What's new

Help storing razor around kids

Get guys,

I joined several years ago when I bought my first DE and restored a Fatboy. I have been lurking ever since, drawn to the straight edge razors.

Well, I just found a lightly used Boker Edelweiss that I was able to get with the credits I had on an old gift card and decided to take the plunge...
and my 2 year old daughter just learned to climb up tables and counters. Does anyone have any brilliant child safe storage solutions? I was thinking about trying to convert a portable locking humidor into a razor case. Any thoughts?

I keep mine in the top drawer of a dresser in their cases inside a zipped up pouch. My boys can’t get up there, also my boys don’t know where I keep my razors so they can’t try to get into them on purpose.

Somewhere high without easy access is the best, but if they are a climber like you said a lock box or even a pelican case is best.

I should add my boys are 4.5 and 2.5.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Dang. When my only kid was born I shower shaved with disposable razors. I'm no help. I was so nervous then I'd probably grow a beard, lol.

When my son was a toddler we had a gate in the stairway making the first floor of limits for children. I then stored my razors in cabinets down there. My son is now eleven and my razor room is on the second floor open to anyone, including my son. He sometimes goes in there to admire the razors (especially Dorko and Thiers Issard) in the display cases. Our guests knows that very many of the razors are valuable and that all of them are fragile and extremely sharp. I always trust people to take good care of their children and to take responsibility for their actions.

My granddaughter lives with us. She is 7 now but came to us at 4. At 4 she seen me come out of mt room after working on a blade with blood running down my arm. I had cut a finger deeply. Had to go get stitches. Now days if she goes in my room she looks at razors but never touches them. I just hope this continues.

So you could slice open a finger and squirt blood around. Make sure children see it. That might work. :)

Life is full of dangerous items: firearms, kitchen knives, razor blades, matches, cleaning chemicals, power tools, etc. When children are very young, it is best to use child proof locks on ALL drawers and cabinets. When they have learned to defeat these locks, then you need to teach them about safe use of hazardous items, but some items like firearms, knives, matches and razors peak curiosity and need to be kept behind lock and key until they are old enough to fully understand the potential consequences. For razors, even something like a cash lockbox would help.

However, some people never learn, even as adults. I had some tree trimmers working in my yard a couple of weeks ago. They were feeding branches into a chipper without using any form of eye protection. Fortunately, they were not injured, but might have been had the chipper ejected any chips.

When not in use I stick mine in a safe, and only I have the key.

The problem for me is when I leave them on the window sill to air for 15-20mins. As the little tikes can climb up, and may be tempted to touch... Obviously I'm still in the room and keeping an eye on the situation - no-one touches my razors. If I have to leave the bathroom, I carefully take them to my bedroom, and let them air on the top shelf of the built-in wardrobe (no-one but me can reach that high, and it isn't climbable). Once dry, back in the safe.

My straights go on the top shelf in my closet. Not ideal, but it works.
My granddaughter lives with us. She is 7 now but came to us at 4. At 4 she seen me come out of mt room after working on a blade with blood running down my arm. I had cut a finger deeply. Had to go get stitches. Now days if she goes in my room she looks at razors but never touches them. I just hope this continues.

So you could slice open a finger and squirt blood around. Make sure children see it. That might work. :)
Haha, that might do it.

When I started straight shaving there were kids around most of the time since my sisters are much older and got married and started having kids young.

Even as a 12 year old I faced this and my solution was to keep my blade high and out of reach. I still do this today and it has worked for me. I keep my blade on the shelf in my closet in my bedroom.

By the time any child is old enough to reach it they're old enough to know better.

Chris

I keep mine hanging from a rack on the inside of my closet door, one of those deals made for shoes. I have a 2 oz desiccant pouch in there to help it dry out so I don’t have to leave it out after I shave.
I feel like the biggest threat at my house would be for me to accidentally leave it on a counter to dry. I have a 2 year old, 4 year old, and 7 year old.

I am still looking, but I am leaning towards a hard case that can lock, has padding, and desiccants. I like the idea of a humidor and replacing the sponge with desiccants

mine all live in a locked ikea cabinet in the living room, but im cool that way.

if i were you maybe a petty cash tin would suit?

proxy.php

At times when I was concerned, I stored them hidden in an old computer bag at the top of my closet. Sadly, it’s not just toddlers who may accidentally hurt themselves so please be aware of older kids who are struggling and considering self-harm.

At times when I was concerned, I stored them hidden in an old computer bag at the top of my closet. Sadly, it’s not just toddlers who may accidentally hurt themselves so please be aware of older kids who are struggling and considering self-harm.

A very good point!!!

A very good point!!!

Yes, very good point in this day and age. When I started shaving with a straight nothing like that existed. Thankfully, in my house at this time, it doesn't exist either.

If one has such issues to deal with though I think it appropriate to lock any straights up in a biometric vault or equivalent.

Chris

Top Bottom