What's new

Help with a little GEM Identification.

I've tried digging through the forums and looking. I found the chart, but not sure if I'm correct. Also because the case is interesting as well. It's the first time I've seen one inperson with a short handle.

I think I have a Gem 1912.
Inside the head is stamped:
GEM
Booklyn New York
Made in U.S.A.

thumbnail_20190817_154956.jpg thumbnail_20190817_155016.jpg thumbnail_20190817_154928.jpg

If anyone has any insight on the date or model information I'm missing, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks!
-Kevin_K

Looks like a Gem 1912 travel model. The head will be shorter from the handle to the top slightly, it also will have a slight curve in the cap compared to the normal flat Brooklyn gem 1912, sorta like a Damaskeene.I have one in a silver travel case I still need to try. Some reason these come in mint shape alot with the cases decently priced. Oh and they come with and without Gem on the back. Mines without.

There are multiple versions of the 1912 squat head and they vary in aggressiveness a lot. You'll know for sure which one you got real fast once you start shaving [emoji2]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've tried digging through the forums and looking. I found the chart, but not sure if I'm correct. Also because the case is interesting as well. It's the first time I've seen one inperson with a short handle.

I think I have a Gem 1912.
Inside the head is stamped:
GEM
Booklyn New York
Made in U.S.A.

View attachment 1008910 View attachment 1008911 View attachment 1008912

If anyone has any insight on the date or model information I'm missing, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks!
-Kevin_K
I think you will be happy with your Gem 1912 razor, I have a couple of GEM razor heads stamped 1912 and they are my favorite razors, At the moment I'm testing and enjoying a GEM Junior Parade 1912 mfg in 1938+ and that is a smooth razor with a GEM SS PTFE blade. GEM SS teflon coated blade are one of the sharpest blades made IMO and the first shave can be a little rough but after a few shaves it smooths out and their are no other shaves like it.
There is a bit of a learning curve if you have not used one and it takes a few shaves to dial it in.
A Safety Razor Compendium: The Book
Start looking around page 434> and you might find one similar.
Gem Razor Models extra information on GEM the 1912 model is also in there.
Here is some more information if you did not receive a user manual and some info on the Gem blade grind......
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg GEM blade grind angles.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I have a similar razor with a slightly different case. As others have said, it is a 1912 design. I use mine quite a bit and it is a very nice shaver. I have had more trouble with irritation with a brass 1912 than I ever had with that travel model. From the first day I have had nice shaves with little or no feedback from the alum block.. I project that it will be a welcome addition to your rotation.

Top Bottom