What's new

Help with Timeless

Hi there. I’ve been reading a lot about how good the ti timeless is. I’m planning to pull the trigger on it. Its just so hard for me to decide which base plate and gap I should get. My current rotation is Rockwell 6s plates 5 and 6, Muhle r89 grande, Parker Variant on 3 or 4 settings and Merkur 34c. Im new to wet shaving and lately Ive been enjoying the mid to aggressive settings. I know I still have a lot to learn but my RAD for the timeless is very strong. I cant help it. I’m from the Philippines so I’m sure that I won’t be able to enjoy the 30 day return policy for the razor will get here after a month or 2 after I ordered it. I usually shave every 4 to 6 days and my facial hair is more on the regular side. I also dont have sensitive skin. My plan is to get the scalloped .95 gap and dc scalloped/oc .68 gap. Or should I get dc scalloped/oc .95 gap and scalloped .68? Or scalloped .95 and .68. Im kinda scared of the OC plate because I havent tried one. Im also open for suggestions on other razors so I can add them to my “to get” list.

My current rotation is Rockwell 6s plates 5 and 6

Well, for what it's worth, copied from the Rockwell website,

R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014” (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019” (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024” (0.61 mm
R5: 0.027” (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031” (0.79 mm)

FWIW, I love the R5, so I would get the .68 if I were buying a Timeless.

Well, for what it's worth, copied from the Rockwell website,

R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014” (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019” (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024” (0.61 mm
R5: 0.027” (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031” (0.79 mm)

FWIW, I love the R5, so I would get the .68 if I were buying a Timeless.

Thanks for the info on the blade gaps.

^
Blade gap is just one of the factors, though. Based on forums, it seems like those who use the Rockwell on the higher plates favor the .95.
Thats the reason why I’m finding it hard as to which plate and gap to get. Thanks.

I've used all iterations of the top cap & baseplate. My preference (and my preference will probably not be what you will like) is for the scalloped top cap & safety bar or scalloped baseplate. The open comb is very efficient, & in my estimation the .95 blade gap with an open comb baseplate is a mid to high aggressive razor, IMHO. And the .68 is not efficient enough.

So I would communicate with Timeless before you place the order & tell him you're not sure which configuration you want, but could he listen to what you like & don't like, then listen to what he recommends. Timeless customer service is very highly regarded & respected. Also during your conversation with Timeless, explain that you're in the Philippines & at what point does the 30-day warranty begin, the day it ships from Timeless or the day it delivers to you. Then ask if you're going to return a baseplate &/or the top cap to exchange it for another configuration, when does the 30-day window close? 30 days from when the product shipped from Timeless & return must be received by Timeless within 30 days of that date? Or does the 30 days begin when the product is delivered to you & if a return is being made is it good enough to provide proof of mailing from the Philippines within 30 days, or does the package have to be received by Timeless?

Lots of questions, but ones I'm sure they will gladly talk to you about.

Good luck. Ask more questions, we're all at different stages, & we're all in this together.

Take care,
David

I've used all iterations of the top cap & baseplate. My preference (and my preference will probably not be what you will like) is for the scalloped top cap & safety bar or scalloped baseplate. The open comb is very efficient, & in my estimation the .95 blade gap with an open comb baseplate is a mid to high aggressive razor, IMHO. And the .68 is not efficient enough.

So I would communicate with Timeless before you place the order & tell him you're not sure which configuration you want, but could he listen to what you like & don't like, then listen to what he recommends. Timeless customer service is very highly regarded & respected. Also during your conversation with Timeless, explain that you're in the Philippines & at what point does the 30-day warranty begin, the day it ships from Timeless or the day it delivers to you. Then ask if you're going to return a baseplate &/or the top cap to exchange it for another configuration, when does the 30-day window close? 30 days from when the product shipped from Timeless & return must be received by Timeless within 30 days of that date? Or does the 30 days begin when the product is delivered to you & if a return is being made is it good enough to provide proof of mailing from the Philippines within 30 days, or does the package have to be received by Timeless?

Good luck. Ask more questions, we're all at different stages, & we're all in this together.

Take care,
David

Thanks for the input sir. Really appreciate it.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
If you prefer aggressive settings, 0.95 will be closer to your shaving experience.

I usually use R2/R3/R4 in Rockwell 6s, and I will use it to shave my head, so I choose 0.68sc to make sure I am relaxed enough.

If you prefer aggressive settings, 0.95 will be closer to your shaving experience.

I usually use R2/R3/R4 in Rockwell 6s, and I will use it to shave my head, so I choose 0.68sc to make sure I am relaxed enough.
Thank you for the advice sir.

I've used all iterations of the top cap & baseplate. My preference (and my preference will probably not be what you will like) is for the scalloped top cap & safety bar or scalloped baseplate.
I think the scalloped top cap is so gorgeous and makes the Timeless razor unique. Shame that more of them don't pop up on BST.

Open Comb 0.68 is perfect for me. I like a bit of blade feel. I find this razor plenty efficient and smooth.

Open Comb 0.68 is perfect for me. I like a bit of blade feel. I find this razor plenty efficient and smooth.
How much blade feel is there on the .68 OC? Does it require so much concentration not to cut yourself?

Hi there. I’ve been reading a lot about how good the ti timeless is. I’m planning to pull the trigger on it. Its just so hard for me to decide which base plate and gap I should get. My current rotation is Rockwell 6s plates 5 and 6, Muhle r89 grande, Parker Variant on 3 or 4 settings and Merkur 34c. Im new to wet shaving and lately Ive been enjoying the mid to aggressive settings. I know I still have a lot to learn but my RAD for the timeless is very strong. I cant help it. I’m from the Philippines so I’m sure that I won’t be able to enjoy the 30 day return policy for the razor will get here after a month or 2 after I ordered it. I usually shave every 4 to 6 days and my facial hair is more on the regular side. I also dont have sensitive skin. My plan is to get the scalloped .95 gap and dc scalloped/oc .68 gap. Or should I get dc scalloped/oc .95 gap and scalloped .68? Or scalloped .95 and .68. Im kinda scared of the OC plate because I havent tried one. Im also open for suggestions on other razors so I can add them to my “to get” list.
My suggestion since you are located in the Philippines would be the same as @dmshaver and contact Timeless for some recommendations. I would personally suggest though that whichever, SB or SC, you should pair it with the OC in both .68 and .95 plates. I switched from a Ti95SB that I purchased back in 2018 to DC OC/SB a year ago and haven't looked back and couldn't be happier!! The OC is for the 1st pass WTG and the SB is for the 2nd pass ATG for a guaranteed BBS that lasts 20+hrs and fits into my shaving schedule perfectly because I only shave every other day. I have often thought of buying a DC68 plate but I'm sure I wouldn't use it that often and I am a true minimalist with my razors since receiving the Ti95SB in 2018. All other razors were all sold off as I just never reached for them anymore and none could match the shave I was getting with the Timeless...

My Ti95DC
Ti95DC.jpg

My suggestion since you are located in the Philippines would be the same as @dmshaver and contact Timeless for some recommendations. I would personally suggest though that whichever, SB or SC, you should pair it with the OC in both .68 and .95 plates. I switched from a Ti95SB that I purchased back in 2018 to DC OC/SB a year ago and haven't looked back and couldn't be happier!! The OC is for the 1st pass WTG and the SB is for the 2nd pass ATG for a guaranteed BBS that lasts 20+hrs and fits into my shaving schedule perfectly because I only shave every other day. I have often thought of buying a DC68 plate but I'm sure I wouldn't use it that often and I am a true minimalist with my razors since receiving the Ti95SB in 2018. All other razors were all sold off as I just never reached for them anymore and none could match the shave I was getting with the Timeless...

My Ti95DC
View attachment 1120135
Thank you for the advice sir. On the OC side, will it cut you if you arent careful enough? How much of a difference is it on the SB side? Havent used an OC razor.

Thank you for the advice sir. On the OC side, will it cut you if you arent careful enough? How much of a difference is it on the SB side? Havent used an OC razor.
The .95 will get you in any iteration if your not mindful of what you're doing but I've been using it so long and know it so well I can zip around comfortably. I wouldn't say the OC would cut you any easier than the SB but I can tell you that during my 1st pass with the OC plate I remove probably 95%+ of my stubble. The 2nd pass is more like a clean up pass more than anything...

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Take care,
David

David pretty much nails it here.

I've got Ti95OC, and sometimes it's a bit much. It is an aggressive razor.

I've also got Ti68 scalloped, and it gets used more - maybe 75%/25% between these two.

I've also got both topcaps, never thought if THEY make a difference!

Will say, I'm just not using any other razor; Timeless titanium takes over!

Good luck.

AA

On my 2nd Timeless razor in the space of a month. Both purchased directly from Timeless Razor.
They allow 30 day returns minus $10 for return shipping only if purchased through them.

The 1st razor was Stainless Steel with pineapple handle, solid base plate and .68 scalloped cap.
Handle was the perfect length, at first I liked the weight (it's heavy) but later found that it wasn't as agile as my lighter razors. After failing to love it 100% I returned it to Timeless. They were super helpful.

The 2nd razor was the Titanium version, shorter handle unfortunately with solid base plate and .68 scalloped cap.
I'm now finding this razor too light :facep:

I prefer mild razors so can't comment on the .95
This razor is a little more aggressive than my Feather AS-D2 but way less aggressive than my Rex Ambassador on setting #1. I would say it's closer to an R2 plate on Rockwell 6S.

IMG_3610 3.JPG

On my 2nd Timeless razor in the space of a month. Both purchased directly from Timeless Razor.
They allow 30 day returns minus $10 for return shipping only if purchased through them.

The 1st razor was Stainless Steel with pineapple handle, solid base plate and .68 scalloped cap.
Handle was the perfect length, at first I liked the weight (it's heavy) but later found that it wasn't as agile as my lighter razors. After failing to love it 100% I returned it to Timeless. They were super helpful.

The 2nd razor was the Titanium version, shorter handle unfortunately with solid base plate and .68 scalloped cap.
I'm now finding this razor too light :facep:
Interesting. Almost all of my razors are stainless steel and I'm fine with them. But I figured that with its bulk, the stainless Timeless would be too heavy. With similar logic, I figured maybe the titanium Timeless would be good -- even if other titanium razors are too light, the bulk of the Timeless would compensate. Guess that's not the case?

Top Bottom