What's new

Help Trying to Replicate an Epiphany Moment...

eBay is your friend if you're looking for that nostalgic shave. I only mentioned Spoilers as they're somewhat easier to find. As far as a modern blade, pick up some Polsilvers.

Under $50 below ...
full

Not a Red Dot, for sure, but let's also be realistic!

Yeah, I know I'll never replace the Red Dot, and I have zero intentions on ever trying.

I'll probably end up buying something similar to your picture.

Thanks for the help! I've read up on the Polsilvers, and have some coming in a sampler pack.

Your razor might be overclocked. You might want to read this. /www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/overclocking-fatboys-or-slims.334891/

It might be over clocked. Check if the riser bar goes up and down between settings 1 and 9. There is an easy way to unclock it but I cannot find the thread.
However, a change in blade may be the fix you are looking for.

The riser bar does go up and down.

I made a mistake in the OP. My razor is a SUPER Adjustable, and not a SLIM Adjustable.

I'll check and see if it's overclocked. I greatly appreciate the help, Gents, thank you.

I would get a Fatboy. And I would use Polsilver SIs. That we be as close as you can possibly get to that aha moment from long ago.

Alternatively, I second the idea of the Merkur Progress or Futur (slightly more than $50). Blade would still be a Polsilver SI.

I would get a Fatboy. And I would use Polsilver SIs. That we be as close as you can possibly get to that aha moment from long ago.

Alternatively, I second the idea of the Merkur Progress or Futur (slightly more than $50). Blade would still be a Polsilver SI.

That's the direction I'm leaning, Kingfisher.

I'm going to be patient and troll..er.. peruse ebay for a while, getting a feel for the market and prices. I don't want a pristine razor that I wouldn't want to ruin by using, but at the same time I don't want a chipped up hunk of brass.

I'll just enjoy using my Gillette Old Style with my 100+ sample blades for a few months while I shop for a Fatboy.

I really appreciate all the great advice given in this thread, Gents. Again... thank you all very much! Great bunch of guys on this board.

It might be over clocked. Check if the riser bar goes up and down between settings 1 and 9. There is an easy way to unclock it but I cannot find the thread.
However, a change in blade may be the fix you are looking for.

I found the post for correcting an overclock/underclock. Basically, for adjusting a razor back to factory specs. Thought I'd drop it here in case anyone is wondering:

For what it's worth, my fatboys seem to be factory set at the second set of turns of the adjustment knob if that makes sense to you.

Here's what I mean: Try turning the knob down all the way, ie. to 1. Push in the red pin and turn it down past 1 to the next set of turns. When you are at 1 and the blade pretty much is touching the safety bar, and it won't go further down, that's one set of turns too far that way. Turn it to 9 and then past 9 back to 1. That's the factory setting on mine.

As far as one of your possible new options is concerned, I wrote about it here: Parker Variant: Long(ish)-term Review

One of the things that drew me to the Variant was my hit-and-miss experience with vintage razors, Gillettes in particular. Between a late-40s Aristocrat, an early-50s "Brit-ocrat", and a slightly-older version of your Super Adjustable, I'm essentially one-for-three: the 40s 'Crat has largely been a good shaver, the newer 'Crat was underwhelming, and the SA was literally uneven...it took a very close inspection a year back to see that, at some point in its existence, it took a long drop. Didn't render it useless, but certainly made the experience in using it sub-optimal.

So, now, with several new adjustable options on deck, I chose the Variant, and can't say I'm disappointed.

As far as one of your possible new options is concerned, I wrote about it here: Parker Variant: Long(ish)-term Review

One of the things that drew me to the Variant was my hit-and-miss experience with vintage razors, Gillettes in particular. Between a late-40s Aristocrat, an early-50s "Brit-ocrat", and a slightly-older version of your Super Adjustable, I'm essentially one-for-three: the 40s 'Crat has largely been a good shaver, the newer 'Crat was underwhelming, and the SA was literally uneven...it took a very close inspection a year back to see that, at some point in its existence, it took a long drop. Didn't render it useless, but certainly limited the possibility of any "epiphany" shaves. While I won't claim the Variant has ever totally nailed the epiphany bit, it's come tantalizingly close so damn many times that I no longer care. :001_smile

One of the things that drew me to the Variant was my hit-and-miss experience with vintage razors, Gillettes in particular. Between a late-40s Aristocrat, an early-50s "Brit-ocrat", and a slightly-older version of your Super Adjustable, I'm essentially one-for-three: the 40s 'Crat has largely been a good shaver, the newer 'Crat was underwhelming, and the SA was literally uneven...it took a very close inspection a year back to see that, at some point in its existence, it took a long drop. Didn't render it useless, but certainly limited the possibility of any "epiphany" shaves. While I won't claim the Variant has ever totally nailed the epiphany bit, it's come tantalizingly close so damn many times that I no longer care. :001_smile

I've been researching the Parker Variant, and had already read your very nicely done review thread. That thread is one of the primary reasons the Variant is the top current contender. Your thread is *very* well done, by the way. I actually have it in my "watched threads" list. I find myself referring to it quite often. You have a gift for well done reviews... I hope to see you do more of them!

The *only* reason I'm still on the fence about the Variant is that there have been a few reports (albeit not wide spread) that there are a few QC problems with it regarding blade orientation. Apparently, a few have gotten through QC that have an uneven blade hold, resulting in a more aggressive shave on one side of the blade than the other.

I had a Merkur Progress for a short time in 2008 that had this same problem. It was enough of a deal breaker that I returned the razor. This particular example was rather extreme, though; one side felt like it did nothing while the other tried it's best to rend flesh from bone.

The rather poorly done chrome plated zamac finish of that particular razor was enough to turn me off of Merkurs for good.

Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated. I do see a Parker Variant in my future.

THREAD UPDATE:

Yesterday, I went digging back through a box of shaving gear that I had retrieved from my Grandfather's house back in the 1980's . The very same box that produced several of the straight razors in my current rotation, as well as the 1927-1928 Old Style I mentioned in the OP. I just knew there were more goodies to be had. Indeed, there were.

At the bottom of the box, I found an in-box Gillette Tech. The box is in as nice of shape as it could be, considering it was from the 1930's. Inside, all the parts were accounted for. I soaked all of them in hot water and dishwashing liquid for a few hours. Brushing them off with a soft bristled toothbrush revealed a gleaming, near new condition New Tech. I was thrilled. Thanks again, Grandpa.

Also yesterday, my first (of three) blade samplers arrived.

I'm a guy that knows what he likes. : ) I jumped straight to the Feathers, installing one in all four of my DE's. I almost ran out of face trying to use four DE's for one shave.

The shave was glorious. From the '27-'28 Old Style, the Super Adjustable (which had, indeed, been overclocked somehow. Many thanks to those of you that suggested that as a possibility!), the Qshave Parthenon, to the 1930's Gillette Tech, it was alllllllllll good!! I mean, goooood. There was only a very small area under my neck that required a bit more aggression than what the Tech could give out to produce a completely BBS shave. I went over those areas with both the Parthenon and the Super Adjustable, and my face felt like the proverbial baby's back side.

Now, mind you, it wasn't *quite* the "Ah hah!" moment of the old Fatboy/Platinum Plus experience, but it was darn close.

I'm not going to mention what blade I had been using, as I don't want this thread to degrade to "Oh yeah, that blade sucks" with "what are you talking about? I LOVE that blade" replies. :) But to say that the Feather was just a next-level experience over that blade is an understatement.

Back when I very first started reading B & B in 2008, this place was rife with guys telling new guys to stay away from feathers, and to lean toward less sharp options for their first few shaves. Well, I followed that advice faithfully, and it kept me away from finding that epiphany moment for ten more years, as I stuck with straight razors and cartridges from then until now. I'd occasionally pull out a DE, put in one of those god-awful blades, and stumble through a shave as a reminder that it was a truly horrible experience. I'm very happy to see that that particular piece of advice isn't nearly as prevalent around here anymore, being replaced with "buy samplers and find one that works. Just be advised that the Feathers are sharp".

I've always been of the opinion that my face loves a very low (as least aggressive as possible) blade angle with a very, very sharp blade. The Feathers taught me once again what my face has been telling me for years.... that combination really is the magic juju for my face.

I can't wait to try out the other truly sharp blades in the samplers. In particular, the Nacets and the Polsilvers. I also found a DE blade sharpness chart which shows that the Bic Chrome Platinum is a very sharp blade, too. Guess I better order up a tuck of those, too. : )

Thanks again for all the help, Gents. It's wonderful to be as enthusiastic about DE shaving as I am about straights. What an enjoyable experience.

I know the feeling.

Dug through some of my dad's old stuff n found an old Gillette English Tech (GET)!

It's mild but so smooth I've been getting bbs shaves in under 2 passes.

Congrads!

That's a beautiful piece of history right there. Amazing how much of a difference there is between the English Tech and the American Tech. Mine is a very early example of a Tech (Grandpa must've bought it as soon as it came out), and it looks very different from your British version. But like it's British relative, mine is very mild. Even more mild than my '27-'28 Old Style. I'm hoping that I can get to the point where I can use it as the only razor needed to get to BBS, but even a bit of blade buffing wasn't enough to get a couple of recalcitrant areas under the chin/neck area done with the Tech. I had to resort to something with a bit more bite to it. Even so, the shave ended up delightful.

I really should take a few pictures of my Tech, including the box. The condition of the razor itself is mint, whereas the box is a bit worn.

There is also a piece of... something... in the box that I can't identify. It's a hollow metal tube with several holes in the sides, threaded on one end. It looks like it might've been some sort of dispenser. Maybe you screwed it on the end of a tube of shaving cream to dispense/froth it? Not sure. I'll post a pic and let you guys have at it. :) At first I thought it was a piece of the razor itself.

Last edited:
Apparently the GET is slightly more aggressive than the GUT and I find the handle too thin n light so I'll be putting a weber classic or bulldog handle. You can get one for $10 on the bay. It'll really make it more beefy.

Top Bottom