What's new

Help with a Cross Fountain Pen

Hey there,

So, my father in law gave me this Cross Fountain Pen that he received back when he was Ceo of a company. The pen was never used and is still in mint condition.
He said that this was supposed to be a collaboration with French Designer, Philippe Starck, being it a very exclusive edition.
But long story short, I’ve looked around the pen and manual, and there’s no reference anywhere about this supposed colab.
Was he played? Is it an actual collab?
Any Cross experts out there that could shed some light on this pen?!

thanks in advance 🙌🏻

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Pen manufacturers often work with leading designers. Lamy’s partnership with several prominent Bauhaus designers is perhaps the best known. Wahl-Eversharp’s Skyliner from the 40’s is another example. The designer may or may not be featured by name in the marketing literature. Even the most acclaimed industrial designers and graphic artists aren’t really household names.

Do you know what model the Cross pen is? Can you post a picture?

Pen manufacturers often work with leading designers. Lamy’s partnership with several prominent Bauhaus designers is perhaps the best known. Wahl-Eversharp’s Skyliner from the 40’s is another example. The designer may or may not be featured by name in the marketing literature. Even the most acclaimed industrial designers and graphic artists aren’t really household names.

Do you know what model the Cross pen is? Can you post a picture?

Hello,

oh I’m sorry I thought I had attached the pictures, my bad!
Not sure about the model, no!
Here are the pictures!

thanks

124DBC9C-2245-49BD-AB49-7D41D7A33A70.jpeg
D8ECDCB9-B10C-4C3F-AD3F-506A95A3EDAD.jpeg
4CAD4CBD-9733-4C8A-8A8C-4A1106FB4921.jpeg
66E3499C-D91F-4BDB-80FC-6B8D5F2E3782.jpeg
731E4F1F-626E-4712-965E-8EAC6AF13D4A.jpeg
2FFF198D-10FB-4EFB-AFD0-3EA22544B516.jpeg
D69138D5-C53D-4732-A11E-1ECF42768C3C.jpeg
AE457430-7B57-43B4-9269-13C78F72CDE7.jpeg
300F4540-7EB4-472E-B606-3A176A7DBD0B.jpeg
83BE1BC5-55A2-4A48-8264-5767318A8D82.jpeg

tankerjohn

Definitely ATX styling, but not anything that is currently available. The finish is not the standard Ti Sandblast, and the style of the nib is different than anything Cross currently makes. Knowing the year received would help in identifying as well.

I concur with the general thought of inking it up and driving on. If you wanted to be hard core, you could rinse thru some hot water and let it dry over night.

The ink I now recommend as a great first ink is Lamy. 50 ml under 20 shipped all day long. The black is good and black and the blue is very nice without being turquoise.

It flows well in every brand of pen I have tried it in (Lamy, Pelikan, Pilot, Parker, Easterbrook, Schaeffer and Waterman.) The container has a depression in the bottom of it so you can get every last ink drop out of the bottle. Finally, the ink bottle has an integrated blotter paper holder with blotter paper to more neatly fill your pen.

Well, looks like a Cross ATX to me - ATX Sandblasted Titanium Gray Fountain Pen - https://www.cross.com/cr_en_us/886-46mj

The nib is definitely different. Is it gold? But otherwise it looks like a nice, though not expensive or rare, gift pen. If you think it’s worth more, you could take it to a pen shop and see what they think. Or just ink it up and enjoy.

thanks for the reply! Definitely the same ATX model but with some tweaks. It’s not gold, no! Will probably ink it up and see how it works 🙌🏻

I concur with the general thought of inking it up and driving on. If you wanted to be hard core, you could rinse thru some hot water and let it dry over night.

The ink I now recommend as a great first ink is Lamy. 50 ml under 20 shipped all day long. The black is good and black and the blue is very nice without being turquoise.

It flows well in every brand of pen I have tried it in (Lamy, Pelikan, Pilot, Parker, Easterbrook, Schaeffer and Waterman.) The container has a depression in the bottom of it so you can get every last ink drop out of the bottle. Finally, the ink bottle has an integrated blotter paper holder with blotter paper to more neatly fill your pen.

what happens if put under hot water?!
I’m a total newbie when it comes to Fountain Pens, so I don’t quite know any details about the use of them.

Definitely ATX styling, but not anything that is currently available. The finish is not the standard Ti Sandblast, and the style of the nib is different than anything Cross currently makes. Knowing the year received would help in identifying as well.

from what my Father in law said, it was gifted to his company beetween 2002 and 2004. Don’t know if that helps much.

In order to clean a fountain pen, you must be very careful.

The best thing is to know how to disassemble the fountain pen.
In a container, add 250-300ml of warm (not hot) water (preferably de-ionized) 1- 1 1/2 spoon of baking ammonia (not baking soda) and stir well. Then put all the parts in the container. just leave it for 24 hours. Yoy can repeat that if necessary.
Rinse well with water. Then wash every part with plain water and dish soap. This will probably will make the job done.
In any case do NOT use spirit or alcohol or anything of this kind.

Also there are some solutions instead of ammonia, but they cost and has similar results.

tankerjohn

In order to clean a fountain pen, you must be very careful.

The best thing is to know how to disassemble the fountain pen.
In a container, add 250-300ml of warm (not hot) water (preferably de-ionized) 1- 1 1/2 spoon of baking ammonia (not baking soda) and stir well. Then put all the parts in the container. just leave it for 24 hours. Yoy can repeat that if necessary.
Rinse well with water. Then wash every part with plain water and dish soap. This will probably will make the job done.
In any case do NOT use spirit or alcohol or anything of this kind.

Also there are some solutions instead of ammonia, but they cost and has similar results.
That seems like overkill on a pen that has never been inked. I would probably just flush the nib with cold water from a bulb syringe and call it a day.

I am sorry, I thought it was clear that I was talking about a pen that has been used for sometime. I carry twelve pens every day and have more than 500 in my collection. I clean the pen I use in almost every 40-45 days.

and if you don’t have a ‘bulb syringe’ ready at hand any empty ketchup container or squeeze honey container will do. insert the section, holding it, in the hole where the liquid comes out of and press the container. it flushes the section very neatly. I use it for cleaning all my fp when I change the sac or change ink

strop

Now half as wise
and if you don’t have a ‘bulb syringe’ ready at hand any empty ketchup container or squeeze honey container will do. insert the section, holding it, in the hole where the liquid comes out of and press the container. it flushes the section very neatly. I use it for cleaning all my fp when I change the sac or change ink
Great idea! More water capacity than a bulb syringe!

Top Bottom