What's new

Help/Suggestions for 2nd Razor Purchase

2B4EF6EC-A12A-4209-893C-C867BFFB3299.jpeg
1800D562-999A-4BA2-A071-0F2E85AE7147.jpeg
Since you like a milder shave I would suggest a Timeless Bronze. There are a few threads about it on this about it. The only negative I have read was that is was not aggressive enough for some. Cost is $120.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks to all for the input, I’ll be experimenting with my prep for sure. I’m also interested in the Timeless TRBR38 in Bronze with the .38 blade gap. The reviews seem to point to a mild yet efficient shave, plus it’s simply beautiful to look at. Any thoughts on that route?

Mild and efficient.

I have coarse, dense stubble. I use my Fatip Grande directly ATG for a 1 pass shave and maybe a single clean up for a BBS finish usually every 48 hours. Thats efficient.

Its also mild in its way that with a shallow angle and a sharp blade I feel and hear nothing. It has no gap.

Many people call the Fatip razor family "aggressive", but I dont see them as aggressive. Highly efficient yes.

For the $20 cost of a Piccolo, or the $35 cost of a Grande, you could do much worse. All Fatip OC razors use the same head.

I think you need to try a few more blades and maybe revisit some brands you've already tried. That said, I have slightly coarse hair and shave every other day. I have a Fatip Grande. It's a great modern companion to my Gillette NEW LC. Both are open combs with very low blade gaps. I like the rigid design of the Fatip where it grips a lot of the blade. The Fatip also has a little more blade exposure than average, making it aggressive.

Tech or Super Speed (40's style or Flare Tip) are my first recommendations.

Along the pricier route, that new Timeless is a beauty. It's tormenting me right now, and my willpower is down to tattered shreds. It ought to be just the ticket for somebody wanting a milder, but effective, razor.

Have you tried a more aggressive razor? I have poor skin and was getting lots of irritation with a mild razor and three pass shave, then I tried a more aggressive razor with a two pass shave (WTG & ATG) and the results were a night and day improvement. Just a thought.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
UPDATE:

Problem solved! Thanks to the advice of Kman and several others, I re-examined my prep and overall technique. Switched to warm water instead of hot with a simple face wash with good soap beforehand. Also tried bowl lathering with outstanding results. Technique-wise, I was indeed shaving over the same area multiple times during each pass. I took care to keep it to single, very light strokes, I also slowed down my tempo a bit. The result was a smooth, nearly irritation-free 3 pass shave. Only irritation felt when applying aftershave were the typical sensitive spots directly under the nose and between the chin and lower lip, plus one small cut on the neck. I’m still looking to add a 2nd razor to my collection, possibly a vintage after reading some of the posts above. Thanks to all for your help, could not be happier.

I’m still looking to add a 2nd razor to my collection, possibly a vintage after reading some of the posts above.
My favorite non-adjustable has been my Pre War Fat-handle Tech, but I recently got a Black Handle Super-Speed (O2), and it feels (to me) very similar to the Tech, in spite of being a TTO.
The Super-Speed is a bit lighter than my Tech (45 g vs. 48 g), and the handle is slightly shorter (74 mm vs. 77 mm). I generally don't care for heavy handles.

Glad to have helped. Given the success of your first changes I might recommend a couple more, though I'll include a warning, don't go making several changes at once. Understanding which changes are really improving your shave, as distinct from those that you think might be improving it, is vital at this stage. Having potentially multiple issues to address makes isolating them extremely important.

Soap: Mithcell's Wool Fat and/or Haslinger "Schafmilch Rasierseife" Sheep Milk & Lanolin. These two soaps have proved transformative in my routine. Each is capable of much greater slickness and protection than the 15 other products I've tried, including some of the most expensive shave cream I've encountered; Santa Maria Novella. MWF works better with soft water, while Haslinger seems to perform better for hard water and neither is expensive.

Blades: Rapira Platinum Lux and Perma-Sharp Super. The RPL has been a mainstay in my slightly more aggressive razors as it provides a very close shave with excellent comfort. The PSS is better suited to milder razors as it provides a balance more in favour of sharpness over comfort which works very well in milder razors when your skin needs a break, but you still need an office-friendly appearance.

Razor: Rockwell 6S. This is delving into very subjective territory now, but with it's slightly utilitarian appearance and perhaps even somewhat clunky dimensions, the Rockwell 6S is an awesome performer. Where it seems to really shine is it's ability to suppress the need for perfect technique. You can be a little wayward or rushed and still manage a decent comfortable shave. This could be viewed as a negative, but if the goal is a good shave and not perfect technique, you could make great strides with this razor and little effort.

Clearly this is all very subjective at this point. You can expect that none, some, or all of the these might work for you. In hindsight I'd start with the soaps first, then blades, then razors in order of importance.

Top Bottom