What's new

Help/Suggestions for 2nd Razor Purchase

Been wet shaving for about 5 months now, using the Merkur 34CHD, recently switched to Feather blades. I don’t arely if ever cut myself during a 3 pass shave plus buffing, and I don’t get razor burn, but I often end up with an irritated face even with careful face prep. Using very light pressure and what I believe is good technique. I’m interested if there is a suggestion for a milder shaving razor that is still efficient. I’m open to all types of razors (SE, slant, open or closed comb, adjustable). My facial hair is a bit on the coarse side. I’d like to keep it Around or under $100 if possible, but am willing to go higher if necessary for a great product. Thanks in advance for the input!

Get yourself a Slim or Fatboy adjustable. The Slim will be cheaper, but you can still find good Fatboys on the Bay for less than $100. As much as I love the Fatboy, I would say the Slim might just be the best razor in my entire collection.

Other than that, a Super Speed is a great razor. I am fond of the 40s style, though the Flair Tips are nice too (the Red tip is too aggressive for me, though).

Get yourself a Slim or Fatboy adjustable. The Slim will be cheaper, but you can still find good Fatboys on the Bay for less than $100. As much as I love the Fatboy, I would say the Slim might just be the best razor in my entire collection.

Other than that, a Super Speed is a great razor. I am fond of the 40s style, though the Flair Tips are nice too (the Red tip is too aggressive for me, though).

Thank you, I hadn’t considered a vintage razor.

I think a little more information might be helpful in making a recommendation. What blades have you tried, what soaps, what's your prep?

Ask a carpenter for a solution to drive a nail and you'll get one answer, a hammer. Ask a carpenter to give you a means to join two pieces of timber together and the scope of solutions is much wider. More information equates to better answers.

Gillette Tech post war (triangle slots) or Mühle R89 (see international vendors).
BTW, I started with the same razor and did not get good shaves from it. Years later revisited and found it to be a great razor. I guess finding its ideal angle is not that easy.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Get a slant. Or an old injector razor. Or both, as you can get them both for way less than a C note. And then you can blame me when your wife starts bellyachin' about all the "crap" creeping in on her territory in the bathroom! Your welcome, Dave

I think a little more information might be helpful in making a recommendation. What blades have you tried, what soaps, what's your prep?

Ask a carpenter for a solution to drive a nail and you'll get one answer, a hammer. Ask a carpenter to give you a means to join two pieces of timber together and the scope of solutions is much wider. More information equates to better answers.

I’ve used Derby, Shark, Astra, Gillette Silver Blue. Feathers are my favorite so far. First pass WTG feels great, no irritation. Mostly true for the 2nd pass XTG, but the 3rd leaves me irritated (this was true for all of the blades I mentioned). Rotating between PAA soaps and Pre de Provence #68. Just ordered some samples from Stirling. Typical face prep is washing with Nivea exfoliating face wash, then using a PAA pre-shave soap ATG, plus any extra lather off the puck from loading the brush. I face lather, applying a dry layer first with a paint brush motion, then dip the brush tips in hot water and start swirling/building a lather on the face. I repeat the dip/swirl until I get the desired consistency. Finishing with Thayers, either Nivea or Pre de Provence balm, then PAA aftershave cologne. Hope this helps, thank you for your input!

I like Russian blades, like Voshkod or Ladas.

You can buy a good example of every Gem SE razor sold since 1912 plus a few nice injectors and still have change left over from your hundred dollar bill - I'd recommend a 1912, an Ever Ready 1914 Little Lather Catcher, or a Micromatic Clog Pruf to start, but be forewarned, SE shaving is a huge rabbit hole to jump into....

Couple more quick questions to help round out my understanding. Hot water, tepid or cold? No shower first? Have you tried a good old bar of hand soap to wash your face?

Looking at the ingredients of the two prep soaps it occurs to me that the list is quite extensive. If the only reaction you get is irritation it may be caused by fragrance compounds or any number of the ingredients in the soaps. It would be simple to eliminate this possibility by using a very basic, cheap, unscented hand soap bar for a couple of days instead.

Aside from being a little unusual the lather technique seems solid. Stirling soap might be a good step, as will Mitchell's Wool Fat I suspect.

If you're suffering the same issues with multiple blades I suggest sticking with the one you like best for now.

Regarding your shave technique, did you come from a multi-blade cartridge? I ask because it took me quite a while to get out of the habit of passing over each bit of my face several times during a 'pass' between applications of lather. It's plausible that I was doing three passes worth of coverage during the WTG stage in the beginning. Is it possible you're doing the same? I've also recently learned that skipping the WTG pass can be beneficial in reducing the incidents of irritation as this is usually the least effective pass depending on your beard type. Passes don't really need to be in a specific direction either, I find ~45 degrees away from ATG can be equally effective with less tugging and irritation.

Post shave also seems ok, though I've personally had trouble with one Nivea product in the past. I replaced it with QV Lotion which eliminated the problem.

You've probably noticed by now that my focus isn't on the razor. :) Having started with a DE only 9-10 months ago I've learned that about 90% of the problems I've suffered were solved through changes to software and technique, not hardware. Not to say the hardware is irrelevant, but my first real DE razor gives me an infinitely better shave now than when I first used it because of the other changes. I suppose I now believe it's less relevant than I first thought.

In summary, more isn't necessarily better and more complicates the diagnosis because there are a greater number of variables. Applying a little bit of patience and simplifying the process will result in a faster resolution.

I think you may be correct in that I may be shaving over an area multiple times in one pass. I have some sample bar soap from WSP, will also try prepping with that. Using moderately hot, not scalding water. Sometimes shower first sometimes not, that doesn’t seem to make a difference for me. Thank you for the insight, very helpful.

I think you may be correct in that I may be shaving over an area multiple times in one pass. I have some sample bar soap from WSP, will also try prepping with that. Using moderately hot, not scalding water. Sometimes shower first sometimes not, that doesn’t seem to make a difference for me. Thank you for the insight, very helpful.

When you shower do you use shampoo/conditioner on your beard and let it sit, rinsing it off last?

Try using a glycerin based soap like Pears ?

That would be my suggerstin over a different razor or blade

proxy.php
ooo

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Spend the $20 on a Fatip Piccolo and your RAD may come to a quick end.

Also consider a Gillette Tech. While there is nothing wrong with the Merkur which I also have, my preference is for one of my postwar techs (oval slots) or 1950s flare tip super speed, or Fatboy or Slim. Vintage Gillette razors are my first choice today.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
While there is nothing wrong with the Merkur which I also have, my preference is for one of my postwar techs (oval slots) or 1950s flare tip super speed, or Fatboy or Slim. Vintage Gillette razors are my first choice today.

All of your vintage razors are considered rigid designs. Interesting that you have a preference for them over your Merkur.

All of your vintage razors are considered rigid designs. Interesting that you have a preference for them over your Merkur.

I cannot find fault with either the Merkur 34c or 38c, but the Gillette razors just perform a little better. Also there is something special about using my c1 birth year tech and my c4 birth quarter super speed. All are great with my gsb blades, Astra sp blades are also good and same for the Israeli personnas particularly in the ss, Fatboy and Slim.

Thanks to all for the input, I’ll be experimenting with my prep for sure. I’m also interested in the Timeless TRBR38 in Bronze with the .38 blade gap. The reviews seem to point to a mild yet efficient shave, plus it’s simply beautiful to look at. Any thoughts on that route?

I think you may be correct in that I may be shaving over an area multiple times in one pass.
I'm glad I asked. As an exercise you might try very deliberately doing a single long swipe on each pass with just enough overlap to account for the extra razor width over the ends of the blade. This isn't strictly the recommended method, especially for a newcomer (which seems to be anything less than five years experience around these parts) but it will highlight if the number of strokes/swipes/passes is a problem.
Using moderately hot, not scalding water.
This is another possible source of irritation, or at least it has been for me. Hot water is no doubt helpful in softening the whiskers, but the effect on your skin is far more important. Personally I'd me more than happy to trade my skin fragility for a tuggy/painful shaving experience if it meant no lasting irritation. After eliminating hot showers and hot shave water in favour of warm showers and tepid shave water, many of my irritation issues resolved at once. While my particular situation is complex and may bear no resemblance to yours, it can't hurt to try, especially if there's no cost involved and no real down side. There are plenty of advocates for cold water shaving, can't hurt to try that either.

My final word is this, which ever tool eventually helps resolve the problem, be it a new razor or a good luck charm in the bathroom, you're not going to find it unless you search for it systematically. There are no short cuts. One thing at a time. My experience has been that the cheaper, software/technique based changes have had the most dramatic effect, while the choice of razor and blade can be somewhat/largely adjusted for with greater experience. RAD is real, I have it like many! Though, in hindsight, one quality razor is more than enough.

I’m also interested in the Timeless TRBR38 in Bronze with the .38 blade gap. The reviews seem to point to a mild yet efficient shave, plus it’s simply beautiful to look at. Any thoughts on that route?
Mine should arrive very shortly... I'm happy to report back, if you'd like?

Top Bottom