What's new

Help Transforming a memory

Turning an old favorite Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe into a brush handle.

I am a long time pipe smoker and some of my favorites are my Cob’s. I have used some for over 20 years. Some are older than I am, given to me by my Pop. Any who, one of my favorites was developing a burnout and the shank finally snapped. I couldn’t just through it away, (I know, I’m a big sap). I wanted to keep it around to remember the pleasure it gave me and the good times with a pipe and a ponder. So I’ve decided to try and make a Brush handle from the bowl. I realize this may be a bad idea or just plain stupid but I’m willing to give it a try at least.

So far I’ve filled the stummel hole, filled the chamber with waterproof silicone, gave it a few coats of Feiblings leather dye, then 3 Super glue coats with a bit of steel wool in between. I’m hoping to get a 24mm knot in it.

I have no idea if it will hold up to shaving, but it just may.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting idea. Be sure to seal the entire inside of the hole where the knot will go with CA too. You don't want moisture getting in there and rotting the cob from the inside. I would set the knot with silicon so that if the handle doesn't hold up you can remove the knot and use it in another handle. It looks like it should be a good shape for a handle though and why not try to save it. Somebody made a brush out of an old salt shaker a while ago and it looked interesting. And I've seen shot glass handle brushes so why not a pipe. Let us know how things work out.

Interesting idea. Be sure to seal the entire inside of the hole where the knot will go with CA too. You don't want moisture getting in there and rotting the cob from the inside. I would set the knot with silicon so that if the handle doesn't hold up you can remove the knot and use it in another handle. It looks like it should be a good shape for a handle though and why not try to save it. Somebody made a brush out of an old salt shaker a while ago and it looked interesting. And I've seen shot glass handle brushes so why not a pipe. Let us know how things work out.

Great pointers! I will use the CA to seal the inside as well. Makes sense to use the silicone to set the knot too, just in case. Thanks for the help.

I finished the cob’ brush up today. I went with a 24mm tuxedo synthetic knot. It kind of reminded me of smoke coming up out of my old pipe. ‘Keep on smoking my old friend!’ Lol.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom