What's new

Help with my Kent Blk 12

I’ve had my Kent Blk 12 for about 9 months now. I never use it anymore. It has no backbone. Because of that I cannot face lather effectively.

It’s also a lather hog. I load it for about a minute. I can only get through one pass usually before I’m out of lather.

I’d love to figure out how to use this better, can anyone give me some tips how to use a lather-hogging no-backbone silvertip?

I have a bk12 i got used. Right now i only use it with a razorock soap. It loads well and releases alot. I use it with a 5 1/2 inch bowl. I usually load until i have a quasi lather from the soap then go to the bowl.

It is the nature of the brush. Use more product.
+1
Says it all really.

I've a BK12, and I have to load longer. Remember the BK12 holds a lot more water than is apparent - thus you've got to load more product. It goes with the territory of having a large brush.
The another tip is not to splay the brush too quickly when you face lather giving circular motions, this allows the soap to work its way into the bristles from the tips to mid and then to base this builds the lather within the bristles.
It's all in the wrist action :001_rolle.

You need to understand product to water ratio with a brush this size. I'd even say don't change soaps either - keep the variables the same at this moment. Keep using brush/soap for a week and don't change brushes until you got it mastered.

You should by then have tamed the BK12 and understand it's pronounced characteristics that are usually more in large brushes.

It's a great brush. Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
I’ve had my Kent Blk 12 for about 9 months now. I never use it anymore. It has no backbone. Because of that I cannot face lather effectively.

It’s also a lather hog. I load it for about a minute. I can only get through one pass usually before I’m out of lather.

I’d love to figure out how to use this better, can anyone give me some tips how to use a lather-hogging no-backbone silvertip?

Kent brushes are not lather hogs because are not that overly densely packed. Blk 12 though is a very big brush, which holds tremendous amounts of water, so load the brush well with a lot of soap. A lot of water + a lot of soap = copious amounts of lather. I have a Kent H4, which is 1/3 the size of your brush and i have enough lather for 4-5 passes. In order to face lather efficiently you don't have to have a brush with a lot of backbone, just don't crush the brush into your cheeks, but just let the tips to do the job. The tips of the brush are producing lather. Use at the begging swirl motions if you wish, and then paint motions. Do that and you will be happy with your brush. Just learn how to use it.

Kent brushes are not lather hogs because are not that overly densely packed. Blk 12 though is a very big brush, which holds tremendous amounts of water, so load the brush well with a lot of soap. A lot of water + a lot of soap = copious amounts of lather. I have a Kent H4, which is 1/3 the size of your brush and i have enough lather for 4-5 passes. In order to face lather efficiently you don't have to have a brush with a lot of backbone, just don't crush the brush into your cheeks, but just let the tips to do the job. The tips of the brush are producing lather. Use at the begging swirl motions if you wish, and then paint motions. Do that and you will be happy with your brush. Just learn how to use it.
I’ve been working on my technique with my Blk 12 for the past few months. The problem has been that I’ve been pushing down to hard(crushing) like you’ve said. As I’ve concentrated more on letting the tips do the work I’ve had great success. I try to imagine I’m rubbing a little pillow across my face and I try not to compress my little pretend pillow. My imagery is a little weird but it really has helped. Looking forward to using it more, thanks so much for the great suggestions!

Top Bottom