What's new

Help with large pin hole on blade.

Hi guys, forgive me if this might have already been covered. Last great I bought a relatively cheap SR from a popular auction site which came from China. I wasn't expecting much just something I could practice honing on. It was a ZY razor called Poseidon.
Instead of having the normal brass pinning out had some sort of abomination consisting of Phillips screws that held the razor and scales in place. Ultimately whenever I opened the razor the scales would become extremely loose. They couldbe tightened but would not stay rtight.
So....I bought some new scales and have cut the old scales off with a Dremel because those screws would not come out...at all. Here's where I would appreciate some wise advice.
Can I fill the pin hole that is much larger in diameter than the brass rod with epoxy? If so do I just need to sand that flat and drill a proper diameter hole in said epoxy filled hole and go about peening as usual?
Thank you for your help!

Here's a picture of the razor with the scales and screw.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-27-13-44-34.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-27-13-44-34.png
    138.8 KB · Views: 24
Can I fill the pin hole that is much larger in diameter than the brass rod with epoxy? If so do I just need to sand that flat and drill a proper diameter hole in said epoxy filled hole and go about peening as usual?

I am doing this right now. The advice I see is a) insert a brass tube that has a 1/16th inner diameter or b) fill with epoxy and drill 1/16th hole or c) don't worry about it -- it doesn't affect anything.

For my part, I used epoxy and drilled a smaller hole. It will be fully cured when I get home. I was very careful to make sure the hole was straight, because I have a tapered tang. I am not sure I got the drill through the center and may have drilled closer to the edge of the original hole. That may weaken the support, but not sure yet.

Should I sand the to epoxy after it's fully cured?
I am doing this right now. The advice I see is a) insert a brass tube that has a 1/16th inner diameter or b) fill with epoxy and drill 1/16th hole or c) don't worry about it -- it doesn't affect anything.

For my part, I used epoxy and drilled a smaller hole. It will be fully cured when I get home. I was very careful to make sure the hole was straight, because I have a tapered tang. I am not sure I got the drill through the center and may have drilled closer to the edge of the original hole. That may weaken the support, but not sure yet.

Hi Sir!!! I use brass tubes to get me down to 1.6mm or 1/16th, but you can use epoxy and drill it and yes sand it with a fine grit just to remove the excess from the sides.

As when you peen you dont want it pinching to much, as it is just a friction in a fair sized area that holds the scales from moving.
All your doing is a guide to take any wobble out and keep it straight, but that is the main key keeping it straight as if the hole is off it will throw the whole blade out of centre.
In turn it could catch the scales when closing....

If my epoxy skills and drilling skills are not up to snuff, would anyone be willing to offer some of that brass tubing?
Fingers crossed the epoxy works XXX
Thank you for the info!

Don't sweat the size of the hole. Many of them are much larger than the typical 1/16" pin, and it really doesn't matter. Properly installed, the scales contact the tang quite firmly, and so long as you measure the wedge with the blade pulled all the way forward (so the toe doesn't hit it when closing), you will never know the hole is larger than the pin.

I suspect a lot of old blades have the pin stuck in accumulated crud, not a small hole in the tang.

Bush it if you like, but I don't think you will notice if you don't.

Good luck my friend and thank you for your advice. You should keep us updated on how it turns out.

It worked out fine. I trimmed off the excess epoxy with a safety razor blade after 2 hours, but before fully cured.

I like this method. The epoxy is secure, and won’t take much stress anyway.

Interestingly, tonight I was polishing up an old razor that has one of the big holes, without taking off the scales. I could feel the blade move forwards and back. I didn’t mess with it.

I didn't think of trimming it down with a razor blade before it fully cures! Mine is just about there now. I'll send her down a bit after work Thursday night and see if I have the energy to pin it.

I'm happy to hear you peening was a success!

Don't sweat the size of the hole. Many of them are much larger than the typical 1/16" pin, and it really doesn't matter. Properly installed, the scales contact the tang quite firmly, and so long as you measure the wedge with the blade pulled all the way forward (so the toe doesn't hit it when closing), you will never know the hole is larger than the pin.

I suspect a lot of old blades have the pin stuck in accumulated crud, not a small hole in the tang.

Bush it if you like, but I don't think you will notice if you don't.

I only plan on drilling the epoxy hole then leaning it. Thanks for the advice regarding pulling the blade forward to make sure it will clear... That was something I didn't even think about!

Sorry I am late to the thread, filling and drilling is fine, just drill out the hole to 1/8 and use a 1/16 size rod, this will alleviate the need to make sure the hole is perfectly perpendicular to the tang (not easy to do as most are tapered)

Another thing I have done is to use brass tubes and fill in that way. This is a little harder but I prefer it.

The brass tubes fit into each other, the smallest one should have an ID of 1/6, you can then use as many as needed to fill the hole.
proxy.php

proxy.php

This was on a Hart

Thanks for the tips Doc unfortunately I read it just after I drilled the epoxy. I will however keep this info in mind when a situation like this occurs again.
So the razor was centered good right up until final tightening. Is there a secret to preening it in a certain direction.

Thanks for the tips Doc unfortunately I read it just after I drilled the epoxy. I will however keep this info in mind when a situation like this occurs again.
So the razor was centered good right up until final tightening. Is there a secret to preening it in a certain direction.

You can move the blade a little bit you need to drill the holes on the scales slightly larger than the rod to allow movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom