What's new

HELP!!! - SRAD

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I started into SR's about 9 months ago. Today I assessed my SR collection and those on order. Total is 37, that's about 1 new SR every 9 days!

Within the next couple of months (if I order no more), I will have 4 M7DS's plus a small assortment of other SR's. My shave cave is space challenged. SR's are now taking up some of my office space.

I'm single, never married and no children - that I know of. I can easily afford these SR's but there needs to be an end to this SRAD madness.

What can I do?

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Do you need my address?
Thank you for your most kind offer. Unfortunately that will only help solve the space problem.

There must be someone here that has been in a similar predicament and solved a problem like mine.

HELP!!!

I can understand an appeal of some of these tools in an aesthetic way, a some are truly work of art, but then WFII you've been collecting the very same Titans and GDs, which are both cheap Chinese merchandise... no offense intended with "cheap Chinese", just stating the facts.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would perhaps understand if you were buying expensive artisans. Piling up Titans and GDs is beyond me... but then again, I'm at the other extreme, being a "1 razor / 1 brush" guy 😂 😂

then WFII you've been collecting the very same Titans and GDs,

i think I understand his collection. Those Titans and GDs are different enough to him in terms of steel, finish and appearance to warrant interest and relatively inexpensive, accessible and enjoyable.

Where we each put our attention is unique and I’m suprised often by some of the choices/comments of people here and IRL. No biggie, right?

I’ve found it useful to put a cap on my collections sizes. Shaving items included. I can buy what I like but when the cap is reached something else has to go to make room. This lets me pursue my interests without becoming a hoarder. I can easily convince myself to spend more money but picking which items to let go is harder. I like the idea of having a small well curated selection where every piece offers something different. Having lots of items laying around that I don’t ever get used upsets my OCD. I like to try a lot and settle on the best. Maybe limit yourself to 52 x 7 day sets. That seems like a nice round number for a manageable rotation.

Last edited:
I started into SR's about 9 months ago. Today I assessed my SR collection and those on order. Total is 37, that's about 1 new SR every 9 days!

Within the next couple of months (if I order no more), I will have 4 M7DS's plus a small assortment of other SR's. My shave cave is space challenged. SR's are now taking up some of my office space.

I'm single, never married and no children - that I know of. I can easily afford these SR's but there needs to be an end to this SRAD madness.

What can I do?

start being more selective and only go on the hunt for harder to find and in most cases.....more expensive razors.

this has helped me. build a collection of variety!

camo

You could always take your least favorite straight razor and cut the cord on your computer mouse so you no longer able to click on the BUY button on shaving vendor sites. Of course, that won't work if you have a local supplier.

I found that the best way to end a specific acquisition disorder is to acquire another one. For example, if you have enough straight razors, start collecting hones, strops, soaps, etc. so your focus will be on those new items rather than on straight razors.

Of course, if you get married, your partner may well put an end to all of your acquisition disorders. LOL!

It'll subside. It won't take more than ten years or so. By then you most likely will have tried everything there is to try and like Alexander the Great you'll stand on the beach crying over the fact that there's nothing more to conquer.

I rarely buy shaving gear these days. Then again I have a room dedicated to my straight razor collection.

You could always take your least favorite straight razor and cut the cord on your computer mouse so you no longer able to click on the BUY button on shaving vendor sites. Of course, that won't work if you have a local supplier.

I found that the best way to end a specific acquisition disorder is to acquire another one. For example, if you have enough straight razors, start collecting hones, strops, soaps, etc. so your focus will be on those new items rather than on straight razors.

Of course, if you get married, your partner may well put an end to all of your acquisition disorders. LOL!

Been there done that, and have a room filled with the result. Then again I'm a widower.

Been there done that, and have a room filled with the result. Then again I'm a widower.

The reason I suggested the "acquire another AD" is that what I have done. I have about 25 straight razors, 25 hones, 20 DE razors, 20 brushes, 6 leather and fabric strops, nearly 200 soaps, etc.

I am now going back to my tropical fish hobby, something I started 60 years ago and have fostered to one extent or another for all those years, even when I was in college. I told my wife that when my last fish dies, I will probably die along with it. This renewed interest in aquariums is minimizing my desire for new shaving gear, but has not stifled it completely.

Oh, dear!!! I see a pattern here and it's the same one I followed, started buying all the razors I could then restoring them now at 327. Now looking for NOS ones of the favourite in my collection, then went onto brushes they stand at 176 then soaps then aftershaves. Now looking at hones and strops, but I must admit shipping has slowed me down the cost from the states into the UK is a killer.

So the problem is no problem we have each and everyone to help us in our quest, with all the beautiful items and products we all see daily. But the good news is your not alone, your not the first nor will you be the last more will follow us...

Oh, dear!!! I see a pattern here and it's the same one I followed, started buying all the razors I could then restoring them now at 327. Now looking for NOS ones of the favourite in my collection, then went onto brushes they stand at 176 then soaps then aftershaves. Now looking at hones and strops, but I must admit shipping has slowed me down the cost from the states into the UK is a killer.

So the problem is no problem we have each and everyone to help us in our quest, with all the beautiful items and products we all see daily. But the good news is your not alone, your not the first nor will you be the last more will follow us...

Yep! I put it this way. Rabbit holes are deep and once you reach the bottom of one of them, you find they are interconnected with several other deep rabbit holes. You have to explore them all.

Yep! I put it this way. Rabbit holes are deep and once you reach the bottom of one of them, you find they are interconnected with several other deep rabbit holes. You have to explore them all.

Oh yes, this is very true, the one I'm in now has free beers and none stop partying women are here as well.

You are obsessing!! Besides B&B, delete every shortcut to razor vendors you have, and clear your cookies.

Focus on learning to shave with them. Focus on honing too. Bread knife a few, hone em up. Stropping is a freaking art.

If after a couple ten months you’ve been good about it, treat yourself to a quick flight to Japan and go rock hunting!

Top Bottom