What's new

Help with Merkur DE 15C

I received my first DE razor about a week ago and shaving has been nothing but pure pain and discomfort. I have been following various forums as well as YouTube advice without success. Tonight however I think I have discovered the problem and need advice. I have been using the razor with feather blades and after multiple passes I have major stubble remaining. Which leads to more passes more pressure etc. I have switched blades several times thinking maybe the blade was dull. When I removed the blade tonight I examined it closely and used it to slice through a tissue like butter. A little confused, I carefully held the blade and gently scrapped it across the back of my hand. The hairs melted off without any effort. Now thoroughly confused, I replaced the blade and tried the razor on my hand. Although I could feel the scraping of the blade the hairs are being sliced well above the surface of my skin requiring more pressure for a closer shave which is what I have been experiencing. I have now discovered that if I tighten the handle snugly (until the head and blade don't rattle) the angle of the blade is so curved that it nearly lies flat on the safety bar and when the angle is found the blade does not touch the skin. However, if I leave the handle loose where the head rattles the angle of the blade is less pronounced, the angle to shave is easily found, and the hairs on my hand virtually fall off just with the sight of the razor. I believe this is what should be happening on my face. Have I purchased the wrong razor? Could this one be defective? Am I not understanding something about this razor? Any suggestions, advice, insight will be greatly appreciated. I would have tried my theory tonight but my face is so tore up from this week that I will need to wait a day or so.

The 15C, and all other open comb Merkurs, have a very small blade gap and exposure. This means that they only shave well within very limited tolerances; this is the reason why it is easier for you to shave with it when you loosen it (which you should never do imo).

Experiment a bit with the angle, using short strokes, should help you find the right way with this razor; it is mild but capable of decent shaves once you get it right. Avoid pressure to compensate for bad angles because razor burn is the price to pay. Try to find the right sound; every razor/blade gives a specific sound when cutting the hairs properly making it easier to keep your angles right.

I have an 11c open comb. It has the same issue of not enough blade gap. I took two previously used DE blades and used scissors to cut the sharp edges off. I use them as shims under my new blade. So essentially you have 3 blades in the razor but only one blade has a cutting edge. Keep the shims and re-use them every time you change blades. This helped create a small blade gap but, it is still a very mild shaver. Get yourself a 34C HD. It performs very well.

Well I experimented with the razor handle not all the way tightened. Wow what a difference. I guess the 15C is just not for me. With a larger blade gap I could easily find the angle and hear and feel the vibration of the razor. After three passes there were only a few areas needing attention. No razor burn, no bumps, clean and smooth. I have no problems with a more agressive angle. I used the alum block afterwards, wow what a difference is all I can say. I realize that it's just me and the angle of the 15C and I'm ok with that, some people might want to dedicate their life to achieve the perfect shave with the 15C. That's just not for me. So now I'm trying to find a razor with a bigger gap more agressive style. I've read the articles that list some razors but would really appreciate suggestions. Is there a razor that will achieve what I was able to do with the Merkur not tightened all the way? The 34C HD was suggested from above. Are there others any would suggest? Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
You might look at one of the slants next.

A lot of people enjoy using these.

proxy.php

some people might want to dedicate their life to achieve the perfect shave with the 15C. That's just not for me.
:lol: I doubt that people are dedicating their lives to finding the perfect angle with the 15C. If you aren't cutting close with little to no pressure try tilting the razor slightly, if you still aren't cutting close try tilting the razor ever so slightly more, and so on. If you use your arm or a leg or something with no lather to test this, finding the right angle should only take about 30 seconds. From there on, it just takes practice to maintain the angle.

Some people prefer razors with more blade gap, so getting one isn't an altogether bad idea. But, getting a more aggressive razor because you weren't willing to find the right angle with a less aggressive one is like buying a Corvette ZR1 because you couldn't figure out how to use the clutch on your brand new Toyota Corolla.

But, getting a more aggressive razor because you weren't willing to find the right angle with a less aggressive one is like buying a Corvette ZR1 because you couldn't figure out how to use the clutch on your brand new Toyota Corolla.

Funny stuff. Could be that I bought a Corolla and now realized its not going to do 0-60 in 7 seconds so now I'll look for something that meets my needs...like the ZR1.

I had a hard time finding the proper angle with my 33C, and comparing the design of the head on it with the gillette slim it seems like the head really isn't that well thought out. And I also found a great many problems when trying to get it to cut just right. Keep practicing and one day you'll get the hang of it out of the blue and get a really nice BBS shave. The 33C is notable for having very little audio feedback, but what you want is no pressure at all and the sound of hairs being sliced off.

DO NOT apply pressure, if you're putting pressure on the head then your angle is wrong and you need to try changing that. Hold the razor halfway down the handle and let the weight of the razor do the work for you. It sounds like a cliche because everyone says it, but it's just true, when you find that sweet spot you'll wonder how you ever did it wrong. Also I've found that merkurs are very sensitive to what kind of blade you use, dull or low quality blades just cut you up no matter how easy you go.

Last edited:
You want a larger effective angle? Try a vintage Gillette adjustable like a Slim or a Fatboy. Or try a Merkur Futur. Plenty of blade gap on that puppy.

I can understand wanting a more aggressive razors, but 15c ought to cut hair more effectively than what the OP has described.

Noddy, are you sure you have the base plate the right way up? I believe the 15c can be assembled upside-down, which will make it difficult to cut any hair. The pictures at 3_Pieces_DE_assembly should make that clear. Or if not, your 15c could indeed be defective: a photo of the razor might help, preferably with a blade visible.

I have read many postings of people saying that a milder razor requires more passes, more passes more irritation? Without the head snug I am able to make 3 light passes and very few touch ups. Afterwards I had no razor burn or irritation. I tried again tonight with the razor snug. The razor is cutting, I'm making short chopping strokes, the problem is that even after 3 passes I still require another pass and then spots all over that need touching up. The irritation and razor burn are once again back. I have also noticed that the blade sticks out further on one side than the other. I tried Feather and Astra blades. You can feel the difference just by gently rubbing your finger on one side then the other. One side of the razor shaves differently than the other. I tried to take a picture so that the difference from left to right can be seen. One side has a slightly bigger gap. The left side lays nearly flat on the comb and barely shaves the other side stands up and shaves better but still not what I consider good. I'm curious if anyone from the posts above has a 15C and might have noticed the same things I have. I've ordered the 34C and will see if the situation improves. Well the pics didn't post I'll try posting them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Honestly, try another razor with adjustments. Like A Slim and set it at 4 and work your way up the aggressive ladder.:wink2:

I received my first DE razor about a week ago and shaving has been nothing but pure pain and discomfort. I have been following various forums as well as YouTube advice without success. Tonight however I think I have discovered the problem and need advice. I have been using the razor with feather blades and after multiple passes I have major stubble remaining. Which leads to more passes more pressure etc. I have switched blades several times thinking maybe the blade was dull. When I removed the blade tonight I examined it closely and used it to slice through a tissue like butter. A little confused, I carefully held the blade and gently scrapped it across the back of my hand. The hairs melted off without any effort. Now thoroughly confused, I replaced the blade and tried the razor on my hand. Although I could feel the scraping of the blade the hairs are being sliced well above the surface of my skin requiring more pressure for a closer shave which is what I have been experiencing. I have now discovered that if I tighten the handle snugly (until the head and blade don't rattle) the angle of the blade is so curved that it nearly lies flat on the safety bar and when the angle is found the blade does not touch the skin. However, if I leave the handle loose where the head rattles the angle of the blade is less pronounced, the angle to shave is easily found, and the hairs on my hand virtually fall off just with the sight of the razor. I believe this is what should be happening on my face. Have I purchased the wrong razor? Could this one be defective? Am I not understanding something about this razor? Any suggestions, advice, insight will be greatly appreciated. I would have tried my theory tonight but my face is so tore up from this week that I will need to wait a day or so.

your 1st razor should be a milder one like a super speed/1940's or slim and updgrade you get better at shaving and its techniques. We all have different skins and hairs, whats mild for me may not be for you. So try a mild razor and see what is best for you as you get better at shaving:wink2:

Top Bottom