What's new

Help picking my "forever brush"

I too prefer brushes in the 20 -22mm range and suggest since you know what you like stay within that range. I have both the Torga C3 in Finest and the Duke 2 in Best. Picking one would be tough. If I had to I would get the Semogue first and then eventually the Duke 2. Both are worth having and deliver a fine shave. My Torga has a lovely face feel with some scrub in the background, the Duke is a bit softer on the face but with good backbone and tip feel.

I also have an Eagle 2 in Sovereign fibre and had a Muhle STF 21mm. Both are lovely brushes for synthetics and I would be happy with either. If required to pick one the edge would go to the Muhle.

Goodluck!
This is very helpful advice @d_e especially since you have, and like both the Torga C3 and Duke 2 as well as the synthetics I'm considering. I'm inclined to take your advice to get the Semgogue first and then the Duke in the future. Of course that will mean violating my "one brush" rule. But who am I kidding?:001_smile

As I posted previously, I found a 21mm Muhle STF for $31 at YourShaving.com and they also have a good price on the Torga C3 ($60). This means I could score two solid brushes that are quite different for what it would cost for a Duke 2. Perhaps that future Duke could even be a 3 in two-band, to kick it up a notch. Who knows? I'd have to start saving up though cuz paying north of $200 for a two-band Duke 3 per @Barbarian80 and @CJB3 recommendation (thanks fellas), would put me in a league I had not expected to be in!

Cheers and thanks again for weighing in,
-Sully

View attachment 1553889View attachment 1553891View attachment 1553890
Top to bottom: Shavemac 28mm Fiber; Yaqi 22mm; Muhle STF by Rudy Vey.

The Shavemac and the Yaqi replaced my boar brushes for harder soaps. I really like these two brushes. MWF or GFT are whipped to a good, thick lather with these two. The Shavemac can be configured using their Configurator. There are many handle styles and colors available. The Yaqi is the Cola version, which I think was recently discontinued for newer models, but there are still plenty out there. Both of these brushes have good backbone and soft tips.

The Rudy Vey uses the Muhle STF and it is so much better than my badger brushes I gave them away. I use this brush for creams and croaps.

I face have face lathered and palm lathered with all of these. What I usually do is a combination of bowl and face lathering and all of these work well for that.
That @Rudy Vey brush looks amazing! Perhaps when he gets back to business (fully recovered) I'll explore that option. In the meantime I'll experiment with the Muhle STF knot to see how I like it. Thanks for the pics and the suggestions.

-Sully

The Duke is a great brush. I have the synthetic version, but used a Duke 2 in best before. My Colonel has a very similar knot.

Regarding the Trafalgar, you may find it a little springy at first on the face lather but it opens up over time. I have the T2 and I love it. Just took some breaking in. It does have some face feel, at least mine does. I almost consider it the "pure badger" of synth fibers, which I really like.
Same happened with mine which, I have to admit, was totally unexpected. I really didn't like it much when it was new and didn't think synth brushes had the ability to break in but this one did and now, I like it a lot. But I really like my boar and badger brushes as much, maybe a little more. My limited experience with synthetic brushes has shown me they are flingers if one's not careful when face lathering. Neither my badger or brushes seem to have that trait. I've learned not to be so vigorous when face lathering with a synthetic.

That @Rudy Vey brush looks amazing! Perhaps when he gets back to business (fully recovered) I'll explore that option. In the meantime I'll experiment with the Muhle STF knot to see how I like it. Thanks for the pics and the suggestions.

-Sully
I didn't know he'd been sick. What happened?

Anyway, that is my favorite brush for croaps and creams. It is a stunning brush and feels good in the hand.

The big Shavemac (comes in colors) and little Yaqi are my favorite for hard soaps.

I didn't know he'd been sick. What happened?

Anyway, that is my favorite brush for croaps and creams. It is a stunning brush and feels good in the hand.

The big Shavemac (comes in colors) and little Yaqi are my favorite for hard soaps.
I had read his announcement earlier today he's having hand surgery that'll put him out of action for a few months.

Late to the party here. You didn't mention boar, but I wouldn't discount it for face-lathering.

My suggestions given the parameters you have mentioned:

Semogue 1438 (boar);
Simpson 2 (best badger);
AP Shave Co Synbad 22mm with red/ivory handle (synthetic--you can sink the loft a little as an option for more backbone).

They all work well for creams, but will also work well with hard soaps should you wish to take things in that direction later.

Late to the party here. You didn't mention boar, but I wouldn't discount it for face-lathering.

My suggestions given the parameters you have mentioned:

Semogue 1438 (boar);
Simpson 2 (best badger);
AP Shave Co Synbad 22mm with red/ivory handle (synthetic--you can sink the loft a little as an option for more backbone).

They all work well for creams, but will also work well with hard soaps should you wish to take things in that direction later.
That's Simpson Duke 2 (best badger) above. Can't edit it now.

Reactions: d_e
Okay fellow students of the shave, I have an update on my brush quest. As is the norm for folks who find themselves on a forum for shaving enthusiasts, I went ahead and ordered three of the brushes I was considering:

Simpsons Duke 2 in best
Simpsons Duke 3 in best
and the Semogue Torgue 3 silvertip

All three were on sale and I had heard so much support for each of them, that I had to see for myself (as many of you had suggested I do). Right out of the box I knew the Semogue was going back. It wasn't what I was expecting, tall and very stiff (I realize it would break in after using, but it just wasn't what I was looking for).

On the other hand, the Duke 3 was an instant fav. It fit my hand nicely and seemed to be just the right size with a nice balance of backbone and softness. I now understand what folks had been raving about. The Duke 2, which I was originally thinking would be my forever brush, seemed a bit too small and much more stiff -- compared with the Duke 3. The 3 seems like the Goldilocks.

I shaved with the Duke 3 today, and liked it. Looking forward to fully breaking it in. I'll be returning the Semogue (never used), and will probably be posting the Duke 2 for sale in a few weeks after my "newbie probation" is over for BST :) .

I want to thank everyone for their input, it really helped. I think I have a brush I'll be very happy with for the next ten years!

Cheers,
-Sully

Okay fellow students of the shave, I have an update on my brush quest. As is the norm for folks who find themselves on a forum for shaving enthusiasts, I went ahead and ordered three of the brushes I was considering:

Simpsons Duke 2 in best
Simpsons Duke 3 in best

All three were on sale and I had heard so much support for each of them, that I had to see for myself (as many of you had suggested I do). Right out of the box I knew the Semogue was going back. It wasn't what I was expecting, tall and very stiff (I realize it would break in after using, but it just wasn't what I was looking for).

On the other hand, the Duke 3 was an instant fav. It fit my hand nicely and seemed to be just the right size with a nice balance of backbone and softness. I now understand what folks had been raving about. The Duke 2, which I was originally thinking would be my forever brush, seemed a bit too small and much more stiff -- compared with the Duke 3. The 3 seems like the Goldilocks.

I shaved with the Duke 3 today, and liked it. Looking forward to fully breaking it in. I'll be returning the Semogue (never used), and will probably be posting the Duke 2 for sale in a few weeks after my "newbie probation" is over for BST :) .

I want to thank everyone for their input, it really helped. I think I have a brush I'll be very happy with for the next ten years!

Cheers,
-Sully
Now you need a Rudy Vey made brush using Muhle Silvertip Fiber and a Shavemac Fiber. My two favorite brushes, period.

Simpsons Duke 2 in best
Simpsons Duke 3 in best

Cheers,
-Sully
I'm not a badger enthusiast, in fact I only have 1 badger brush, incidentally a Semogue, the SOC 2band finest. Now I remember when the brush arrived, and it was not bloomed yet, the knot was completely different. Even now the feel of the tips is completely different dry and in use (wet and soapy).
I'm not saying you should not return your Semogue, just that you are making a conclusion based on the properties of an unused brush, that might not be how it would feel in use.

P.s.: even synths have a different feel on your skin dry vs soapy. Just my $0.02.

Simpsons Duke 2 in best
Simpsons Duke 3 in best

Cheers,
-Sully
Congrats! The Duke 3 in Best is truly a special brush.

Top Bottom