What's new

Help with a Simpson Chubby synthetic

I have had this bush of just over a year and with creams it is a dream but with soaps I can't seem to get the right amount of water in it. I get to much and have a sloppy mess or not enough and can't get lather any help would be welcome.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I face lather and start with a damp, not dripping wet brush, which I think is best with synthetics as they do not release water in a controlled way like a natural brush. I swirl about 20 times on the dry or slightly damp puck and apply the pasty lather to my beard area. I have never bloomed or soaked a hard soap. I repeatedly dip the tips in water to add hydration and continue face lathering until the desired consistency is obtained. The Chubby 2 can be hard to splay so I start the splay on the point of my chin and go from there. My Chubby is an earlier 'Synthetic Badger', in the same Platinum fibre as the current model, but it is lofted at 54mm rather than the current 50mm which may make the splay easier.

rd.jpg

Not sure what to say since mine doesn't act much different than my other synthetics other than occasionally I have to add a bit of water after loading, but it's not much. I dunk mine in water to get all the bristles wet and then give it a light squeeze to get most of the water out. After that, I load it on the puck and it's usually pretty close to the right water to soap ratio.

For the record, I bowl lather.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have had this bush of just over a year and with creams it is a dream but with soaps I can't seem to get the right amount of water in it. I get to much and have a sloppy mess or not enough and can't get lather any help would be welcome.

I mostly bowl lather and use the 'Modified Marco Method':

For hard and medium soaps:

1. Soak your brush in medium hot water for a couple of minutes..

2. Turn your brush upside-down. I usually give a very slight flick of my wrist, but do not shake. Keep most of the water in the brush. You want a nice wet brush.

3. Hold your soap over the Captain's Choice bowl, slightly pointed down. Start making swirls on the surface of the soap. You have to proceed slowly, without pressure on the brush. Remember that it's very wet.

4. Heavily load your brush for about 45/60 seconds making around 100/120 swirls. Please keep in mind that the loading time and number of swirls also depend on how big your brush is and how much water it can retain. Try to aim the overflow so it goes into the bowl.

5. After the brush is loaded, get any excess lather from your puck into the bowl, set youe puck down, pick up your Captain's Choice bowl and begin building your lather in the bowl.

6. Add a few drops of water as needed to get the lather consistency dialed in.

7. Apply the lather to your face.

Note: If you are using soft creams, place an appropriate amount (usually ~1/4 teaspoon) in the center of the bowl. Soak your brush. Partial (small) flick of the wrist. Swirl your wet brush around in the bowl until your lather is the consistency of yogurt.

Full attribution: This is taken from the 'Marco Method' originally posted here:

My lathering technique with Italian soft soaps - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-lathering-technique-with-italian-soft-soaps.199887/

Modified it slightly to suit my preferences. :)

Hope this helps. :cool:

Top Bottom