What's new

Help restoring Ever-Ready #115

Ahh, got it out finally. I cut it into 3 pieces with a plier cutter. I was afraid the pressure might crack the ferrule, and while it creaked for a moment, it ended up unscathed, and I was able to cut it out cleanly. Now I just have to wait for the knot to arrive.
View attachment 871135

That's great. If you have a digital micrometer you can get a good idea of what your options will be. The glue bump will be one issue. Some 0000 Steel Wool should allow you to clean up the inside without damaging the ferrule. The use of painters tape along the rim would not hurt either.
You can also decide what you would like to do for a handle. There a many, many options and approaches for that, but I would say dream and dream big. Get creative. Brass nuts and bolts, wooden handles, tool handles, drawer handles, other shaving brushes that are severely damaged, but still have good to excellent handles on the 'Bay, chess-board pieces, chunks of wood, etc.

Good work on the epoxy. I use that stuff quite a bit rebuilding different things mostly windows on occasion filled with sawdust. Anyway you've got quite a task going on there I applaud your determination. You will get it figured out it'll be a fine brush. I chimed in because I actually bought a brush handle the other day that I thought I'd make a project out of. I've got other stuff going on but I'm going to tackle this one one of these days maybe. I'm looking forward to see your finished product nice work on the sanding.View attachment 871137
Eveready 3041
Thank you. That is one good looking handle. The main reason I wanted to salvage this handle is that is very thin and will fit perfectly my vintage bakelite and chrome travel cylinder. Now I need to order the knot. For the size of the opening, I can fit a penny with a tad bit of force, so it should be around 18.5-19mm. I'll order an 18mm, and maybe sand the opening a bit. I believe I have plenty room, and I don't want the knot to be too thin.

That's great. If you have a digital micrometer you can get a good idea of what your options will be. The glue bump will be one issue. Some 0000 Steel Wool should allow you to clean up the inside without damaging the ferrule. The use of painters tape along the rim would not hurt either.
You can also decide what you would like to do for a handle. There a many, many options and approaches for that, but I would say dream and dream big. Get creative. Brass nuts and bolts, wooden handles, tool handles, drawer handles, other shaving brushes that are severely damaged, but still have good to excellent handles on the 'Bay, chess-board pieces, chunks of wood, etc.
Oh, no need to. I managed to glue the handle to the ferrule. I only used crazy glue, but once I pour the epoxy, it will be much more stable. There is still a bit of old glue adhered to the inside walls of the ferrule, but I don't think it will impede the knot to fit loosely. In fact, I'll have to put something inside so the knot can rest while it cures, and not sink down.
I'll mix a bit more epoxy and fix a couple spots where the mix wasn't that good, and it peeled off, but the rest of the handle is pretty hard. If I could only find a similar paint color that can be polished. But I can live with it as it is.
IMG_2741.JPG IMG_4963.JPG IMG_5739.JPG

What about a Latex dip or something similar to that? I could imagine a handle with Rhino-lining covering it.

I have 3 cans of this, for a project that never took off. I'll have to apply it once is painted, though, since it looks permanent. Will this work?

IMG_2173.jpg

You seem to be pretty good at sanding so here's an idea sand down just below the surface to which you're aiming for then apply appropriate number of coats of this product. You can probably find any color you want...
Screenshot_20180328-142446_Chrome.jpg

.......:euro:....

Well, this is the final results. I can say that looks great and makes a nice lather. I just shaved with her yesterday, and the longish handle helps to have a lot of leverage to whip that lather really good. I used the PPA travel scuttle.

A minor drawback is that I was expecting to fit inside one of the canisters that came with a vintage travel kit that I got a few weeks ago, and while it fits on width, it protrudes too much, and won't close. So, I'll have to find another canister. But overall, the brush restoration was a success.

Attachments

• IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2201.jpg
    IMG_2201.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2202.jpg
    IMG_2202.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
A minor drawback is that I was expecting to fit inside one of the canisters that came with a vintage travel kit that I got a few weeks ago, and while it fits on width, it protrudes too much, and won't close. So, I'll have to find another canister.

I use a large prescription drug bottle for my brush travel container. You might check with your local pharmacy to see if they have a bottle that you're brush will fit in.

I use a large prescription drug bottle for my brush travel container. You might check with your local pharmacy to see if they have a bottle that you're brush will fit in.
Sadly we don't use that kind of bottles in Panama. They only have plastic envelopes.
BTW how much are they if you purchase them alone? My brush is roughly 4.5 inches tall.

Sadly we don't use that kind of bottles in Panama. They only have plastic envelopes.
BTW how much are they if you purchase them alone? My brush is roughly 4.5 inches tall.

I don't know, as I used one from a med I was taking. But I'm sure it wouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars. Amazon carries some options as well.

I don't know, as I used one from a med I was taking. But I'm sure it wouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars. Amazon carries some options as well.
I'm searching already, but all I see are not tall enough. The longest I've found so far is 3.25 inches tall, and that is more than one inch short. So, I think I'll have to DIY something for it, maybe with a piece of PVC water pipe.

Top Bottom