What's new

Help w/ straight

The difficulty and pulling you experienced is normal for the first few weeks. I got some nice feedback and a marked improvement in the shave within the first 3-5 shaves. It wasn't much but it was just enough for me to realize I was making progress. Within the first 10 you will know it is in fact possible to use a straight. Within the first month or two you will know you aren't going back :biggrin:.

Stick with it some more, it will get better.

I am wondering how sharp the blade is? How does a shave ready razor compare to a Derby or a Feather blade or a Swede in terms of sharpness?

I am wondering how sharp the blade is? How does a shave ready razor compare to a Derby or a Feather blade or a Swede in terms of sharpness?

I'm sure some more guys will chime in about comparisons between DE and straight blades etc, and frankly I think it depends. A shave ready straight can fall under extremely sharp to sharp enough to split atoms.

If Lynn honed the blade, there is a good chance it is shave ready and you're just falling victim to the steep learning curve straights carry with them. When I got my first straight, it was plenty sharp enough but my technique just sucked. I would have sworn it was dull but I reminded myself that I got it from a good honemeister and it was just me that was dull. Every shave I had I wondered if it was me or the blade until I noticed some progress several shaves in.

Depending on how dexterous you normally are, I would say if you don't notice even the slightest improvement within the first 5-6 shaves then you might want to consider sending it to get touched up. Otherwise if you notice even the smallest improvement it is most certainly shave ready and it will just take time to get good with it.

I have heard plenty of testimony that the SR does not "feel" as sharp as a feather or a DE blade. However, the learning curve is ridiculously steep. You either get it or you don't at first, and if you don't; the shave can really stink. But once you get really good at it, the straight will shave better than anything else.

A DE is called a safety razor for a reason. You sacrifice something for safety. As to the feather, IMHO its a cheap knockoff of a straight. But I'm biased, take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Definitely don't give up. The learning curve is sometimes a bit steep. The barber who originally taught be how to shave with a straight always said that in his experience "a face needs to get used to the blade." In my experience, I've found this to be true -- your skills and speed improve, the angles feel natural, and your face ceases to fear the edge.

A couple of questions: you didn't mention whether or not you STROPPED the razor once it arrived from Lynn. Did you? Don't ever think of stropping as optional -- it's the essential first step before you shave each time. Any doubters can do a simple experiment to determine the accuracy of this. But, assuming you DID strop, in my opinion this is the #1 cause of bad straight experiences -- improper stropping. (Cause #2 would probably be not adequately and consistently stretching the skin on your face with a combination of jaw muscles and your free hand.)

Stropping correctly will +1 your razor.
Stropping incorrectly will -5 it, and will successfully undo Lynn's sharpening service.

In summary: keep at it!

- M.

This has ben a good thread for me to read. You see I've been shaving with a DE for the past 40 years --- always wanted to use a straight razor. Anyway I stated using a straight about four weeks ago, and frankly it's not what I expected. Damn tuff learning curve.

Couple of considerations. I can only use my left had to hold the razor as I am missing the thumb and middle finger on my right hand. And I'm not ambidextrous. Be that as it may I still get by well enough shaving with my left hand --- have not cut myself yet.

Problem is I don't get a close shave around the chin, cheek bone and neck. No matter how many passes I still end up with very fine stubble and a lot of pull - resistance on the razor. Sides of face and upper lip are easy for me.

One issue I have being 62 years old is that my skin is not a tight as you younger guys. Fact is, if I pull the skin on my neck as tight as I could I will end up shaving my belly.

Have tried adjusting the angle, light to medium pressure on the blade to no improvement. I do believe the razor is sharp or at least sharp enough. I beginning to have doubts about how well I strop. The strop is new and from Illinois Razor Stop Co. Chicago - #127.

I'm blessed with great patience and an analytical mind. I don't discourage easy. In some way it's good to read your posts talking about the long learning curve. The comradery and encouragement I find in reading these post is helpful.

Thanks Guys ...

Buck,
Glad to hear your not giving up. Don't worry too much about the chin, its a problem area for everyone. I occasionally have problems with it. Of course, a problem for me is not getting BBS within 2 passes. You'll get the hang of it. I shaved with one hand for a very long time; ambidextrity is not necessary.

Buck,
Glad to hear your not giving up. Don't worry too much about the chin, its a problem area for everyone. I occasionally have problems with it. Of course, a problem for me is not getting BBS within 2 passes. You'll get the hang of it. I shaved with one hand for a very long time; ambidextrity is not necessary.

Thanks, I appreciate your encouragement.

I just purchased this razor from a seller in England. I have a few razors on loan from my local Barbor but I need one of my own.

This is the description:

WADE & BUTCHER RAZOR WITH HORN HANDLE . THE BLADE IS 5/8" WEDGE. IT HAS NEVER BEEN USED.. IT HAS WADE & BUTCHER SHEFFIELD CORPORATE MARK ON THE BLADE .. GREAT CASE IN BLACK WITH GOLD WRITING SEE PIC ..THE EDGE PASSES THE TUMB NAIL TEST.

Last edited:
Great score!

The chin is still a problem for me on occasion. Glad to hear you're giving it more time. I think you will be happy you did.

One hand is all you should ever need to shave with. (That and a razor.) You should find some great articles and posts on B&B to help you make sure you're stropping correctly. The top 2 tell-tale signs you're not stropping correctly are:

1. Damage to the strop - any nicks or cuts indicate you're doing something wrong.
2. Damage to your face - or, more likely, a ****-poor shave in which it seems that the hair just isn't coming off.

Buck, the one thing I'd suggest is that there's a possibility that your razor was not professionally honed when it arrived. Stropping isn't the same as honing. Just because the seller says it passes the "TUMB [sic] NAIL TEST" doesn't in any way indicate that a honemeister has brought the edge to its ideal state. If this is the case, then all of your best efforts at stropping, stretching, lathering and shaving will be for nought. So that's one thing to consider -- sending it out for a pro sharpening (will run you $20 max with most who provide the service).

Cheers,
M.

mrgad,

I think your right on point with your observations. The razor in the photos is one I just purchased today. The two razors I'm shaving with have just come back from Ambrose. He did a fine job --- they came back sharp and shave ready.

Like you I believe the problem is due to the strop or how I am using the stop.
I did nick the stop a few times when I started shaving 4 or five weeks ago. I sanded out the nicks with 220 grit paper / and applied Neatsfoot oil. It's possible I have contaminated it using the 220 grit sand paper. I know it drags when I strop where before it had a smooth action.

One thing is for sure - it's like you said

"The top 2 tell-tale signs you're not stropping correctly are:

1. Damage to the strop - any nicks or cuts indicate you're doing something wrong.
2. Damage to your face - or, more likely, a ****-poor shave in which it seems that the hair just isn't coming off."

In the morning I'm going to call my home town Barber and ask him to let me use his razor to rule out problems with my technik. I may have to buy a new strop.

Regards: Buck47

Definitely don't give up. The learning curve is sometimes a bit steep. The barber who originally taught be how to shave with a straight always said that in his experience "a face needs to get used to the blade." In my experience, I've found this to be true -- your skills and speed improve, the angles feel natural, and your face ceases to fear the edge.

A couple of questions: you didn't mention whether or not you STROPPED the razor once it arrived from Lynn. Did you? Don't ever think of stropping as optional -- it's the essential first step before you shave each time. Any doubters can do a simple experiment to determine the accuracy of this. But, assuming you DID strop, in my opinion this is the #1 cause of bad straight experiences -- improper stropping. (Cause #2 would probably be not adequately and consistently stretching the skin on your face with a combination of jaw muscles and your free hand.)

Stropping correctly will +1 your razor.
Stropping incorrectly will -5 it, and will successfully undo Lynn's sharpening service.

In summary: keep at it!

- M.

No I didn't strop, there was a note that it was shave ready, after being tested and disinfected. And that it didn't need to be stropped.
I gave it another go, I am better at it, it is fun. No cuts from the blade, this is because the straight is not sharp as a Swede and I am careful.
I do have some strong wiskers, even with a swede it takes me about 15 passes to get BBS, also because of the different directions my hair grows. I am starting to enjoy it, but I don't think a straight will give me a closer shave than a Swede or a Feather DE blade.

Top Bottom