poll of 3 razors you guys could choose which you would have liked to receive?!

We would also love to pay your kindness forward when the time comes

He will love an Ed Brice!

Of course, he will love any razor you buy for him, but an EB would be a world class wedding present.

Happy shaves,

Jim

+1 on Ralf Aust, great razors.

But so are Thiers in my opinion and Invisible edge has a nice selection.
It's really hard to go wrong with any of the razors that have been suggested. I'd say, just go with what you think he'll like in terms of appearance, they will all shave well - besides he'll need time and few different razors to discover his own preference anyway.

@Ice-Man and @mawashi - my anniversary is coming soon too.... LOL :D :D :D
(kidding of course, that's very generous of you guys, way to go)

Thank you Boris!!! You never know what happens but the Fili is staying under lock and key :001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::lol1::lol1::lol1:

Top Bottom