What's new

Help Please - Mama Bear Soaps Burn My Face

Hi all, not a noob but could use some help. I recently purchased Mama Bear's Ye Ole Barbershop and Sandalwood. I thought is was the razor blade (Gillette Silver Blue) using a Merkur 33C. Well, I gave my face a couple of days off, applied Sandalwood lather to my face and here came the burn instantly - no blade used. With this said, do any of you have recommendations for a good soap I can lather with that may not burn? Her soaps sure smell great, but I just can't take the burn. I really could use the help before ordering some online soon.

Much Thanks,

Russ

your not the only one!!! try and stay away from heavy fragrance soaps.

personally, i love the mamas. but i do feel it a bit with the Polynesian red.

Russ, I had the same effect with Mama Bear's Gucci. I would recommend my favorite, Mike's Natural. Just pick a scent. Great Tallow based performers, great scents, and are packed with all kinds of skin goodness.

I'm at a loss, glycerin soap is renown for being gentle. The only thing I can think of is that you may be allergic to some of the ingredients (like the essential oil). I'd try a unscented one to see if this is the case, if it still burns, move to what you were using before.

Hi all, not a noob but could use some help. I recently purchased Mama Bear's Ye Ole Barbershop and Sandalwood. I thought is was the razor blade (Gillette Silver Blue) using a Merkur 33C. Well, I gave my face a couple of days off, applied Sandalwood lather to my face and here came the burn instantly - no blade used. With this said, do any of you have recommendations for a good soap I can lather with that may not burn? Her soaps sure smell great, but I just can't take the burn. I really could use the help before ordering some online soon.

Much Thanks,

Russ

Sadly i have had this reaction to lots of products even ones with light scents even to ones from a company that other products worked just fine. i recently tried two products from Mikes both worked perfectly with no reaction but i wouldnt say all Mikes products are going to work with out reaction i hope they do but no way of knowing until i try.

my recommendation is get samplesfirst try small amounts if you react you can react to anything sadly even to great products. i wouldnt assume that other mama bears are going to cause a reaction. try samples

I'm at a loss, glycerin soap is renown for being gentle. The only thing I can think of is that you may be allergic to some of the ingredients (like the essential oil). I'd try a unscented one to see if this is the case, if it still burns, move to what you were using before.

Proraso is a glycerin soap that i have been using for 25 years with no reaction and it has tones of essential oils. other proraso products also glycerin also tones of essential oils , though maybe copys, like the tea oil terns my face into a tomoto.

Russ,

I have the same problem with Mama Bear soaps. For me, it's Fragrance oils she uses in her soaps. It's a shame because I love the way her soaps perform and the way my skin feels after my shave, bur I can't tolerate the feeling when I apply it to my face. If you like glycerine soaps, I've had good luck with Col Conk Lime.

Good luck

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
It saddens me that so many folks seem to have trouble with Mama Bears. but it seems to be happening more and more for some reason.
PM sent with some trade options.

I've only had a reaction to one lathering product and that was Trumper's Limes cream. It was like pepper spray. I was bright red for 3 days. Needless to say..... http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/270178

I had no problems with the Truefitt & Hill West Indies Lime, but what ever was in the of Trumper's was not for me.

Just move on to another scent, make note of the ones that bother you, and steer clear of them in the future

Hi all,
I'm still reading the posts and appreciate all of the help! I'll take a look at the products you all are giving me. Keep them coming. I will order a product or two from the recommendations. Thanks so much!
Russ

It could just be the sandalwood.....
My one sample of Mysore Sandalwood irritated my skin, but none of the other Mystic Waters did.

I've tried 5 of her soaps, and only two didn't burn. I think she uses a lot of the oils, which is why the soaps smell so darn good. But if you are sensitive like me, you may be out of luck. I couldn't use Cella, either...allergies work in mysterious ways.

What works? Arko gives me no problems at all, although is smells like industrial cleaner at first. Proraso and Kiss My Face are also fine, all scents.

Thank! I'll keep the Proraso and Kiss My Face in mind!

You should find KMF locally to you. I have 3 shops within walking distance of my house that sell it here.

Stick your zip code into the Kiss My Face store locator to find a retailer near you and grab a tube ($5) or pump bottle ($8) of any scent.

http://www.kissmyface.com/store

These are amazing creams and one of the easiest to lather. They are sold as "brushless" but stick a brush to it and you will have a lava flow of slick, luxurious, lather to use.

If you have a Bed Bath and Beyond or Walgreen pharmacy, they sell RS (Real Shaving Company) cream. This old manufacturer makes many of the high ticket English shaving creams. The product they sell under their RS name has a very mild (nondescript) scent and should be one you try since you can pick it up near you for a few $$$

proxy.php

Thanks turtle. I do have a BBB and Walgreens here in Atlanta. Can I face lather with it, nice and slick?
Russ

Thanks turtle. I do have a BBB and Walgreens here in Atlanta. Can I face lather with it, nice and slick?
Russ

Yes, just put it directly on your face if you want to face lather. I dab it all around my face just like I would a shave stick then work it into a lather.

Both the KMF and RS are slick high quality creams that do not get a lot of press on here because they are inexpensive. Both are regulars for me because they perform so well.

Top Bottom