What's new

Help with Kitchen knife storage.

I am wanting to get one of the knife organizers that go in to a drawer. I am expanding my collection of Zwilling K.A. Henckels knives and want to protect them.
Like this one:
proxy.php

Or this:
proxy.php

I want the storage to be safe for me and the knives.
With the slotted one I am not keen about storing the knife edge down as I am concerned about dulling the knives. But also concerned about spline down and have the sharp edge up.
Does the Knifedock style really protect the blade?
Thank you for any advise.

Last edited:
I like the style that hangs the knives above the counter. There is a wooden bar with a magnet behind it. The knives are accessible, out of the way, and can be left out to dry.

For longer term storage in a drawer, I think the cork ones are better. They are flexible and soft, should not damage your knives. I would not store them edge-up in a drawer.

Personally, I am not in favor of big collections and matching sets. Four or five knives is enough and they can come from any manufacturer mix and match.

I use a slotted wooden block as a knife organizer, an do not see it causing any problem with it dulling the blades. When they do get a little less sharp I use a good steel rod to bring the edge back to its sharpest.

The only thing that will dull your knives is glass cutting boards and not using a hone regularly. Henckels is a solid choice, though we have Wusthoff for the miss, and I use Shun with some big as handles since I have hams where my hands should be.

The shun goes in the countertop block, but the wusthoff sits in a holder like the first one along with our steak knives. I like them.

Absolutely do not store edge up. You will cut yourself one day, I 100% guarantee it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like the style that hangs the knives above the counter. There is a wooden bar with a magnet behind it. The knives are accessible, out of the way, and can be left out to dry.

For longer term storage in a drawer, I think the cork ones are better. They are flexible and soft, should not damage your knives. I would not store them edge-up in a drawer.

Personally, I am not in favor of big collections and matching sets. Four or five knives is enough and they can come from any manufacturer mix and match.
Same here, this is what I ordered:

That being said, a wooden knife holder will not damage the edge.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I don't have a huge number of knives in use, but the ones I use regularly are in a block like this, which is basically a box with thousands of plastic rods holding the knives in place. It seems to work well and does not dull the knives. I recommend one of these for a few knives, but you don't want to cram a whole bunch together. (I put four in there, probably wouldn't add more. Buy more blocks if you need more storage, they are not too expensive.)

DSC_5631_LR.jpg

I use a slotted wooden block as a knife organizer, an do not see it causing any problem with it dulling the blades. When they do get a little less sharp I use a good steel rod to bring the edge back to its sharpest.

Same here. Even if it did dull slightly over time, I'm fine with that trade off for safe and organized storage.

The magnetic holders make me nervous with having sharp knives just hanging out on the wall. I know odds are that they are totally fine if you mount them properly and in an appropriate spot...but the worrier in me just doesn't like it.

The way we use our kitchen we want a drawer organizer. Where we prep not good spot for a wall unit and we do not like the look of them. We have had the blocks on the past but again with this kitchen not a good place to put one.

I have read some reviews about people not liking the cork ones because the knives start to make the cork crumble.

I have the in drawer ones as I've been using them for years. The wife doesn't like knives out in the open as she's apparently watched too many horror movies.

I use them with Wustof Classic knives as well as some really expensive hand made Japanese knives and I haven't noticed any degrade in sharpness.

You're just setting them in the block as you would any other block or cutting board. The wood does not dull the blade any more than gently setting it down on a wooden cutting board would, which is what you'd use to cut on anyway.

It's likely better than using a knife block as you gently set it into the groove where with a knife block it could slide in running the edge along the wood block the entire time.

With the wall magnet ones you have to be careful when you place a knife onto it as if you lead with the edge as you get close the magnet can pull the knife in rather forcefully so if you're not careful you can damage the edge that way. The magnet has to be strong enough to keep the knife on the wall after all. You have to lead with the spine then roll the knife towards the wall to protect the edge. When I was looking at some knifes at a local William Sonoma a while back the edges were all chipped up or bent because of this. Their wall magnet units were metal and not wood and the magnets were quite strong. Maybe not as much of a concern with the one you'd buy but something to consider.

If any of these were made out of glass, ceramic or metal I'd tell you to skip it.

You're going to dull the knife a lot more any time you use it than when you place it in storage.

So much more important is likely your choice of cutting board. The very best to not dull your knives would be a nice end grain board that you'd likely want to hand wash, oil regularly and take care of. These will be the most expensive choice. So figure around $100 or more for a good one.

The non end grain ones aren't ideal but they'll work. They are easy to find and fairly inexpensive. They will just dull your knives a bit faster than end grain is all. Figure $20 to $30 here. Probably avoid bamboo if you can as it's a bit harder than you want for a cutting board.

Other choices are plastic (pack of three for under $20) which will definitely dull your knives equally fast or faster than a non end grain wood board but the distinct advantage is the ability to toss them in the dishwasher. So if you're cutting meat like chicken for example these can be really nice. Another nice thing is when they get worn over the years you just toss them and replace them.

Avoid glass cutting boards all together.

My high end Japanese knives only see a high quality end grain cutting boards. The others I'll use wood or plastic and sharpen them more often. You're going to have to sharpen them every so often anyway so it comes down to trade offs (like dishwasher compatibility, cost, or maintenance).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have the in drawer ones as I've been using them for years. The wife doesn't like knives out in the open as she's apparently watched too many horror movies.

I use them with Wustof Classic knives as well as some really expensive hand made Japanese knives and I haven't noticed any degrade in sharpness.

You're just setting them in the block as you would any other block or cutting board. The wood does not dull the blade any more than gently setting it down on a wooden cutting board would, which is what you'd use to cut on anyway.

It's likely better than using a knife block as you gently set it into the groove where with a knife block it could slide in running the edge along the wood block the entire time.

With the wall magnet ones you have to be careful when you place a knife onto it as if you lead with the edge as you get close the magnet can pull the knife in rather forcefully so if you're not careful you can damage the edge that way. The magnet has to be strong enough to keep the knife on the wall after all. You have to lead with the spine then roll the knife towards the wall to protect the edge. When I was looking at some knifes at a local William Sonoma a while back the edges were all chipped up or bent because of this. Their wall magnet units were metal and not wood and the magnets were quite strong. Maybe not as much of a concern with the one you'd buy but something to consider.

If any of these were made out of glass, ceramic or metal I'd tell you to skip it.

You're going to dull the knife a lot more any time you use it than when you place it in storage.

So much more important is likely your choice of cutting board. The very best to not dull your knives would be a nice end grain board that you'd likely want to hand wash, oil regularly and take care of. These will be the most expensive choice. So figure around $100 or more for a good one.

The non end grain ones aren't ideal but they'll work. They are easy to find and fairly inexpensive. They will just dull your knives a bit faster than end grain is all. Figure $20 to $30 here. Probably avoid bamboo if you can as it's a bit harder than you want for a cutting board.

Other choices are plastic (pack of three for under $20) which will definitely dull your knives equally fast or faster than a non end grain wood board but the distinct advantage is the ability to toss them in the dishwasher. So if you're cutting meat like chicken for example these can be really nice. Another nice thing is when they get worn over the years you just toss them and replace them.

Avoid glass cutting boards all together.

My high end Japanese knives only see a high quality end grain cutting boards. The others I'll use wood or plastic and sharpen them more often. You're going to have to sharpen them every so often anyway so it comes down to trade offs (like dishwasher compatibility, cost, or maintenance).
Because Jason Voorhees would never be so rude as to look through your drawers for a knife. :)

on edit: my wife keeps a hammer under the bed in case of zombies :lol:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

Exactly. A proper steeling (which I hope you would do, anyhow) is all you need to keep things working as they should.

Top Bottom