What's new

Help Replacing Merkur HD (34c)

I've had a Merkur HD (34c) for 12 years and been very pleased with it. It was my first and only DE that I've tried. I recently noticed some pitting in the chrome, so I guess it's time to replace it. I have nothing opposed to getting a new HD, but with all the advancements since I bought it, I thought I'd ask for any recommendations.

My only caveats are that I love the short handle and the heft of the HD and would like to keep that similar. And wondering about SS? I typically shave every other day (not heavy growth) and typically use Personna Reds that I have a stock of. I am also intrigued by the new razors with replaceable heads.

If you're very pleased with your Merkur, I would not replace it just because it has some pitting in the chrome. I have maybe 12 vintage DE and SE razors and most of them have some plating loss. They all were made of brass and then most were plated with nickel, silver or gold. The plating loss, like the pitting in the chrome of your Merkur, does not affect the usability of the razors. This morning, I got a great shave with a GEM Micromatic from the 1930s which has significant plating loss.

To clarify, it’s not pitting it’s chipping. It’s Small, but around the cutting edge. I’ve been cut by chilled chrome (not shaving) and am concerned that such would be the case here

To clarify, it’s not pitting it’s chipping. It’s Small, but around the cutting edge. I’ve been cut by chilled chrome (not shaving) and am concerned that such would be the case here
If your razor has chipping (as opposed to pitting), I agree that it's time to replace it. A Gillette Super Speed would be a fine replacement. You also might want to try a Gillette adjustable. There's something cool about shaving with a vintage razor. My vintage razors run in age from 1910 to the early 1960s.

I would suggest a RazoRock Lupo.....either 72 or 95. I have both and much prefer the 95. I find it more comfortable and efficient than the 72. I shaved with a 34HD for a time and you will be fine moving to a Lupo. Lots of handle choices as well. Italian Barber is where you find them.

I've had a Merkur HD (34c) for 12 years and been very pleased with it. It was my first and only DE that I've tried. I recently noticed some pitting in the chrome, so I guess it's time to replace it. I have nothing opposed to getting a new HD, but with all the advancements since I bought it, I thought I'd ask for any recommendations.

My only caveats are that I love the short handle and the heft of the HD and would like to keep that similar. And wondering about SS? I typically shave every other day (not heavy growth) and typically use Personna Reds that I have a stock of. I am also intrigued by the new razors with replaceable heads.
The closest thing to 34c would be RR Lupo 0.72, given 34c has a 0.71 blade gap. Lupo is CNC machined in 316L SS. RR has (almost) the same "HD" handle as your 34c, which is also SS. If I were you, I'd give it a shot.

@DaveHStone - thanks for the recommendation. But I’m confused because Italian Barber lists the Lupo several notches in “aggressiveness” even though it has a smaller blade gap than the Game Changer .84?

@DaveHStone - thanks for the recommendation. But I’m confused because Italian Barber lists the Lupo several notches in “aggressiveness” even though it has a smaller blade gap than the Game Changer .84?
Blade gap is just part of the overall geometry. Blade gap is not what really matters so much as blade exposure. This is how much of the blade extends beyond an imaginary line drawn between the guard and the cap.

Blade gap is just part of the overall geometry. Blade gap is not what really matters so much as blade exposure. This is how much of the blade extends beyond an imaginary line drawn between the guard and the cap.
@Atlantic59, in all the actuality, both exposure and gap matter. Think of it this way:

Low gap / low exposure: very small variety of ideal shaving angles, low blade feel
Low gap / high exposure: still narrow spectrum of shaving angles, extended blade feel
High gap / low exposure: wider range of shaving angles / low blade feel
High gap / high exposure: wider range of shaving angles / high blade feel

Bottom-line is - manufacturers always describe aggressiveness in terms of the blade GAP and never exposure. That's why all these razors are called .68, .72, .84, .95... etc, etc... personally I prefer a razor with somewhat larger gap, as that allows me to use it more intuitively, as the range of shave-able angles will be greater. As for exposure, positive by all means, but not overly aggressive.

@superpacker, look I'm no expert, but I'll tell you these listings are highly subjective and a lot of it is YMMV. Just do a search on this forum for "Lupo vs. GC" and you'll have 180 degrees opposite opinions. Some guys will claim GC to be "way better, smoother, etc than Lupo", other will claim the exact opposite. So, it's really six of one, half dozen of the other. It will depend on the blade used, technique, etc, etc... FWIW, personally if I were hard pressed to chose a RR DE, I'd get a SLOC as my #1 pick, with BBS as close second. Thankfully, I'm not pressed, so I shave with the Vector, as I prefer SE blades in general.

At the end of the day, you obviously love and enjoy your 34c, it's a razor you know and have been using all these years, so why not just get a new one and call it a day? 😉

Last edited:
@Atlantic59 - thanks. I have no problem just getting another HD. But I guess I’m intrigued by the potential longevity of SS compared to plate (presuming maintenance is the same?)? So I guess I have it now down to either (1) a new HD or (2) a SS (preferably 316) that’s similar and sub $70 - which I guess means Razorock

That does leave me with the question as to whether SS is easier or harder to maintain? I don’t abuse but don’t baby. I also rise and air dry after each shave, but usually only deep clean about 3 times a year - and just use run razor

That does leave me with the question as to whether SS is easier or harder to maintain? I don’t abuse but don’t baby. I also rise and air dry after each shave, but usually only deep clean about 3 times a year - and just use run razor
As long as you don't put in acid, you don't have to do anything to "maintain" a 316L SS, it's marine grade stainless steel. You can literally dump it in sea water and it won't rust. Think Rolex Submariner. It's the same metal.

Top Bottom