What's new

Help, shaving mechanics, actual shave problem

I wipe the blade onto a piece of tissue paper while shaving, then lay the razor on the TP while I wash the face for the second pass (not in the suds!). I wipe my hands on my bathroom towel hanging on the wall behind me before pass two. I conclude by wiping the blade on the clean end of the TP, then air drying in the bedroom while I have breakfast. I return & put 2 drops of baby oil on the blade & put it back to bed in the storage box in the bedroom.

I wipe my blade, as some barbers do, by drawing the razor spine backwards on the palm of my hand.
In that case do you only use one hand to shave?

I use running water to rinse the blade, blade down, making sure not to get water anywhere near the pin. When I need to set the razor down, I set it down carefully on a cloth. Never close the razor when shaving.... why would you want to risk getting moisture inside the scales?
When my hands get wet, I dry them off before picking the razor up again. At the end of the shave I dry the razor thoroughly with a cloth, use tissue to make sure there is no water inside the scales. I leave the razor slightly open on my chest of drawers for the next several hours before closing it. For a while I oiled the blade after each shave but then I stopped doing that.

I don't wipe razors with tissue because it's flimsy and it tends to leave bits behind. Paper towel can be better in this regard, depending on brand/quality. I usually just rinse under water during shave though. I only wipe after and for that I use a bath towel. Most of the time I strop on linen afterwards.

After rinsing or for whatever reason I need to put the blade down, I just lay the razor on its side, partially open. I have a silicone rubber mat type of thing by the sink but it's usually occupied so I just put razor on the counter. In a pinch I'll fold the blade shut and stand it in a cup.

Since I am in the bathroom, with running water, and I am not known to be the most careful person on the planet, I just assume drops of H20 are going to wind up in places I don't want them do. So I don't get crazed about where my hands might or night might be getting things wet or where the blade sits for a second or two, or any of that. It's just a razor, and it is going to get wet no matter what.

The final rinse is with extremely hot water, wipe dry, leave blade open to dry overnight. The hot steel will help dry off just about all excess water. A tiny drop of oil in the pivot once in a while, and I do mean tiny and I do mean once in a while - I use a precision applicator for this and I only do it 'once in a while'.

Jimps like to be brushed out and hit with a bit of oil now and then too, old toothbrushes are good for this but there are smaller and possibly easier to use mini brushes out there. I just use old toothbrushes because I have them handy usually.

I rinse the razor toe down under the faucet. Between passes I lay the razor on the sink counter, usually with the scales 180 degrees from the blade because my counter space is quite narrow. I keep a wet washcloth handy for wiping the face between passes and getting soap off my fingers. Also a towel to keep my fingers dry. At the end of the shave I rinse off the soap with hot running water and then dry with a microfiber cloth that came with a pair of sunglasses. No scratching, no disintegrating bits like TP and it is stiff enough to push between the scales which I do after a few spine-leading laps on the cloth layed on my open hand.

I don't wipe razors with tissue because it's flimsy and it tends to leave bits behind. Paper towel can be better in this regard, depending on brand/quality. I usually just rinse under water during shave though. I only wipe after and for that I use a bath towel. Most of the time I strop on linen afterwards.

After rinsing or for whatever reason I need to put the blade down, I just lay the razor on its side, partially open. I have a silicone rubber mat type of thing by the sink but it's usually occupied so I just put razor on the counter. In a pinch I'll fold the blade shut and stand it in a cup.

Since I am in the bathroom, with running water, and I am not known to be the most careful person on the planet, I just assume drops of H20 are going to wind up in places I don't want them do. So I don't get crazed about where my hands might or night might be getting things wet or where the blade sits for a second or two, or any of that. It's just a razor, and it is going to get wet no matter what.

The final rinse is with extremely hot water, wipe dry, leave blade open to dry overnight. The hot steel will help dry off just about all excess water. A tiny drop of oil in the pivot once in a while, and I do mean tiny and I do mean once in a while - I use a precision applicator for this and I only do it 'once in a while'.

Jimps like to be brushed out and hit with a bit of oil now and then too, old toothbrushes are good for this but there are smaller and possibly easier to use mini brushes out there. I just use old toothbrushes because I have them handy usually.

What type oil you using, thx

There is some great advice here. But everyone does things differently and you need to figure out what works for you. The one basic is to have a small towel or barber's cloth to lay your razor down safely. If you have not seen Chimensch's 30th Anniversary Shaving Video, you should definitely watch it a few times. I don't suggest you try to imitate his style. But note how comfortable he is with the razor. See how he keeps the razor and his hands dry by wiping on a sponge. And he uses an alum block to get a better grip on the razor.

Maybe you have seen the video. If not, here is the link. It is worth watching several times.

There is some great advice here. But everyone does things differently and you need to figure out what works for you. The one basic is to have a small towel or barber's cloth to lay your razor down safely. If you have not seen Chimensch's 30th Anniversary Shaving Video, you should definitely watch it a few times. I don't suggest you try to imitate his style. But note how comfortable he is with the razor. See how he keeps the razor and his hands dry by wiping on a sponge. And he uses an alum block to get a better grip on the razor.

Maybe you have seen the video. If not, here is the link. It is worth watching several times.

Thx Eastcoast,,,,
Trying to Master shaving from start to finish
Certainly will watch and thinking/ planning my evening shave tonite
You guys have been helpful in my journey in the srt of SR shaving,

Surprisingly no one laugh at me as my wife looked into my shaving den and said, why is there balls toliet paper everywhere, floor, ceiling, lol,,
Needed some structure before slicing ear off or damaging my razors,,,

Appreciate all info and help

Thanks for asking the question. I've now got a good picture of other's approaches. Most of what I do has been mentioned. Here are a few of my high points:

Silicone razor socks/sleeves work great for me.

My shave towels are flat woven (no pile) 100% cotton 'dishclothes'. One is a resting place for shave gear, the other is for drying.

Immediately when finished with the razor (before any additional part of the shave), I hot rinse the blade and shake, carefully. I then wipe the blade, not touching the edge, on a flat woven cotton towel. If there is noticeable water on the edge I may strop a tiny stroke on the towel. Then I strop a few laps on linen and 15 or twenty on leather. Razor into sleeve, sleeve staged outside the bathroom for later putaway. Then I'm back to finish the shave, clean the rest of the gear, and put things away.

When I first started SR shaving everything was wet! Now I can't imagine how I was that sloppy. These days the scales seldom feel even a drop of water. I don't put alum on my fingers, but during a shave I never touch an SR with less than perfectly dry, grippy fingers. I am surrounded by towels in my small den.

I do find that sometimes, at some angles, my fingers holding the razor touches my face in one place while the business end is elsewhere. Sometimes a brush will drip lather down the handle while I'm relathering between passes and I need to rinse my hand. Therefore I keep a towel for hand drying between passes or when/if necessary.

I keep a smaller no-nap microfiber towel for setting down the razor and for wiping it down after.

I do ten suede laps when I put the razor back in my office, where it sits in a small wooden tray overnight drying or "resting" :p. Depending on the edge I do my balsa laps and stropping next day, or just strop if I've still got a particularly nice edge from someone competent.

Alert////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Bad news
Just nick my edge on faucet
Crap [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Heard a distint noise and said maybe spine touch facet but nope small chip near toe
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

New razor had a perfect edge was enjoying
Now taking razor to 2k and back up

Good news chip fixable but this will be my first chip repair [emoji28]

Crap brand new razor but fixable
Rereading this thread

Must have jinks myself as first accident, guess could been worse , im ok just need to fix chip and re hone razor

Just had a better shave, last shave not so well
Re read comments several times and planned out shave

Still working on mechanics of actual shave
Thx all

Top Bottom