What's new

Help with changing a brush knot.

Hello everyone, hope we're all keeping well!

I wondered if any of you can tell me the best way to remove a synthetic knot from a brush and how I can re-set a replacement knot into it. I have two Stirling brushes (see photo attached) which I bought because I love the handles, however I'm not a fan of the knots on offer so I've purchased my own from AP Shave Co.

This is my first time doing this so I need some advice... what is the best glue, silicone or epoxy to use and how to remove the old knot without doing damage. I saw the boiling water/ steam method on YouTube but I wonder if this might damage the handle? Thanks for the help guys, any information will be greatly appreciated. :cowboy:
IMG_3784.jpg

There is an entire subforum below this one that deals with brush making and restoration. It includes pinned threads on how to do it. Keep in mind that it is highly unlikely that you can save the old knot (not that you want to).

Basically you cut off the original knot as close to the handle as practical. Then you use a small drill bit and drill into the knot from above, making enough holes that you make swiss cheese out of the knot (really the glue disc that holds the knot together). Then you break it out with a pick or a screwdriver or any convenient means. Then you use a Dremel type die grinder with a drum sander attachment to clean up the wall of the hole. You will find much more thorough instructions in the subforum.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
That’s a great looking handle! Taking out and putting in a new knot is fairly simple, but does require some basic tools. As stated, lots of good info here on brush restoration and knot replacement. I also watched a few videos before I did mine, it helped. Curious as to what knot you want to put in?
Good luck!

Top Bottom