What's new

Help shaving under the nose

My difficult shaving spot seems to be under my nose.

The thickness of the DE prevents me from getting in tight and when I try angling the handle down, I end up cutting myself.

I already have a ski-jump shaped nose and I'm probably being ridiculous, but I would prefer not to pull up on the nose to shave every day for fear that over time it will curve even more.

Any advice, tricks, suggestions?

Bartelby said:
My difficult shaving spot seems to be under my nose.

The thickness of the DE prevents me from getting in tight and when I try angling the handle down, I end up cutting myself.

I already have a ski-jump shaped nose and I'm probably being ridiculous, but I would prefer not to pull up on the nose to shave every day for fear that over time it will curve even more.

Any advice, tricks, suggestions?

It would perhaps clarify a bit if you would tell the group what kind of DE razor your using because they differ from head to head.

Bartleby:

Again, which razor are you using? With my HD Classic, I try and do two passes under my nose: one stubble-reduction pass up to down, with the grain in my case, in which I know I'll miss a lot of the uppermost hair because of the thickness of the head, and one from outside to in, across the grain toward the vertical centerline of my lip, which allows me to do a much better job of getting right up underneath the nostrils and clearing the lip of stubble to BBS standard.

Hope this helps!

-Rich

i find the skin in my mustache area is tough enough to handle a partial cross grain first pass. meaning im shaving at about 45 degree angles under my nose, doing this i have no problem avoiding it, my second pass is a full cross grain and that's cake under that area. a side note to this is that i never let my facial hair grow much so it's easier to do a partial cross grain pass off the bat.

I have a mustache so I can't offer advice from experience, nevertheless, I would use a bic single blade for this sensitive area.

Try to follow Rich's advice. I too make one N-S pass trying to get what I can and then I turn around and do 2 S-N passes to get everything that was left behind. Hope this helps. If not, post again and we'll figure a way for you to get a nice shave in that difficult area.

I would prefer not to pull up on the nose to shave every day for fear that over time it will curve even more.

If this actually occurred, there are many more practical applications for it! :w00t:

SSL, Rich, and James really seen to have the problem well calibrated. I have found with my Vision, aside from having to pull up on a nostril at a time, after doing a N-S (which doe NOT get any where near the opening of the nostrils because of the size of the shaving head), I do outside to inside and inside to outside passes , and then the deadly S-N after I am sure that I have managed to reduce the growth. It is really tough with the Vision. I use the very end of the blade in the nostril with GREAT CARE.
I find that the Futur provides for easier task accomplishment. The long-handle classic is a charm and presents no problem at all. Forget the slantbar! I can't even figure out where the blade is at any moment when it is under my nose. My ancient Schick injector is probably even more adroit than the long-handled classic, if that is even possible. The Progress falls somewhere between the Futur and the Long-handled Classic...
SO, what razor model are you using??:001_rolle

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm currently using the '49 Gillette Super Speed. It doesn't seem to be any larger than the other razors I've looked at, so its probably just my technique.

I'll try inside-to-out and vice-versa to see if I get better results.

Top Bottom