What's new

Help Replacing Merkur HD (34c)

Blade gap is just part of the overall geometry. Blade gap is not what really matters so much as blade exposure. This is how much of the blade extends beyond an imaginary line drawn between the guard and the cap.
I'm no expert & maybe I'm crazy. But I find my Fatip Gentile, which has a small blade gap, more efficient than my GC .84 which has a larger gap.

@Atlantic59, in all the actuality, both exposure and gap matter...
@DaveHStone, this subject has been discussed at great length on the forum, so I really don't want to go through it all again. The point I wanted to make to the OP is that gap does not tell the whole story, regardless of how manufacturers choose to market their razors.

A Merkur Futur, for instance, has a huge gap, even at setting #1, but it is not really very aggressive at that setting. A razor such as the Fatip Piccolo mk1 is quite aggressive, but has a tiny gap, with abundant blade exposure.

On an adjustable razor, that varies the gap but keeps the rest of the geometry constant, as the gap increases, so does the exposure (very quickly, in the case of the Futur!).

1622551463445.png

I'm no expert & maybe I'm crazy. But I find my Fatip Gentile, which has a small blade gap, more efficient than my GC .84 which has a larger gap.
That's really my point. The blade exposure is fairly high on the Fatip (especially the mk1 version!). Gap is not everything when it comes to efficiency/aggressiveness.

@BigJ - thanks
1. Modern
2. Stainless (presuming it’s easier to care for)

Regarding replacement parts, I’ve got three small chips in the Chrome. Two on the edge of the cap and one on the edge of the baseplate. I maybe could find a replacement cap but not a baseplate as it’s attached to the handle. While small my concern is that these chips are all right around the blade area
I’m also Interested in the 3 piece razors which would give the potential for buying several baseplates if desired

1. Modern
2. Stainless (presuming it’s easier to care for)

I’m also Interested in the 3 piece razors which would give the potential for buying several baseplates if desired
That, plus you want a new razor under $70 or so, narrows it down quite a lot. As people were saying Razorock Lupo or Gamechanger seem like a good fit. You have to decide on a few details like which gap and handle you'd like.

@Atlantic59 - correct, under $70. I like short, simple, knurled handles. So the only think I’m exploring then I guess is gap/aggressiveness. When I was new to wet shaving 13 years ago, post just said “if you’re new, get the HD and it’ll grow with you” so I did. There were many options for new either - mostly Merkur or Muhle. So I didn’t pay attention to things like gap and aggressiveness

That, plus you want a new razor under $70 or so, narrows it down quite a lot. As people were saying Razorock Lupo or Gamechanger seem like a good fit. You have to decide on a few details like which gap and handle you'd like.

+1! You really narrowed the field! Just a few details left.

I'm in the same boat as the OP but I haven't been wet shaving as long. The 34C has been my main razor for about a year and have started rotating it with a Slim and a Blue Tip Super Speed. I'm equally happy with all of them. I'm starting to think about something in stainless steel but I'm not in a big hurry.

Personal Recommendations:

Fatip Gentile - if you want an normal priced razor that is made of Brass from a historical brand. Very smooth, mild, comfortable yet efficient

Razorock Game Changer or Lupo use there chart as it seems very accurate in my usage. Full CNC 316 Stainless and a reasonable price and well made. All are great razors in use (Have Mamba .53, Game Changers .68p, 84p and Lupo .72)
PAA DOC Ascension if you want a wicked looking smooth, comfortable razor that is also efficient. Multiple material options (Aluminium, 316 Stainless steel and Copper) normal, reasonable and entry level high end price points depending on material

The best way to replicate the Merkur 34C's shaving attributes in SS would probably be to go for the Rockwell 6S. Full disclosure here, I don't have one. But many who do say they shave like a 34C, only smoother. And one of the 6 plates will almost certainly suit you, as long as you're not after super aggressive. If the 6S is too expensive there's the 6C but it's not stainless steel.

No one has mentioned the Fatip Lo Storto Originale (open comb slant). Sounds like it’s aggressive, but it’s not. It has magic, period. (I like mild razors like Techs.) All for about $40.

Check out the B&B threads. It may be right for you.

Top Bottom