What's new

Help with Personna blades

That makes sense. Except the price of specialized automated machinery and procedures must be factored in, PLUS the even bigger question do ice-tempered DE blades give a bottom-line corporate profit payoff in this age of cartridges, canned goo, and unshaven faces? That is a very large question.

I respectfully suggest not one adult male in 500 has heard or cares about ice-tempered DE blades. Any faithful customers surely would be a most tiny niche. I've never heard of ice tempered blades until this week, and for the past 10 years I've spent several hours daily on the shaving blogs, though I admit I've spent little time on the topic of blades. Thanks to all for today's learning experience.

If you purchase a Merkur razor, it usually comes with a tuck of Merkur "ice tempered" blades. If you purchase a Van der Hagen razor at your local pharmacy, it will come with a tuck of VDH "Ice tempered" blades. That is how I learned about them You can also purchase VDH blades at the same stores that sell VDH razors. However, I found the blades to be horrible, even worse than Derby Extra blades for my beard. For a young man just starting to shave, the "ice tempered" blade might be wonderful, but they do not work for my old-man beard.

Furthermore, the Merkur blades are among the most expensive blades you can buy. There are far better blades available at less expensive prices; that is why you seldom see "ice tempered" blades mentioned in the forums.

Although many platinum blades are great, they vary significantly. The ones I mentioned in my earlier post are quite sharp. However, I much prefer Astra Superior Stainess blades to Astra Superior Platinum. Applying a platinum coating does not magically produce a great edge.
That's good to know. Life is not simple.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I think most people will agree that Merkur blades are lousy. But German-made Timor blades, which are ice-tempered, are very good IMO, but also very expensive. Bolzano, which is also made in Germany, is in my opinion a very nice blade which costs less than Timor. I have around 200 of them. A few years ago Souplex blades (yellow and blue packaging) were still available at a very reasonable price and were really good. It's a shame they are not available anymore. As to the new German personna blades - I suspect that they are not up to the level of the Israeli Reds which were widely available and relatively cheap, and very highly regarded by all. In my opinion the Israeli Reds were the best bang for the buck in the blade market. If they indeed are going to disappear it will be a great loss. As to the German Wilkies - for me they are not an option - can't stand them. So... German blades are a mixed bag.

A while back I decided to stick to actual resources to get my Personna blades. The Personna Labs I get from an actual laboratory supply company, EMS.

The Medical Prep blades I get from a real medical supply company, Robbins.

I may pay a little more in shipping but I know I am getting the real thing.

I have dealt with the above two companies for years.

A while back I decided to stick to actual resources to get my Personna blades. The Personna Labs I get from an actual laboratory supply company, EMS.

The Medical Prep blades I get from a real medical supply company, Robbins.

I may pay a little more in shipping but I know I am getting the real thing.

I have dealt with the above two companies for years.
Thanks for that information. Do you feel that there is a considerable difference between the Labs and the Med Preps?

Top Bottom