What's new

Help with Merkur Futur and DE Shaving please

Hello everyone,

I have been reading the forums for several weeks and appreciate all of the good information. However, I have some problems with DE shaving that are still unresolved. I hope you can help. I have been using a Futur with Merkur and feather blades for about 2 months.

I have tried all of the techniques -- Taylor shave cream, soap, shave brush, after a shower, in the shower, Cremo Cream, Nanka shave gel, other gels, creams/soaps with the same problem. Blade setting from 1 to 2.5.

Irritation is not that bad, however, the only way I can get a very smooth shave is to go against the grain. It is the best shave ever, Unfortunately, after about 24 hours if I try it again, my skin and whiskers feel bumpy and irritated. It seems the only way to duplicate the great shave is to wait about 36 hours. But during that time, it looks like I have not shaved in a day, which defeats the purpose!

I decided to switch from a Mach 3 due to bad razor bumps on my neck. I have a very thick/coarse beard.

Would a more agressive blade setting help or a different technique help? Thank you.

C.

C,

I can't help with advice on the Futur (I've never used one) but have a few questions for you anyway.
  • How long have you been DE shaving?
  • Have you shaved with any other DE razors besides the Futur?
  • If yes, which one/s and did the same set of problems exist
If you are relatively new to wet shaving, it could simply be the "adjustment" period. In my experience, it took a while for my face to get used to the DE and it took even longer for me to iron out some minute inconsistencies in blade angle that ended up making a HUGE difference (specifically in the neck and jawline areas where the hair can grow a little crazy and the surface to be shaved is not flat).

If the Futur is the only razor you have used or the only razor that produces these issues for you, then you might consider trying a different razor for a while.

Finally, the issues could still be, in part, due to the blades. Every gent's face will react differently to each blade. For some guys, Feather's and/or Merkur's are the best shavers on the market. For me, neither one loves my face like a Derby. You might consider contacting LetterK (a member here). He is currently selling blade samplers which could give you the chance to try out several different kinds of blades that are normally only available when purchased by the 100.

Anyway, half the fun of DE shaving is experimenting around until you find the brush/cream or soap/razor/blade etc. that help you to most easily achieve your shaving zen.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Kyle,

Thanks for the prompt reply! To answer your questions:

First and onlyt DE razor is the Futur and for only two months total.

Is it common to shave against the grain?

Thanks again,

C.

Chewy said:
Kyle,

Thanks for the prompt reply! To answer your questions:

First and onlyt DE razor is the Futur and for only two months total.

Is it common to shave against the grain?

Thanks again,

C.

Yes, it's common, but when you are in the learning stages, I would suggest skipping it for now. Focus on the with the grain passes. After you get your technique "tweaked", then add an against the grain pass. Again, work on technique and eventually add the against the grain pass. You have some learning to do, and your face has to adjust to your new tool.

Randy

Great advice from Randy.

My lack of experience with the Futur prevents me from commenting on it's ease of use (or user friendliness, if you will). I can, however, vouch for the HD and additionally, have just recently tried a Progress, and am stunned by how forgiving this razor can be. Some of our more widely versed shave scholars may be able to better recommend whether or not a temporary change of razor may be in order.

One interesting thing to keep in mind while shaving: When your whiskers remain warm and wet (like they should be), they swell up or increase in size. This allows you to more easily cut them and once they have dried back out, they will shrink (ever so slightly) back under the skin line. I mention this, because it is easy to get obsessive during the final passes and over-shave yourself. If you back off a little bit, you may find that stubble that was noticeable to the touch while the beard is "swollen", will disappear after it has dried.

guenron said:
Chewy,
You may wish to read this thread. It may prove to aid you in resolving your shave problems by broadening your technique.

Thanks for all of the replies and I have tried the above method. After all of the comments, I think I just might be "over-shaving". I still have some questions though.

Concerning the Futur razor: What settings do each of you use? I have tried anywhere from 1 to 3 -- is 4 or 5 better? It seems regardless of the setting, the shave quality is the same (not very close) unless I go against the grain.

Also, are there any guidelines on what Futur setting equals the Merkur HD fixed razor?

Thanks again.

Chewy

Chewy said:
Thanks for all of the replies and I have tried the above method. After all of the comments, I think I just might be "over-shaving". I still have some questions though.

Concerning the Futur razor: What settings do each of you use? I have tried anywhere from 1 to 3 -- is 4 or 5 better? It seems regardless of the setting, the shave quality is the same (not very close) unless I go against the grain.

Also, are there any guidelines on what Futur setting equals the Merkur HD fixed razor?

Thanks again.

Chewy
Interesting as you have "tried all of the techniques." The idea behind the 4-pass, other than shearing the whiskers in every which direction is whisker reduction. As you are having difficulties on the against the grain pass(es), it would seem that you have not gotten your whiskers reduced to the point where they will easily surrender to the against the grain scythe..
Increasing the amount of blade exposure may or may answer your problem. I find that the Futur with a fresh Feather yields best results for me at 6. for the first three passes and 4.5 for the fourth. Then again, my beard is not only tough, but wirey.. Do be light of touch if you go at the shrub at 6. It is very effective, but must be done slowly and lightly.

I am sure someone will come up with an equivalent blade setting, but they are very different razors. I do not believe their is a setting that gives the same exposure and curve.

Ron,

How aggressive is setting 6 on the Futur and would I be better off starting with a different razor?

So far, it seems that with the grain, across the grain and anything but against the grain yield a sub-par shave (but with much less irritation and eventual razor bumps) than the old mach 3/and or sensor shave.

The bottom line is I can finally go against the grain with no initial irritation, but it seems to just shave so close, that the following day I will start to get razor bumps, etc, just like the mach 3 type razors.

Thanks.

Chewy

Chewy said:
Ron,

How aggressive is setting 6 on the Futur and would I be better off starting with a different razor?

So far, it seems that with the grain, across the grain and anything but against the grain yield a sub-par shave (but with much less irritation and eventual razor bumps) than the old mach 3/and or sensor shave.

The bottom line is I can finally go against the grain with no initial irritation, but it seems to just shave so close, that the following day I will start to get razor bumps, etc, just like the mach 3 type razors.

Thanks.

Chewy
It is extremely aggressive. When I get to the fourth pass, against the grain, there is almost nothing to shear. As long as I keep the light touch, I have no irritation all week long..YMMV

Ron,

Thanks again for the ideas. I bumped the setting up from a 3 to a 4 now and it seems to help. I used a merkur blade and setting 4 seemed to cut smoother and with no nick/cuts whatsoever. I went with and across the grain, but not against yet. I'm still trying to perfect your four pass method, but I think the suggestion to increase the setting is a start in the right direction.

C.

Top Bottom