What's new

Help with "Croap"

Ok, so I've mostly used creams from a tube. I received a sample of Proraso white "croap", and am having a little trouble with it. I keep having to go back to the container to get more product as I don't get enough on my brush for 3 passes (and I have a full beard, so a pass still uses less product).

So far, my method has been to soak the brush while I shower, shake/squeeze out the water, "swirl" in croap until tips are covered, then face lather. Should my brush be drier/wetter than it is for creams? Am I simply not loading enough to begin with? Or do I need to put some water on the croap first to make it even softer (can't imagine this, but curious)? Thanks.

When in doubt....add MOAR! I have the White too, used it just this morning by coincidence.

I load it up heavy with a soaked badger brush (loose shakeout of water).
Then I bowl lather, adding in once (maybe twice) some drops of water off the fingers.

When its approaching sheen, I switch to face and lather some more in. Rarely do I have to add any more water at this point, unless it's for the second pass - I might drop in a couple more in the bowl.

Did you move your sample to a larger container/jar/mug? You need to with most samples (not Stirling).

That will allow you to really load your brush. Hope this helps..........

For face or bowl lathering with a croap (or anything else for that matter), I use Marco's method for consistently excellent results. Soak brush in warm water while showering, do NOT shake water out of the brush, swirl 60-100 times, whip it up in a bowl or swirl on your face. Make sure you give it time to thicken up. It's practically fool-proof, if a little messy.

Yeah, I have found that most of my soap problems have been the result of insufficient loading. Swirl your brush on the soap for a full minute, and see if that helps.

My approach with these is to take a small quantity - (I use a Demi-tasse spoon with croaps and creams). I take that amount of croap and put it into a bowl. I use an old TOBS tub.

I soak that little bit while I shower. And then swirl with a wet brush to build a brush load. It seems to work. Then I go on to überlather. But that's another story.

More product.
Water is very dependent on your brush. Each of my three brushes have different water retention, so at least to me, always easier to start with more product and less water and thin it out as you go to the bowl or face with more water.

Ok, so I've mostly used creams from a tube. I received a sample of Proraso white "croap", and am having a little trouble with it. I keep having to go back to the container to get more product as I don't get enough on my brush for 3 passes (and I have a full beard, so a pass still uses less product).

So far, my method has been to soak the brush while I shower, shake/squeeze out the water, "swirl" in croap until tips are covered, then face lather. Should my brush be drier/wetter than it is for creams? Am I simply not loading enough to begin with? Or do I need to put some water on the croap first to make it even softer (can't imagine this, but curious)? Thanks.

I am not one to really 'endorse' and debate 'methods', but for croaps i do use a loose version of the 'Marco Method'. A WET brush, dripping wet, and just hit that croap, lol ;) just swirl, and swirl. Load plenty. Yes, it'll get messy and overflow, but i find i get plenty, plenty of lather, its well hydrated, and just consistent time and time again! Try that and see how you go! Can't see you going wrong with that.

I don't seem to load nearly as much product, soap or croap, as most folks here, but it does sound like you ought to start loading by about 50% more swirls to start.

I give a soaked brush two good shakes, then usually dip the tips, just barely, once or twice while lathering

I don't spend a minute loading my brush, but I spend enough time with quick swirls that my brush is fully covered with soap.

I am not one to really 'endorse' and debate 'methods', but for croaps i do use a loose version of the 'Marco Method'. A WET brush, dripping wet, and just hit that croap, lol ;) just swirl, and swirl. Load plenty. Yes, it'll get messy and overflow, but i find i get plenty, plenty of lather, its well hydrated, and just consistent time and time again! Try that and see how you go! Can't see you going wrong with that.

Totally agree, I use a count of 30 on the load, and a count of 100-120 in my scuttle, with a wet brush soaked for a minute or so, and ALWAYS have enough lather for 4 passes. This medthod seems to work on any soap as well, but the Italian Soaps/Croaps LOVE water, messy is a understatement but this is wet shaving :)

Thanks all for the replies. I used this again on my last shave, and was able to get enough lather without going back to the croap. I had moved it into a large enough plastic bin to get my brush in there. This time I kept the brush much wetter (I still shook it out a little...couldn't stand the thought of the soaking brush dripping/splashing everywhere) and loaded product longer. I didn't get as nice a lather (I think too much water/more product needed), but it worked fine. I just may be a cream guy, but that's ok.

Top Bottom