What's new

help with hario paperless pour over

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hello, been using an aeropress for a while at home, happy with it, but also looking for something even less in parts to use at work, looked at pourovers and settled on the Hario Paperless. I've looked online for methods, and not a lot is out there. Plenty for the V-60 though. After gathering as much general info as I could I've come up with:

- soak grounds and let bloom for 30 seconds
- slowly pour and let trickle until done.

My questions is: does this look about right? Do you fill the cone and let it drain, then fill again? Or slow, continuous swirling pour? Also if I fill the coffee to the "1" mark, how much coffee does it produce? 250 ml?

Any help/insight would be appreciated, thank you!

I've seen many say slow pour still done as a continuous pour. I fill let drain then fill with my pour over. I think the slow pour is best but that seems to work if you've premeasured your hot water.

I use a large kettle so I generally pour/fill then wait to add more.

I use two rounded tablespoons of coffee per cup but many people have different amounts based on taste, coffee etc.

Pour over for me is the best vs kcups. It's my regular morning routine.

-Stephen

My method is the 30 second bloom followed by continuos, slow pouring in concentric circles. I use 18 grams of medium grind coffee for my 12 oz. morning mug.

linty1

My wallet cries.
My method is the 30 second bloom followed by continuos, slow pouring in concentric circles. I use 18 grams of medium grind coffee for my 12 oz. morning mug.

Yes, that sounds pretty inline with what I'm seeing... as for grind I was thinking between drip and espresso, like the same grind used in my aeropress. Medium = drip grind?

Since you are using a mesh filter I would grind at least as coarse as drip, maybe one click more coarse. But it also depends on how long you like for it to steep which has some affect on flavor, how much you are brewing at one time, and even how you pour.

There are various approaches to pouring. Some like pour quickly and pause, repeating that step 3 or 4 times as the water drains out to a certain level. Others like to do a single slow pour keeping the level of water higher and constant. I tend towards doing a single continuous pour but I don't get too precise about it, meaning I may take slight pauses mid-way or 2/3 into the brewing cycle especially when the draining starts to slow down towards the end. The important thing is to not let all the water drain out before adding more, as I think that upsets an otherwise more even extraction.

I have a couple of glass Hario v60 brewers and find them easier to use and produce a better cup when used at near their maximum capacity. Meaning it is a lot easier to use the 01 size to make a single cup than the 02. I sometimes use the 02 with my 1 liter thermos and the coffee will almost spill out the top as it blooms. This makes it easy to virtually lay water on top of the coffee bed instead of pouring it in.

I let my coffee bloom for 30-50 seconds, the fresher the coffee the longer the bloom wait. Then shoot for stopping the pour at around the 3-3:30 minute mark (including the bloom time) for a single cup, though you may like the taste of something a little longer or shorter. When making 1 liter with the 02 dripper my pour takes at least 4 minutes sometimes even 5 minutes if I was pouring too slowly or the coffee is really fresh. The reason the fresh beans take a little longer is that the larger bloom is hard to keep inside the dripper so the pour is a little slower to compensate. I usually try to target about 4:30 overall time when making a liter. But again you should experiment.

I don't weigh coffee before brewing, instead base it on number of scoops, sometimes heaping them up, sometimes not. This Coffee Brewing Ratio Chart is a good guide.

I didn't even know Hario made these.

How are you liking it?

[YouTube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jjJw3VBz-xA[/YouTube]

Top Bottom