What's new

HELP!!! - SRAD

I started into SR's about 9 months ago. Today I assessed my SR collection and those on order. Total is 37, that's about 1 new SR every 9 days!

Within the next couple of months (if I order no more), I will have 4 M7DS's plus a small assortment of other SR's. My shave cave is space challenged. SR's are now taking up some of my office space.

I'm single, never married and no children - that I know of. I can easily afford these SR's but there needs to be an end to this SRAD madness.

What can I do?
Get married...

Selecting a razor out of a large collection for me is frustrating. Collected and owned more that 100 straight razors. I keep what I like which is currently about 25 razors and sell the rest to fund more purchases later on. Typically I decline many razors (10:1) until I find something rare or sellable. This approach eventually resulted in break even wrt total money spent on all of this hobby (straights, stones, brushes, soaps, strops etc) and lately even make some additional profit.

For me I would go bonkers if I owned a collection like @Mango as an example. It’s a beautiful and remarkable collection but I would not know which to use. If you use one razor each day for the rest of your life you might shave each razor only a couple of times in your lifetime which is kind of sad.

So for @rbscebu the only advise I have is do what you like, collect as many razors or sets as you want BUT please don’t get married. I want to at least know one truly happy and free man....

For me, the end was when I got my first Fili. Compared to other razors, its just a different experience. I now have two Sub Cero 14's and I would be happy to shave with them for the rest of my life.

Wouldn't miss the others..........well maybe the Herders, and the Rigarazor, and the TI's, and.........

The point is that I buy a lot less, but it will be difficult to part with most of the others.

what can you do? go custom of course! go eggerling damascus custom of course. you know it has gone too far when I know all of the blacksmiths personally. stop half stepping and get to it. :)

Since you're asking the question, you're probably already pretty close to the answer. Many of us have been where you are and can empathize. I'm not going to suggest "use what you have and enjoy it" that I see so often. No offense to anyone who may have suggested that. I've read several of your posts here and in other forums and know you already enjoy what you have. And I don't ask the "need vs want" question either; All I need is a good razor, a decent brush, and a puck of soap. Just about everything else is in the want category.

There are three things I did when I wanted to cut back (not end) my shave-related spending...

1) I took a picture of my current collection of razors, blades, soaps, and brushes. I used that as the background image on both my computer and phone. That way I was constantly reminded of the shave gear I had already accumulated.

2) Before making a purchase I pull out my favorite kit and have a relaxing shave. If after the shave I still want to make the purchase, I ask myself if the new item is guaranteed to improve on the shave I just had. This only works if I'm at home at the time; if I'm out and about I have to rely on sheer willpower.

3) Most of all be remember choosing a purchase or restraint shouldn't make one feel guilty. The money was earned to be enjoyed; treat yourself occasionally and live without regret. You can't take it with you so enjoy it while you're here.

Now these suggestions didn't stop me from additional purchases, but they certainly helped to slow me down and I'm in a better place. Good luck...

I just packed my straight razors in a pelican case for my move to FL. The empty case with only straights inside weighs 30lbs. You know you have real RAD when you start counting them by the pound. LOL To answer the OP's question. There is no cure, just make the best of it.

I started into SR's about 9 months ago. Today I assessed my SR collection and those on order. Total is 37, that's about 1 new SR every 9 days!

Within the next couple of months (if I order no more), I will have 4 M7DS's plus a small assortment of other SR's. My shave cave is space challenged. SR's are now taking up some of my office space.

I'm single, never married and no children - that I know of. I can easily afford these SR's but there needs to be an end to this SRAD madness.

What can I do?
Enjoy the ride and start restoring vintage blades!

I was wondering does there ever come a time when ones collection gets so big that they're no longer are able to keep up with the maintenance required to keep them in tip top condition?
I have noticed on ebay some look to have mild issues which leads me to believe someone's collection got out of hand and they decided to down size. Then you have the really rough ones that antique dealers list and the estate sale listings

Medicine for being able to control that impulse of buying razors?
Stones, in particular natural stones, a good medicine/excuse to keep your razors company.
You will just keep wondering if there is something better and keep buying them, but hey! It's atleast not razors!

I had that problem a few years ago. I got up to around 150 straights. I changed tack and decided to focus on quality, not quantity. I've managed to reduce the collection down to around 40 but I've managed to pick up some really nice pieces.

Legion

Staff member
I had that problem a few years ago. I got up to around 150 straights. I changed tack and decided to focus on quality, not quantity. I've managed to reduce the collection down to around 40 but I've managed to pick up some really nice pieces.

John! If you are down to 40 you must have gotten rid of some nice stuff.

Top Bottom