What's new

Help with wedding present

Hi all, I wonder if I might borrow your experience and expertise?

In a few weeks I am marrying my partner of 9 years. He has always wanted a cut throat razor so I thought it would make a nice present for him on the morning of the wedding (Don't worry we'll stick with the Mach 3 for actual practical purposes until post event!)

I have a fairly modest budget of around £200 but I would be willing to spend a bit more if it meant a big difference in product. I have tried to do a bit of homework and I find myself drawn to the TIs- but is this a good idea with my budget or would I get more bang for my buck with a Dovo? Or sometthing else altogether?

My partner is a carpenter and really appreciates quality craftmanship, I would also prefer to get him a wooden handled razor. Obviously the razor needs ro be suitable for a novice (although hes not a complete idiot) but I would also prefer that it stands the test of time and that hes not going to want/need a different one in a years' time.

If anyone could recommend something suitable and a little bit special then I would be really ever so grateful! (we're in the UK)

Congratulations!

There is really no novice razor, especially one that you expect to last a lifetime. Sharp corner points can be muted to mitigate issues.

Quality manufacturer wooden scales typically are one of the elements that drive price (other elements are gold plating and spine adornments/filing). The more interesting/exotic a wooden scale, the higher that price is gonna be.

I also don't think one razor will quell the desire for more.

I prefer TI's wooden scales much more than Dovo's, it doesn't sound like you have much time to waste on custom work. However, some Dovos' can be very nice depending if you like inlays, or scroll features.

Good Luck!

Congratulations to you both!!!

Hmmmm I have heard all this before about it just being one razor, I said it many times and here I am with over 150 trust me its a big rabbit hole. (I was pushed in)

Thiers Issard are good razors but remember factory edges are not shave ready, they will need honing to get a good shave or it will tug and be painfull.

There is so many good quality razors to chose from more so living in the UK, that's what I have found myself with shipping.

Congratulations to you both!!!

Hmmmm I have heard all this before about it just being one razor, I said it many times and here I am with over 150 trust me its a big rabbit hole. (I was pushed in)

Thiers Issard are good razors but remember factory edges are not shave ready, they will need honing to get a good shave or it will tug and be painfull.

There is so many good quality razors to chose from more so living in the UK, that's what I have found myself with shipping.
Haha! Okay so maybe I worded that wrong, they're beautiful tools; he is clearly going to end up with many, I just would prefer that this one doesn't end up completely redundant for a little while!!

I must admit that I wasn't expecting such an abundance of choice- hence joining the forum!

If you are in the UK you could try Edward Brice. He makes beautiful handmade razors. His plainest razors are around the £200 mark but they are still absolutely beautiful. The lead time might be too tight but sometimes he has some already made up.

He is a really nice guy and a true British craftsman.

Custom straight razors uk

The widest range of razors in the UK is from the invisible Edge:

The Invisible Edge - Shave Ready Straight Razors Shipped Worldwide

If you go for a 5/8 size razor you will get more for your budget. Some of the Thiers Issard at that price are extremely beautiful. The 5/8 size is also a good size for a beginner.

Last edited:
Thank you for this, my partner is from Kent, so Edward Brice is a great tip!

Check out the shop section.

There is a razor on there for £210. It would be a hard razor to start with. The point is tricky and it is a very wide blade. Having said that it would be a razor of a lifetime.

Avoid the "kamisori" listed which is a japanese style razor, unless your partner is particularly interested in that style. I would contact Ed, he might be working on something else right now.

One thing I should say is that he will need a few other things to get started. I am not sure if you want to account for those as well. He needs to use a brush and make a lather. You need a better quality of lather when you are shaving with

1) A soap or cream
2) A brush (Badger, Boar, or Synthetic)
3) A strop - which he will need to use prior to every shave.

The Invisible Edge sell starter kits:
Straight Razor Kits for Beginners (Cut throat razor starter kit)

Or you could buy a nice soap, a good synthetic brush, and a strop for less. If you live near a John Lewis, they usually have a good selection of soaps / creams and they sell the Kent synthetic brushes. The Body Shop also sell a pretty good brush and shaving cream.

This is an inexpensive strop:

IE "Standard Plus" Canvas Backed Hanging Strop|The Invisible Edge

A Le Grelot Thiers Issard would be around £160.

TI 5/8 Le Grelot Medaille D'Or Snakewood Straight Razor|The Invisible Edge

Which would mean you could get him started with everything he would need within your budget.

I'll stop posting now. Just wanted to make sure you were aware and didn't get caught out.

One thing I should say is that he will need a few other things to get started. I am not sure if you want to account for those as well. He needs to use a brush and make a lather. You need a better quality of lather when you are shaving with

1) A soap or cream
2) A brush (Badger, Boar, or Synthetic)
3) A strop - which he will need to use prior to every shave.

The Invisible Edge sell starter kits:
Straight Razor Kits for Beginners (Cut throat razor starter kit)

Or you could buy a nice soap, a good synthetic brush, and a strop for less. If you live near a John Lewis, they usually have a good selection of soaps / creams and they sell the Kent synthetic brushes. The Body Shop also sell a pretty good brush and shaving cream.

This is an inexpensive strop:

IE "Standard Plus" Canvas Backed Hanging Strop|The Invisible Edge

A Le Grelot Thiers Issard would be around £160.

TI 5/8 Le Grelot Medaille D'Or Snakewood Straight Razor|The Invisible Edge

Which would mean you could get him started with everything he would need within your budget.

I'll stop posting now. Just wanted to make sure you were aware and didn't get caught out.
The plan is to buy the razor as a wedding present, then gradually buy the other bits as the linings of my pockets are replenished!! In the meanwhile he can just stroke and admire it...

He might get some temporary cheapo ones if he's lucky.

I've messaged Mr Brice, thanks again for the tip

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi all, I wonder if I might borrow your experience and expertise?

In a few weeks I am marrying my partner of 9 years. He has always wanted a cut throat razor so I thought it would make a nice present for him on the morning of the wedding (Don't worry we'll stick with the Mach 3 for actual practical purposes until post event!)

I have a fairly modest budget of around £200 but I would be willing to spend a bit more if it meant a big difference in product. I have tried to do a bit of homework and I find myself drawn to the TIs- but is this a good idea with my budget or would I get more bang for my buck with a Dovo? Or sometthing else altogether?

My partner is a carpenter and really appreciates quality craftmanship, I would also prefer to get him a wooden handled razor. Obviously the razor needs ro be suitable for a novice (although hes not a complete idiot) but I would also prefer that it stands the test of time and that hes not going to want/need a different one in a years' time.

If anyone could recommend something suitable and a little bit special then I would be really ever so grateful! (we're in the UK)

Sounds like you're marrying a very lucky man.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

Amazing razors. Inlaid rubies in this spine. Some of his razors are actually very inexpensive for this sort of custom straight.

I like these and can't imagine anyone being anything other than thrilled by them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A very lucky man indeed! I'm glad that you're aware that the razor isn't the only thing you need, i was kind of caught off guard when I began shaving with a straight razor. Just an FYI there are listings in the strop section on how to make a strop, both linen and leather, and Semogue SOC is an A+ brush for about 20-30 dollars...though it is boar hair which takes a while to break in.

As long as your soon to be husband doesn't frequent these forums (YET?) you should let us know what you decide. You got some great suggestions, and that Edward Bryce is an amazing looking razor. we love to see what people end up choosing :)

I have a fairly modest budget of around £200 but I would be willing to spend a bit more if it meant a big difference in product........
....My partner is a carpenter and really appreciates quality craftmanship, I would also prefer to get him a wooden handled razor. Obviously the razor needs ro be suitable for a novice (although hes not a complete idiot) but I would also prefer that it stands the test of time and that hes not going to want/need a different one in a years' time.

At your budget you can buy one of basic models, or configure one of less expensive custom Koraat razors.
Either one would in my opinion be very special gift, and your partner will absolutely love the craftsmanship, no doubt about it. The only issue is, his razors often take 8 weeks to be produced.

I suppose it doesn't cost anything to check his web site and email him to see if he can meet your deadline.

At your budget you can buy one of basic models, or configure one of less expensive custom Koraat razors.
Either one would in my opinion be very special gift, and your partner will absolutely love the craftsmanship, no doubt about it. The only issue is, his razors often take 8 weeks to be produced.

I suppose it doesn't cost anything to check his web site and email him to see if he can meet your deadline.
Thanks for this, they look great- I had a play with the customisable options and I think this would be brilliant if and when he eventually wants to choose one for himself to his own specs.

I've kind of got my heart set on an Ed Brice now- they're really gorgeous and even if he doesn't end up using it all the time, it's still a thing of beauty to keep in a drawer. It also seems fateful that he is from near where we gew up!

Thanks for this, they look great- I had a play with the customisable options and I think this would be brilliant if and when he eventually wants to choose one for himself to his own specs.

I've kind of got my heart set on an Ed Brice now- they're really gorgeous and even if he doesn't end up using it all the time, it's still a thing of beauty to keep in a drawer. It also seems fateful that he is from near where we gew up!

Super choice am Ed Brice is a fantastic looking razor!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I've kind of got my heart set on an Ed Brice now- they're really gorgeous and even if he doesn't end up using it all the time, it's still a thing of beauty to keep in a drawer. It also seems fateful that he is from near where we grew up!

Those of us who don't have an EB (which means almost everyone here) are eating our hearts out and drooling over those beautiful razors. Your husband will love the razor. Although most of us have a bunch of straights millions of men managed over the centuries to shave every day of their lives with one straight razor.

My wife has told me on many occasions that her grandfather had one straight razor, one shaving brush, on shaving mug, and one soap.

I seldom consider thinking about buying a razor like the one you've picked, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love having one.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom