What's new

Help with recent flea market finds

I've been pushing straight razors out of the way at flea markets for the past 3 years to get to the safety razors until about 2 weeks ago. While browsing around at one of my favorite flea markets, I saw one made in Sweden with a shark on the blade that looked interesting so on a whim I bought it, little did I know what was going to happen next. I developed a level of SRAD that I never knew existed.

Obviously, I have no idea what I'm doing here, so if you guys would be so kind as to look at my purchases and tell me good or bad and why. Some are dirty, some have a little rust, and some look (to me) pretty nice. What I'm wanting to do is put the ones aside that need too much work so I don't wast my time or any more money.

I would also appreciate any information on them like dates and history if you have any. Thanks

I have a lot of pictures so I'll only post a few at a time starting with the 2 I picked up today.

The first on is a Wade and Butcher. This one looks pretty nice to me.
2019-01-25 14.16.49.jpg

2019-01-25 14.16.58.jpg

2019-01-25 14.17.11.jpg

The next one is French. Anyone know anything about this manufacturer? Pictures really don't due this one justice.
2019-01-25 14.19.38.jpg

2019-01-25 14.20.50.jpg

2019-01-25 14.21.10.jpg

Here'my other 2 Wade & Butcher's. I noticed that the third one has no symbol on it, would it be newer or older?
2019-01-25 14.31.55.jpg

2019-01-25 14.32.07.jpg

2019-01-25 15.19.05.jpg

2019-01-25 15.19.24.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice razors. I know nothing about straights but I think you have done very well with those razors.

Pre 1890 McKinley Tariff on those Sheffield only Wade and Butcher razors. After the tariff imposition, the country of origin was required.

Chinese Porcelain Glossary: McKinley Tariff Act of 1890

• "That on and after the first day of March, eighteen hundred and ninety-one, all articles of foreign manufacture, such as are usually or ordinarily marked, stamped, branded or labelled, and all packages containing such or other imported articles, shall, respectively, be plainly marked, stamped, branded, or labeled in legible English words, so as to indicate the country of their origin; and unless so marked, stamped or branded, or labeled they shall not be admitted to entry."

Nice razors. I know nothing about straights but I think you have done very well with those razors.

Thanks.

Pre 1890 McKinley Tariff on those Sheffield only Wade and Butcher razors. After the tariff imposition, the country of origin was required.

Chinese Porcelain Glossary: McKinley Tariff Act of 1890

• "That on and after the first day of March, eighteen hundred and ninety-one, all articles of foreign manufacture, such as are usually or ordinarily marked, stamped, branded or labelled, and all packages containing such or other imported articles, shall, respectively, be plainly marked, stamped, branded, or labeled in legible English words, so as to indicate the country of their origin; and unless so marked, stamped or branded, or labeled they shall not be admitted to entry."

Thanks for the information. So, is pre 1890 on the Wade & Butchers and post 1890 on the other 2 the closest that we can get? I think I read somewhere that after a certain date it also had to include "made in". Is that correct? I've read so much in the last 2 weeks that it's all running together.

What about if it has no city of origin also? And some only have a symbol.

I think maybe I'm putting too much into this. Thanks again for your help.

You did well .All the razors are in very good shape .Just need a little cleaning and a honing .The brands you purchased are very good manufactures .You will be very pleased with the blades performance once properly honed .I would recommend doc226 for the honing .He is a true artist of the craft .

The 2 W&B have some serious hone wear but could be good shavers. If you want to have two of them honed so you can learn to use a SR id say the Hess and Ern are in the best shape. All of them are good razors. If you want to clean them up yourself start by killing by dragging the edge across a glass to be sure its not razor sharp. It will still cut you if your not carful. Then take some metal polish and steel wool to the blades. This is the beginning steps of cleaning them up. Then send them out for honing.

You made good choices. The Hess is top notch when it comes to straights.

Top Bottom