What's new

Help with laptop hard drive (or laptop) replacement

Did you use the media creation tool to create bootable windows 10 media on that SD?
Yeah, I think so. I followed the instructions, took a couple of hours to download, and when look t it in other computer has folders named boot, efi, sources, and support.

You could try booting from it with the computer that created the media. Verify it's bootable.

I don't see a choice for SD
Choices are
intrrnal cd/dvd ROM drive
USB diskette on key/USB hard Disk
USB CD/DVD rom drive
! network adaptor

Where did you see this menu? USB hard disk should work if it's bootable. If this is from the 'F12' boot menu, try changing the order in the BIOS instead.

You could try booting from it with the computer that created the media. Verify it's bootable.

Where did you see this menu? USB hard disk should work if it's bootable. If this is from the 'F12' boot menu, try changing the order in the BIOS instead.
f10 menu then system configuration, and boot options f12 does nothing.

Boot from it with the computer that created the media. Same method. Boot menu/order.

Just don't proceed with install, of course. You just want to see if it boots into setup then cancel it immediately.

Point is, if the SD is bootable, then it's the other computer not reading it.

Or, you could just use a USB drive and see if that works. But there's no reason it shouldn't be able to boot from an SD. It's just mass storage.

But, if you have the SD in the reader and enter the BIOS, it should see it.

With the new drive installed, does the BIOS see that?

Also, we should probably take this to PM. This is cluttering this thread.

Is the SD recognized by the bios as a hard drive?
You probably can't boot from it until you install an OS

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys! I'm going to grab a USB zip drive after work today and try that, then let you know how it goes.

Is the SD recognized by the bios as a hard drive?
You probably can't boot from it until you install an OS

Sorry, I was thinking SSD, not Secure Digital when I responded.
I tried to delete the response, but failed, apparently
Mea Culpa

I picked up a card reader, put the card in, plugged it in, turned it on, and it recognized it. Installing windows now. :001_smile

It seems to be stuck in a loop. Says it's installing then brings me back to the licensing agreement and starts installing again.

Do you do programming or something related to computers? I just don't know why you decided to deal with this problem yourself, because it's not an easy thing. I also had problems with the loss of important information due to problems with the hard drive, and I just asked for help to make an external hard drive recovery. TBH, at first, I also thought about figuring it out myself, but I was afraid only to worsen the situation to the point that it would be impossible to restore something. I read many such stories online and decided that it wasn't worth the risk but contact a good company.

Top Bottom