What's new

Help with info on an old straight (pre-1810)

So I recently picked up a old straight off the bay, took a chance on what I thought it might be. The seller didn't know much about it. I was wondering if anyone else had any insights on it.

but here's what I gather and estimate about it. it's got black horn scales, almost straight (slight warping), with an inlayed little metal "1" on it, the blade is straight through with no real heel or shoulder, a slight change where the edge starts, but that's about it. it's a full wedge grind with a slight smile as seen in pics, though I didn't get a pic of the end for the grind, but I can add that later. There is a slight hollow in the curvature of the blade itself, and it measures roughly 4/8. the tang is short and stubby, and somewhat flattened. There is a maker mark but it is mostly worn away from age.

Here's a couple quick pics:
front open:
proxy.php

back open:
proxy.php

front closed:
proxy.php

closeup of maker mark (the seller thought it might say "Sheffield" but that doesn't look like 2 F's after the E, I think it might say "SHEPHERD" or "SHEPHARD" its hard to tell) I used some harsh sidelighting on this to try and bring out the details, but I want to try a few more angles of the light to see if I can get anything more.
proxy.php

From what I can gather, I believe it to be late 1700's or maybe very early 1800's (maybe 1780-1810ish, probably closer to the 1790-1800 era), almost certainly pre 1810. according to Lummus in the article "old sheffield razors" published in 1922, there are a few descriptions and images that correspond to this estimation of the late 1700's. The shape, size and design of the blade also corresponds to other blades that are verified from the late 1700's, which lends some backing to that date estimation as well.

however this is my first real antique straight, so I'm no pro at dating these, so any additional help, or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT - this is also the condition I received it in, I haven't touched it for any cleaning or anything else.

Last edited:
It was probably one of a pair, hence the "1" on the scales.

There was also a well known maker called Marshes and Shepherd but don't think it's connected.

John Shepherd, Holles Croft St., Sheffield, 1770-1795.
Edward Shepherd, Sheffield, 1787.
Robert Shepherd, Norfolk St., Sheffield, 1787.

I seem to remember that John Shepherd used the "Wolf" brand on his razors so I'd say it'd be either Edward Shepherd or Robert Shepherd.

yeah, I don't think it's the shepherd from marshes & Shepherd either, and I don't think it's John shepherd since he's known for the wolf crown trademark. I hadn't heard of Edward or Robert though, thanks for sharing that. There was also a J. Shephard around 1817, but I think that's a bit late for this blade and his trademark info that I found was significantly different as well.

I'd concur that it's possibly from Edward or Robert given their dates of business as well. There is also a "SHEMELD" maker in 1774 that the lettering could fit, however I think the 1774 is a bit early for this one.

Although if we look at possible trademarks of the shepherds and shemeld they are different (although with the wear on this blade its possible that other markings have been lost to time: http://www.sha.org/assets/documents/Trademarks on Base-Metal Tableware.pdf
its also possible, that these trademark listings are not 100% accurate to razors since it is not a razor specific list. I still think Edward or Robert Shepherd are the most likely candidates.

I wondered if that "1" was like 1 of a set, or maybe a pair or something, or just a design. though it would seem odd to use a plain number as a design without some significance.

Last edited:
I like it very much. (Especially the "numbered" scale detail) Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I want to get some better detailed pictures, I also want to clean and preserve it. I will probably lightly touch up the edge and shave with it a few times just so I can say I shaved with a blade from the 1700's. but to me it's a piece of history more than a workhorse blade.

especially considering the dates of 1787 that the 2 possible "shepherd" makers were in business. that's the year the Constitution was adopted by a conference lead by George Washington. I love history, and I know this blades isn't really linked to those events specifically, its amazing to me that blades like this from that era are still floating around.

I have an identical razor clearly marked Shepherd, except with the number 2 on the scales. It does appear that these razors were part of a set.

Top Bottom