What's new

Help with ID of first injector razor

Just taken delivery of a dirt cheap Schick injector razor second hand in really great condition. Have been using Bic metal disposable, Gillette Guard and Broman recently and I find single edge so much easier to use than DE so far. Was tempted to wait for the new Parker Injector to be widely available in the UK but decided to go vintage. Bought some injector blades online and it seems good to go now I have figured out the loading process.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew what ‘version’ this is? Or if these razors can be dated in the same was as a vintage Gillette? Is there an equivalent to the Mr Razor site but for Schick injectors?

Attachments

• FA2A905F-D890-49F9-812C-96C6B689EB65.jpeg
    FA2A905F-D890-49F9-812C-96C6B689EB65.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
  • 7AC686E3-FFF3-4619-9011-9FF00422628A.jpeg
    7AC686E3-FFF3-4619-9011-9FF00422628A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
Schick J type, mid to late 50’s. I’d say that’s about a 1958. With a Chinese Schick it will shave very well. There are Schick razor-dating sites. I’m sure someone here will steer you to them.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Congrats @abershaver on your 1st injector. If you're a researcher and looking for more info on your razor, here are a few B&B threads I would check out:

Schick Type I and J Injectors for Dummies -- an excellent resource!

Society of Injector Shavers -- a great hangout for Injector Shavers

And if you're looking outside the forum, I would google: dating schick injector razors
the first entry or two will go to a safetyrazors site that has been around for years and has some dating information -- although I think the first link above which is a B&B thread is more up to date.

Let us know how it shaves for you and/or if you have any questions. I will say that shaving with a Schick injector almost feels like cheating...it's my go-to razor when I'm looking for a quick, comfortable and close shave.

Thank you gentlemen for the responses so far! I knew someone would point me in the right direction and help with the ID. Lots to research and take on board. Much obliged. Will report back once I have taken it for a spin with some trusty Proraso!

Just had my first shave with it - first ever Injector shave for me. 2 pass WTG and XTG using King of Shaves preshave oil, Personna Blue, Yaqi Sagrada Familia synth and a new Personna injector blade. Thoughts below:

Very smooth overall! You can ‘feel’ the blade is thicker and I like the sensation but it doesn’t feel bad in an aggressive way. No irritation whatsoever after the shave which surprised me.

It is intuitive to use which was my big hope - never been a massive fan of DE and constant angle adjustment. One little nick on jawline (a problem area historically for me) but no bleeding. It feels a little ‘head heavy’ due to the plastic handle but the glide was good and the handle is grippy.

Definitely a positive experience overall! Personna blades seem to be somewhat divisive so I may try Chinese Schicks in the future for comparisons. Will do a week of shaves with this set up first.

One question: do the modern (Parker and Supply) injectors shave similarly to the vintage Schicks? Or are there major differences?

My Shick is an adjustable model. I find the Parker to be a little milder, setting for setting, but I end up using the Parker at it's most aggressive setting. The thing with injector razors is that when the term "aggressive" is used, it doesn't imply what it does when referring to a DE razor. DE razors can be so aggressive, that they nick & cut and the only recourse is a lighter pressure when shaving. This warning is not relevant to injector razors and I believe it's because of the term you used above....intuitive. You don't have to attempt to dials in the correct angle and pressure. The angle is built in to the head and the pressure, within limits I suppose, is not relevant. Comfortable close shaves are the norm, not the exception.

Congratulations on acquiring the Schick injector J. Definitely pick up some Chinese Schick blades. I started with the Personna injector blades and thought they were good, but then I tried the Schick blades. What an improvement!

Congrats! Nice injector. I’ve had the Golden 500, another J type.

However, I prefer the shorter handled I2 Hydro-Magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update. Now had four shaves with this - same set-up each time. Personna blade feels pretty good overall, but today’s fourth shave seemed very slightly less comfortable. May have been just coincidence or some other issues with skin etc. Should make it to 7 shaves I think. With DE I averaged 4. In which case this Injector will be a pretty economical shave method for me. Still love the ‘feel’ of this Injector method of shaving overall.

One thing I didn’t fully appreciate. In the UK the Personna injector blades are MUCH cheaper than the Chinese Schicks! The Chinese Schicks are expensive and actually quite hard to find online in the UK. I will try them at some point though! Question to the more experience Injector users: do the Chinese Schick blades tend to last longer on average?

Update. Now had four shaves with this - same set-up each time. Personna blade feels pretty good overall, but today’s fourth shave seemed very slightly less comfortable. May have been just coincidence or some other issues with skin etc. Should make it to 7 shaves I think. With DE I averaged 4. In which case this Injector will be a pretty economical shave method for me. Still love the ‘feel’ of this Injector method of shaving overall.

One thing I didn’t fully appreciate. In the UK the Personna injector blades are MUCH cheaper than the Chinese Schicks! The Chinese Schicks are expensive and actually quite hard to find online in the UK. I will try them at some point though! Question to the more experience Injector users: do the Chinese Schick blades tend to last longer on average?
I usually get 15 comfortable shaves from 1 Chinese Schick blade.

That razor will take twin blades I believe. I haven't tried them in mine yet because I really like the adjustable I use.
I can tell you that because of using the twin blades from Japan, the razor has become my number one razor. I'm now selling all my other razors.

Top Bottom