What's new

Help, What did I just buy?

So I've enjoyed my HD for about 4 years now, but have been perusing the net lately and 'accidentally' bid on these 12 Razors. I wasn't sure of what I found, but it was cheap enough so I thought I'd go for it and see what shows up. They are in the mail, but I can't wait to see what shows up. I don't have much experience with different razors and my limited knowledge does not allow me to identify these. Hoping you could help! :001_huh:

All I have is this one picture. I have put my best guesses below. Hoping some of you may recognize them. (Yes, I know I can contact the seller, but that sounds like cheating)

full

2. 1930s British Gillette Fat Handled Tech
4. Gillette Ball End Tech Open Comb???
5. Gillette 1920s ‘Old Type’ Gold Plated, open
6. GEM 1912 SE
9. Gillette Tech Fat Handle (smoother handle than #2?)
10. ? ? ? ? ?
11. Schick Injector (Type E or G?)
12. Schick Injector (Type E or G?)

Last edited by a moderator:
8 is, I believe, a rocket.
4 looks like a NEW head with one of those handles that make it look like a single ring. I think they were either canadian or british or both.
1 and 3 and 10 look like autostrops
7 slim adjustable.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
So I've enjoyed my HD for about 4 years now, but have been perusing the net lately and 'accidentally' bid on these 12 Razors. I wasn't sure of what I found, but it was cheap enough so I thought I'd go for it and see what shows up. They are in the mail, but I can't wait to see what shows up. I don't have much experience with different razors and my limited knowledge does not allow me to identify these. Hoping you could help! :001_huh:

All I have is this one picture. I have put my best guesses below. Hoping some of you may recognize them. (Yes, I know I can contact the seller, but that sounds like cheating)

full

1. Valet Auto Strop
3. Valet Auto Strop
4. Gillette New
6. GEM 1912 SE
7. Slim Adjustable
8. 40's style SuperSpeed.
10. Valet Auto Strop

Filled in a few missing blanks. How did I do?

Wow, that was quick and fairly complete!

Here is the updated list with your help.

1. Valet Auto Strop
3. Valet Auto Strop
4. Gillette NEW head (with a handle showing it is either Canadian or British or both)
6. GEM 1912 SE
7. Gillette Slim Adjustable,
8. 40's Superspeed or a Rocket.
10. Valet Auto Strop

Thanks, I feel like I have a much better idea of what is coming. :thumbup::thumbup:

oh, I meant I think the NEWs of that type came from Canada, or came from England, or came from both places, not that one razor would be from both canada and england.

P

Pjotr

Looks like you've now got every form of DE or SE shaving covered. You'll be busy and possibly a bit bloody for a while!

That NEW alone is probably worth the price of admission. That razor is especially good if you don't shave for a few days and need to get rid of the stubble in one or two passes.

Do you mean Feather SE from Razorbladesandmore.com. Or were you thinking of another blade? Thanks for the help, I had no idea these existed.

Yes, the feather SE - the website identifies these as fitting the autostrop and I have tried them and they fit in mine. Not just the side loading type but also the ones that you cannot modify a regular SE blade for. They are good blades. I researched this and it turns out Feather made a razor identical to the Autostrop for the domestic market, hence, the blade.

Number 4 looks like an Old Type. Does it have a barrel base screwed into the head through the handle?

Does it have positioning pegs?

Last edited:
Oh, ok, never mind.
I was seeing this screwiness right here,

proxy.php

and thought it was that little dip in a new bottom plate. It's something with the cap though.

So, they have arrived :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1: Between your help and a little closer inspection, I think that I have it pretty much figured out. Just my best attempt, so I am open to changes. (I am dropping an Astra blade into #4 first thing tomorrow morning to start off the test runs) :001_tt1:

1. Valet Auto Strop, Toronto Canada, 1914 – 1923
2. 1951 Gillette Tech Canadian Fat Handle
3. Valet Auto Strop, Toronto Canada, 1914
4. Open Comb Gillette Old Type, Canada. Can’t figure out the notches in the cap? It has a barrel handle and does have the diamond+arrow emblem. No visible markings inside the barrel. Head is male and screws into the barrel.
5. Open Comb Gold Plated Gillette Old Type, USA
6. 1912 Ever-Ready, British Made
7. Gillette Slim Adjustable, USA
8. Gillette, British Made (So it’s a Rocket)\
9. 1951 Gillette Tech Canadian Fat Handle
10. Valet Auto Strop, Canada, 1907 – 1914
11. Schick Injector Type G (With Bakelite handle – possibly a Canadian trait)
12. Schick Injector Type E

full

full

full

full

Thanks again for the help!

Cool. I was wondering if that Old would be from Canada. Haven't seen too many with that milling in the corners.
proxy.php

Cool. I was wondering if that Old would be from Canada. Haven't seen too many with that milling in the corners.

Nice to see another pic of one. I tried finding the same pics on the web, but could not find any. Was starting to worry that it was some garage job. :ohmy:

Top Bottom