What's new

Help with the razor identification needed

Hello guys! Could you please help me with my new fimnd identification? I could not find any information about this one. It says "Guesdon a caen". Maybe anyone has some information abvout this manufacturer? It has wedge ground. Thanks guys!
🙏
247972469_5131064060242415_8378701847509211319_n.jpg
248253333_5131064023575752_4332840480349805954_n.jpg

Legion

Staff member
I've not seen that brand before, but from the style I would say mid 19th century, and Caen is an area of northern France, so I guess that is where it was made.

I've not seen that brand before, but from the style I would say mid 19th century, and Caen is an area of northern France, so I guess that is where it was made.
Jesus Christ, I got this razor for 13€, I feel like I stole it.

Thanks, Legion! More information from other forum members would be greatly appretiated!

Legion

Staff member
Jesus Christ, I got this razor for 13€, I feel like I stole it.

Thanks, Legion! More information from other forum members would be greatly appretiated!
Good deal. My go to razor is French and of a similar age. Should be a good shaver once restored.

I am pretty sure Guesdon is not the brand as Caen is not a city where razor makers were. It is more likely that Guesdon was a barber based in Caen who got his razors customized, or a cutler re-selling rebranded razors. A lot of Thiers-Issard were re-sold like that either rebranded or with dual branding.
You might want to compare the blade shape with other French razors from the same time to identify who actually made it.
It kind of looks like a Dumas to me.

I am pretty sure Guesdon is not the brand as Caen is not a city where razor makers were. It is more likely that Guesdon was a barber based in Caen who got his razors customized, or a cutler re-selling rebranded razors. A lot of Thiers-Issard were re-sold like that either rebranded or with dual branding.
You might want to compare the blade shape with other French razors from the same time to identify who actually made it.
It kind of looks like a Dumas to me.
Hello, thanks for the response! Maybe you know where I should investigate more in this?

Tbh, probably the bay or google images is the best place to do that research.

Please definitely post back when you get that cleaned up! Looks like a great candidate for a restoration

Top Bottom