What's new

Help with dougnut in knot

I have a vie long horse hair brush and after the first use it basically has a hole in the center where some of the hairs knotted up after rinsing the soap out of the brush. I have tried using a comb to fix it but it didn't help at all. Is there anything I can do to fix it or am I going to have to get a new knot.

I'll post pics in just a bit.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Treat it like a tangle in long hair on a human (I'm an old Cosmetologist) : make sure the knot is wet, use a comb starting at the ends and work your way up to the brush handle.

FarmerTan

FarmerTan with the master plan
Oh, you reminded me of a "rap" that a young man sang? rapped? about me once in an Ikea. I would "Rap" it for you, but it would have to be, um, edited? Lol! It is a great story!

Treat it like a tangle in long hair on a human (I'm an old Cosmetologist) : make sure the knot is wet, use a comb starting at the ends and work your way up to the brush handle.

I'll try that. Here is a pic. It's not as bad when drying. Once its wet it's really bad. Also is there a good way to rinse soap from horse hair brush. I mostly run water on it laying flat. At the end I always have to raise the bristles up to like 45 degree angle to get all the soap out. I dont have this problem with any other brush even my horse knot from shaveforge.
20191211_182352.jpg

FarmerTan

I used horse hair brushes for dusting necks. I washed them with shampoo, and used a quality creme rinse. Then combed it with the rinse in it, if necessary. And then rinsed so that the water ran down from the handle through to the ends.

@Suhrim21 I have a Vie long 12705 (Maybe it's the same as what you got?). It definitely tangles up after couple lather sessions with it. What I do is rinse it under water and get it a bit damp and brush it with a fork. Go through the knot gently and sooner or later, I get the bristles untangled and ready to go.

I’d grab a brush comb from a paint store for future maintenance. Carrot oil is used in one detangler I know of, so any light oil or conditioner might also be of help.

Are you aware of what contributes to this tangling and how to deter it?

@Suhrim21 I have a Vie long 12705 (Maybe it's the same as what you got?). It definitely tangles up after couple lather sessions with it. What I do is rinse it under water and get it a bit damp and brush it with a fork. Go through the knot gently and sooner or later, I get the bristles untangled and ready to go.
@Timeclo's fork idea works. I had an old brush with a big rat's nest in the middle of the knot. I'd already tried using my fingers and a tiny moustache comb, but couldn't get it untangled, so I put it away.

Then, Tim mentioned using a fork in another thread a month or two ago. So, I brought out the old brush and gave it a shot. Well, it worked great! I soaked the knot, then separated the tangle with the fork tines. I found that combing downward (below the tangle, towards the plug) helped to tease the hairs apart very easily.

I have a couple of horsehair brushes and they both tangle every time I use them. Kind of a disappointment - I de-knot they by running the knot over a hair brush and gradually it pulls the hair apart. I do not really use them anymore - I stick with badger and boar.

I dont

I dont know which one I have buts it's the kinda orange top clear with white swirls on the bottom.

I’d grab a brush comb from a paint store for future maintenance. Carrot oil is used in one detangler I know of, so any light oil or conditioner might also be of help.

Are you aware of what contributes to this tangling and how to deter it?

I dont know what causes it or how to deter it.

I have a couple of horsehair brushes and they both tangle every time I use them. Kind of a disappointment - I de-knot they by running the knot over a hair brush and gradually it pulls the hair apart. I do not really use them anymore - I stick with badger and boar.

The horse hair knot I got from shave forge has not had one hair tangle. And I love the horse knot from shaveforge. It was also less than 10 bucks for a 24mm knot.

@Timeclo's fork idea works. I had an old brush with a big rat's nest in the middle of the knot. I'd already tried using my fingers and a tiny moustache comb, but couldn't get it untangled, so I put it away.

Then, Tim mentioned using a fork in another thread a month or two ago. So, I brought out the old brush and gave it a shot. Well, it worked great! I soaked the knot, then separated the tangle with the fork tines. I found that combing downward (below the tangle, towards the plug) helped to tease the hairs apart very easily.

I will try the fork after adding some conditioner

Top Bottom