What's new

Help with buying first DE razor

Hi! I know there's thousands of posts on this, I've been reading through a lot of them and watching a ton of youtube vids, but still not sure what to get. I'm tired of cartridge razors and razor burns using my barbasol aerosol can and dorco cartridge razors. I have straight Asian hair, find that I can usually get away with shaving every other day (every day if I'm doing something that needs more presentability).
I'm looking at Italian Barber and maybe the .84 Gamechanger, or maybe a .72 Lupo or if I'm willing to splurge maybe the Overlander? I want something that's no fuss, efficient, smooth, not likely to cause a ton of razor burn or nicks for a first-timer. Also, the most I'm willing to spend is at the overlander level. I'm also willing to do vintage at the right price if they're good too. I also don't need the absolute closest shave in the world.
I also know that there's a ton of recommendations out there and different opinions, but just to get an idea.
What do you guys recommend and also what blade?

Welcome to B&B!

You’re going to get 1000 different opinions and it’s really all up to you. I suggest starting on the low price end for a razor that way you’re not out much if it’s not for you. As for blades…. Maybe order a sampler from one of the many suppliers sites.

Good like!

Get something inexpensive and of good quality that will last you decades with basic care. You definitely cannot go wrong with a Merkur 34C. They're easily available and very affordable. I have over 26 razors but I keep coming back to my 34C.
Get a blade sampler so that you will have a few types to try out and this will help you find one that works for you.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B. You don't have enough posts as of yet to see the but sell trade threads. I believe it's 50 posts and 45 days.

I would suggest a Gillette tech to start off with if you're OK with vintage. Sit on you're allowed funds for a few weeks (easier said than done, I know).

I want something that's no fuss, efficient, smooth, not likely to cause a ton of razor burn or nicks for a first-timer. Also, the most I'm willing to spend is at the overlander level.

If this is what you want, get a Henson mild or medium. It is exactly as you want and is the perfect razor for a first timer and one you will enjoy for a long time!

Every one of the razors suggested above, and all of the many that will be recommended below will do the job. Pick one you like the look of, buy blade samplers and focus your energies on developing good technique.

Everything else, the plethora of soaps, brushes, balms, fragrances and other hardware are the trappings of shaving as a hobby. You can go there, but you don't have to.

Welcome aboard! :badger:

Welcome Start is the key thing :)and realize you might go through a few razors but its a fun journey

I do think the GC 84 and 68 plate would be a good start the lupo has more blade feel so not a fan while others love it but to start the GC might be the best bet but for the small extra get both plates and gives you a good base to know where you want to go and compare
things sell quite well on the forum here so lots to sell trade or pick up after a few months :)

just learn what you like and realize you might change your mind a year later :) so even having a few around to compare is a great way to learn as many do here

the build of the GC is very nice and could be a liftetime razor I had a merkur and the build quality IMHO Is nowhere near the GC again YMMV and just start with what you like and thought and wanted

also realize blades can vary the shave quite a bit so get some sample packs and just make some notes :)

Or game changer? Very hard to decide. For soaps I'm probably going with the cheapest Italian barber ones and cheapest brush, they've got to be better than gel soap

I started with DE razors in 1993 when I was gifted one going off to college. I started collecting vintage razors soon after- before Ebay was well known and finding them at flea markets and antique stores. I know some folks here won't like my opinion, but those vintage razors sit more often than they get used now. I prefer modern and rotate between two. An SCS-A1 and a newly acquired Rockwell 6c. If I was looking to find my first razor, the Rockwell would get serious consideration. It comes with 3 plates that allow you to try 6 different blade gaps- from really mild to slightly more than mild. ;) It's fairly inexpensive, too, compared to other modern razors. I'm a fan so far.

I guess henson is the best bet for no fuss? What's the difference between the aggressive and the medium? Is it all feeling or does more exposure really cut more?
I have two henson saving the med for my kid the mild my wife took over
they are very comfy nice razors very very light some do not like that
they also have a very fixed shave angle
I do think they are worth trying at some point

but to start with the GC you can play and learn shallower or steeper angles some and they feel and shave more like other razors in that sense
for that alone my vote is still with the GC

Welcome to B&B. This outstanding community has many knowledgeable folks that can help with any questions or challenges that come up as you learn to traditional wet shave.

Let’s see: don’t want to risk irritation, just learning, and the shave doesn’t have to be too close…

I’m going to recommend picking up a Gillette Tech from the bay or similar place.

You can spend anywhere from $12-30 dollars and have an excellent razor to learn with. It is mild but effective when you learn the correct angle.

Use it for a few months, if you enjoy traditional wet shaving then you can spend a little more on another razor if you wish.

This is not the razor I started with, in fact I didn’t pick one up until I’d been using DEs for more than a decade but, having used one, I wish this was the razor I started with.

Good luck.

I don't like to make recommendations (and certainly have no idea what would be "best" for you), but will tell you what works for me, and my impressions of some razors that might work for you.

I have a totally average beard and prefer mild razors. My favorite vintage razor is the Gillette Tech, which can be found cheap on Ebay. I've seen NOS Techs listed for 35 bucks, if you prefer new.

I also own the Razorock 68P and 68OC. I use the 68P often, and it is a mild, well made, solid stainless steel razor for around $60 (?). My 68OC collects dust. The .84 model has a wider blade gap will be more agressive, which may or may not be a problem depending on how quickly you develope your technique.

If you have fine hair, shave every second day, and aren't looking for BBS shaves (though both are certainly capable), either the Tech or Razorock 68P may work well for you.

Last thing I will add:

If I knew then (when I started) what I know now, I could only own a Gillette Tech (or Feather ASD2), Stirling soap, a $10 Omega boar brush, a box of nearly any name-brand blades, and a bottle of Old Spice or Pinaud Clubman, and die happy.

I am also trying my best to not go crazy down this rabbit hole. I've done similar rabbit hole dives in the past with headphones, speakers, cameras and lenses, watches, even cars (cheap 2 seater roadsters). My wife really gets annoyed when I have multiple of something that does the same thing!

Hi! I know there's thousands of posts on this, I've been reading through a lot of them and watching a ton of youtube vids, but still not sure what to get. I'm tired of cartridge razors and razor burns using my barbasol aerosol can and dorco cartridge razors. I have straight Asian hair, find that I can usually get away with shaving every other day (every day if I'm doing something that needs more presentability).
I'm looking at Italian Barber and maybe the .84 Gamechanger, or maybe a .72 Lupo or if I'm willing to splurge maybe the Overlander? I want something that's no fuss, efficient, smooth, not likely to cause a ton of razor burn or nicks for a first-timer. Also, the most I'm willing to spend is at the overlander level. I'm also willing to do vintage at the right price if they're good too. I also don't need the absolute closest shave in the world.
I also know that there's a ton of recommendations out there and different opinions, but just to get an idea.
What do you guys recommend and also what blade?
Welcome to the forum!
I started wet shaving about a decade ago and quickly went back to electrics. I had no clue what I was doing so I scared myself away!
Then a little over a year ago I tried it out again and discovered Badger & Blade. That's where I learned!
Fast forward about a year and I've been through tons of razors & blades at all different price points.
It's become a passion!
I started with the Merkur 34C/23C but quickly discovered that it was too mild and I needed something more.
The Merkur's were the trainers for me!
My progression was lower cost razors and then I worked up to better quality. But if I were to do it over again, I'd start with an adjustable. Too many variables exist with razors (materials, head geometry, handle length, blade gap, blade exposure etc..)
I suggest you go into the Shave Wiki and learn what all these variables are so you can gain an understanding of how these things will affect your shave. Like that you will know what to look for in a razor!
For example: A very mild razor will be mild but might require more passes and that can lead to irritation. A more aggressive razor might require less passes which might give no irritation. (And of course all these things can also depend on skin type, hair type, etc.. as well)
Anyways, with an adjustable you'll be able to adjust to higher or lower settings which will allow you to dial in a setting that you like. That will let you narrow down what types of razors you'll like most and work best for you.
From there you can branch out into other razors if you'd like. That's my recommendation!
Good quality adjustables that aren't super expensive:
Modern:
#1 Pearl Flexi (Excellent quality because it's fully made of brass)
#2 Merkur Progress
#3 Parker Variant
Vintage:
Gillette Slim adjustable
Can't go wrong with any of them!

A Gillette Slim can be found here or on any auction website:

full

Good luck,
LRod

Top Bottom