What's new

Help, shaving mechanics, actual shave problem

Hey shavers

Been SR shaving 6 months now,,, what a ride
Stop showing those amazing razors and my wallet may get a rest[emoji3]

Seriously have a question about shaving

Mastering the actual shave but here are my problems

Tissue to wipe blade and or facet to rinse?
Combo both?
( i know sounds simple but can you elaborate)

Next issue,,, say you want to rinse face before 2 pass,,,, were the heck do you set your razor down at???

Again having issues as i set my blade resting agaist soap container and yep, she slip off, luckily no issues

How in the heck do you keep your hands especially shaving hand dry
Yes i use a towel but still having tech issues

I am right handed and seems i prefer using right hand ti hold razor to bbs

Go easy on me, anyone else having issues or just me, lol

My wife laughed at me as she found lots used tissue in my den bathroom

Seems i need to rethink my actual shave mechanics

Cheers all[emoji3]

on the right side of sink.....I always lay down a dry wash cloth to lay my razor on. no risk of bumping edge this way.

after my shave is completed.....while at sink, clean blade with handsoap and rinse. blow out scales. Strop edge trailing on dry part of towel 5 times to dry off. might even hand Strop just to give a bump on the edge. really doesn't matter. as soon as I go downstairs to the bedroom it will get 20 linen and 50 leather.......oiled and put in my wall case.

camo

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Hey shavers

Been SR shaving 6 months now,,, what a ride
Stop showing those amazing razors and my wallet may get a rest[emoji3]

Seriously have a question about shaving

Mastering the actual shave but here are my problems

Tissue to wipe blade and or facet to rinse?
Combo both?
( i know sounds simple but can you elaborate)

Next issue,,, say you want to rinse face before 2 pass,,,, were the heck do you set your razor down at???

Again having issues as i set my blade resting agaist soap container and yep, she slip off, luckily no issues

How in the heck do you keep your hands especially shaving hand dry
Yes i use a towel but still having tech issues

I am right handed and seems i prefer using right hand ti hold razor to bbs

Go easy on me, anyone else having issues or just me, lol

My wife laughed at me as she found lots used tissue in my den bathroom

Seems i need to rethink my actual shave mechanics

Cheers all[emoji3]
I get what you mean about the razors, same.
-I just rinse the blade under running water and am careful when bringing back to my face to avoid the faucet. I don’t use tissues. I find this simplest for me.
-I lay my razor on a hand towel beside the sink when I want to put it down or rinse my face.
-My hand stays mostly dry, I try to focus on just rinsing the blade. I just dry it with a hand towel if it gets wet.
-I’m also right handed, but practiced using my left. It‘s feeling more intuitive now, but took time. Works for me.
-Figuring out what works for you, trial and error.
-My issues are now about maintaining edge sharpness, honing, stropping and getting the most out of my razors.
-I go through a lot of hand towels
-Good luck.

on the right side of sink.....I always lay down a dry wash cloth to lay my razor on. no risk of bumping edge this way.

after my shave is completed.....while at sink, clean blade with handsoap and rinse. blow out scales. Strop edge trailing on dry part of towel 5 times to dry off. might even hand Strop just to give a bump on the edge. really doesn't matter. as soon as I go downstairs to the bedroom it will get 20 linen and 50 leather.......oiled and put in my wall case.

camo

Thx all, when you say lay razor on, is the blade open
Camoloc what type oil you use
Never considered rinse with soap

Appreciate info
[emoji3]

I get what you mean about the razors, same.
-I just rinse the blade under running water and am careful when bringing back to my face to avoid the faucet. I don’t use tissues. I find this simplest for me.
-I lay my razor on a hand towel beside the sink when I want to put it down or rinse my face.
-My hand stays mostly dry, I try to focus on just rinsing the blade. I just dry it with a hand towel if it gets wet.
-I’m also right handed, but practiced using my left. It‘s feeling more intuitive now, but took time. Works for me.
-Figuring out what works for you, trial and error.
-My issues are now about maintaining edge sharpness, honing, stropping and getting the most out of my razors.
-I go through a lot of hand towels
-Good luck.

Thank you

If water gets into the pivot you'll get rust which you can't get at without taking the scales off.

Wiping the blade clean on tissue or a sponge isn't a bad idea although personally I rinse with water, being careful not to get any water near the pivot.

Next, I give the blade a quick wipe with a towel to dry off the water. If you don't, drips of water will slide down into the pivot. Hold the razor with the point down at all times when the blade is wet.

Also keep your fingers dry at all times.

If water gets into the pivot you'll get rust which you can't get at without taking the scales off.

Wiping the blade clean on tissue or a sponge isn't a bad idea although personally I rinse with water, being careful not to get any water near the pivot.

Next, I give the blade a quick wipe with a towel to dry off the water. If you don't, drips of water will slide down into the pivot. Hold the razor with the point down at all times when the blade is wet.

Also keep your fingers dry at all times.

During actual shave strokes on face, and during shave soap tries to get near pivot area,,,,my bathroom very humid,,,been kinda complicated keeping hands dry especially shave hand,,,,
Seems i need to plan rethink my process

Thx

Thx all, when you say lay razor on, is the blade open
Camoloc what type oil you use
Never considered rinse with soap

Appreciate info
[emoji3]

yes I lay it blade open in whichever configuration I will need for the next pass.

usually 90 degrees or the other time a bit pass fully open for my south to north passes or XTG passes.

oil. I been using simple mineral oil in a small dropper bottle I have.

camo

yes I lay it blade open in whichever configuration I will need for the next pass.

usually 90 degrees or the other time a bit pass fully open for my south to north passes or XTG passes.

oil. I been using simple mineral oil in a small dropper bottle I have.

camo

Thx

I use Ikea white paper napkins 40x40 cm to dry my razor after shaving before stropping. One napkin last a week or two.
Between passes i place the razor on a small wooden plate that im I've bought from H&M. The plate is on a shelf below thr mirror.
IKEA and H&M two Swedish companies for a Swede can that be a coincidence ?

I use Ikea white paper napkins 40x40 cm to dry my razor after shaving before stropping. One napkin last a week or two.
Between passes i place the razor on a small wooden plate that im I've bought from H&M. The plate is on a shelf below thr mirror.
IKEA and H&M two Swedish companies for a Swede can that be a coincidence ?

Interesting pics if you have to time[emoji3]

We would love to see all your amazing razors but will settle for pic of your wooden plate[emoji3]lol
Thx[emoji3]

Hey shavers

1. Tissue to wipe blade and or facet to rinse? Combo both?

2. Next issue,,, say you want to rinse face before 2 pass,,,, were the heck do you set your razor down at???

3. How in the heck do you keep your hands especially shaving hand dry

4. I am right handed and seems i prefer using right hand ti hold razor to bbs

1. I rinse under hot water

2. I shake the water off and fold the razor before setting it down.

3. I rinse soap off my hands and shake off water. I don’t get concerned if they are a bit damp.

4. You can shave with opyou dominate hand, I do. I hold the razor so that the blade orientation mirrors itself so if the nose of the razor points to my nose on my left side, it does so in my right side as well.

1. I rinse under hot water

2. I shake the water off and fold the razor before setting it down.

3. I rinse soap off my hands and shake off water. I don’t get concerned if they are a bit damp.

4. You can shave with opyou dominate hand, I do. I hold the razor so that the blade orientation mirrors itself so if the nose of the razor points to my nose on my left side, it does so in my right side as well.

Learning lots things from this thread,,appreciate help/ info,,
Never thought about folding razor or soap or all the comments,,,, napkins, IKEA [emoji3], boxes [emoji403] etc…

Since on s roll asking,,,how long is your stroke, razor on face before wiping with tissue or rising, or needing to dry hand again,,, soap and lathering technique dependent
My lather is extremely wet,,,
Guess whatever needed don’t overthink ?

"Tissue to wipe blade and or facet to rinse?"
-I just rinse, if the soap is sticky also using two fingers.

"where the heck do you set your razor down at???"
-On a roll toilet paper

"How in the heck do you keep your hands especially shaving hand dry"
-No need for me, just always rinse the soap of and fast touch on towel

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
As for towels and drying, I use a fresh fresh dry wash cloth and a fresh dry hand towel with each shave. The wash cloth it to rest my SR on (open) during the the shave and to dry the blade (not touching the edge) after the shave. The hand towel is used to keep my hands dry during the shave and to pat my face dry after the shave.

As for rinsing my blade, I rinse under running cold water during the shave as needed, being careful to avoid the faucet. This is done point-down to keep water out of the pivot pin area.

After the shave and drying the blade on the face cloth, being careful not to touch the edge, the edge gets about half-a-dozen laps on a a clean chamois strop to clean the edge. I use toilet paper to dry any moisture inside the scales and around the pivot pin. This is followed by about 50-60 laps on a 0.1μm diamond pasted hanging balsa srop. Once that is all done, I then apply a little Renaissance wax to the blade for long-term protection as my blades "rest" for about 30 days between shaves.

The above may all sound like a lot of work but it really isn't once you get into a routine.

Last edited:
I have a wash cloth designated for straight razor shaving. I lay the cloth on the counter. When I want to rinse soap off blade, I place blade under running water. I then wipe the blade with the wash cloth. I flip the wash cloth and the razor on the cloth with blade open. I can then rinse my face before the next pass. I dry hands on a regular towel. I pick up razor with my dry hands and proceed to the next pass.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
When I’m done lathering, I rinse my hands off and dry them before I pick up the razor. After that, there’s no reason that my dry fingers would get wet beyond maybe a drop or two of splash which a barber towel takes care of. Certainly there’s no reason for your dry fingers to touch your wet face, you’re not shaving with the tang? Of course, DON’T rinse the entire razor, scales and pivot when you/re done, the only wet part should be the blade. Shaving with a straight razor while holding the tang with wet soapy fingers is not what I want to do. You can keep your fingers and the pivot dry, it isn’t that hard.

Leave the razor open a bit to air dry for a few hours when you’re done.

If you do get water into the pivot, you can blow it out with a can of compressed air or use a piece of tissue to wick it out. If you want, you can use bicycle chain wax in the pivot. Use a wax product not the myriad of others. The wax lubricates and repels moisture. You may have to tighten the pivot a little after using any lubricant.

When I’m done shaving and after I’ve wiped the razor off on the barber towel, there will still be some soap residue left especially if you’re using a ‘dirty’ soap like Proraso or heavily fatted artisan soaps. To clean the blade, I have for years used a little uchigumori slurry on a square of scratch free moistened paper towel - some paper towels will scratch, test first. The uchigumori on the paper towel is kind of a poor mans uchigo, a cloth ball filled with fine uchigumori powder used in sword maintenance. It will remove all the soap residue and is safe on gold as long as you don’t actually try to polish the gold with it. Then I strop the razor to clean the bevel.

If the razor is in rotation, it goes in a razor stand partially open to finish drying. If it’s being put away, it goes into a razor sock or gets a little silicone oil on it (the same oil as in the razor socks) and into it’s coffin, AFTER air drying.

I use Ren Wax if the razor is pitted intending the wax to fill the pits once they’re cleaned. I have used VCI paper but it does need to be replaced every couple of years or so.

This may sound complicated but it isn’t, the only products that I routinely use are the wipes and razor sock/silicone oil (same thing).

6B665BF9-A163-4359-8AB6-8A8C8F1C5928.jpeg
CC1A5AEC-4898-4B88-819A-B1A39F3C488F.jpeg

I wipe the blade clean on a damp sponge that I keep sink side during the shave.

I never put the razor down during the shave. I always have it in my hand until it’s cleaned off with water and a towel prior to my rinse.

Hands should not get wet. I use a lather that is hydrated just before the point of dripping. If my finger tips have a bit of soap on them from skin stretching, I wipe them off on the towel that I’m wearing around my waist.

Good luck and happy shaves.

During my shave I rinse the blade taking care to never wet the tang or pivot. I keep a dry hand towel to always ensure both my hands stay dry. I dont rinse my face between passes. I do a 2 pass shave. I shave with both hands. Just do it and after a while it becomes habit. I never set my razor down during my shave. When I am finished I dry the blade with my dry hand towel. I never have to dry scales or pivot because I take care to not get them wet during the shave. I strop on linen post shave 25 laps and leave razor open until evening to air dry. No oil, no wax necessary. In the evening SR goes back in display box. I keep a regular rotation of 11 razors in my display box. Have many more in long term display boxes.

K.I.S.S works for me...

Rinse, toe down, under running water. (Careful of the faucet.) Tried the sponge thing and it was too complicated for me.

Hands, if wet, get dried on a hand towel before I pick the razor up.

After rinsing I lay the razor down, open, on the tile countertop between passes.

After the shave I wipe the razor down with the hand towel before stropping on linen (~15) and then leather (~30).

No extra cleanup. No extra trash. It's worked well for over 3 years so far.

Top Bottom