What's new

Help with My Neck Area

Hello all,

So I have been wet shaving for the last 6 months or so and it has really improved my shaving experience. I have a beard but shave my neck and head. I have two problem areas, the first being the back portion of my neck which has caused me to go back to a cart for this area, currently using an Atra and very happy with it. The other problem area is the lower portion of my neck (front) where there is a patch of hair that grows in the opposite direction and lays flat on my face.

The hair grows upwards whereas the rest of my hair grows sideways from the centre line. I have shaved every which was here but I get irritation no matter what I do. Going with the grain results in the least amount of irritation during the shave (next to none) but the hairs are still visible as they lay almost flat on my neck. These hairs are also much coarser than the rest. With the grain also seems to "sharpen" these hairs which leads to further irritation in the days following the shave. My choice of razors and blades do not seem to help but maybe my razors are too mild? This is what I have in my rotation:

1940's Milord
1950's Flare Tip Rocket
58 Fatboy
66 Slim
Post War Canadian Tech
Slim Twist
Merkur 38c
EJ Kelvin

I have a pre-war Canadian tech, late 40s Aristocrat and Short Comb New on the way.

Someone was saying that an open comb is better at getting the hairs that lay flat along the skin. Is there any truth in this? My next shave will be with the Gillette new which is due on Friday (excited).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You guys (and gals) are awesome

I have found that an injector razor works very well for those hard to get at areas like the back of my jaws.

Injectors are cheap, but the blades are a trifle more expensive than DE blades. However, I can get 25 or more shaves from an injector blade, so they're not as expensive as you might think.

The Gillette NEWs are Great Razors, But you must show them respect .
light pressure

I can't wait to try mine, I sent it to my sister's to save on shipping (she lives in Buffalo). She is visiting this week and bringing my razor hoard haha. Can't wait.

Not sure if it will help you, but my neck line is, was, an issue for me. However over the last few shaves I've combined the J-Hook with Buffing and my neck have been irritation free and BBS everything since.

+1. Also be careful of your razor angle.
Ditto...I have this same weird hair direction. I pull my skin left then a light pass and then right for a light second pass. Seems to work every time.

I will agree that an open comb razor does a better job of lifting these particularly pesky hairs.

I think a cartridge is best for the back of the neck. For the front I'd just use plenty of lather, stretch the skin and try different directions. If you are getting irritation you probably aren't stretching or using enough lather.

Top Bottom