What's new

Help picking my "forever brush"

Hi All,
I'm seeking some help from all the resident experts here. I've been DE shaving for more than ten years, but have been using the same EJ Best Badger brush (and the same razor for that matter - EJ89) this entire time. I'd like to pick one or two brushes that will get me through the next ten years :001_smile

Here are the brushes that I'm considering. For those of you with experience with one or more of these brushes, which would you pick if it was to be your only brush for the next decade? Feel free to vote for one of the badger options and one of the synthetics if you've used any of them.

Badger (these two seemed to be among the favorites on the threads I've read)
-Semogue Torga 3 finest/silvertip (22mm knot)​
-Simpsons Duke 2 (21mm knot). So many also rav about the Duke 3 that I'd consider that as well.​

Synthetic (also two of most frequently recommended in this category)
-Simpsons Trafalgar 1 with 23mm knot (The "2" is also an option as many rav about it)​
-Muhle Silvertip fibre synthetic with 21mm knot​

A bit of background: I face lather exclusively, mainly use cream soap (Porazo green tube), and prefer a smaller brush (20-22mm knot). I recently tried a Razorock Bruce, my first synthetic, and really liked the way it made huge amounts of lather with a wee bit of cream. But the thing feels HUGE to me! And I didn't really dig the way the lather "flicked" on occasion. But, having read a lot of the brush-related threads here, I've sensed a general enthusiasm for synthetics among members.... That's how I came to try the Bruce. Anyway, while I think I have a preference for the badger over synthetic, I don't want to dismiss the synthetics too quickly. And am willing to "cheat" a bit by picking one badger and one synthetic brush to carry me through:)

Thanks,
Sully

First of all, congrats on not falling into RAD.

From your choices I'd go with the Simpsons Duke 2 and the Simpsons Trafalgar.

If I could throw something in here, as I like the feel of thicker hair on my face for facelathering - APshaveCo G5C in 24mm. This might be a little too big for you, but does not break the bank to try one. Yes, it is a knot only but most definitely worth a try (getting some cheaper handle is also possible with APshaveCo.). I own that one in 26mm and could not be happier with it. It most definitely is my forever knot and will be my forever brush once I find a handle pretty enough (of course I have it glued into a handle for usage but not the one I'd like it to be in).
APshaveCo does carry another synthetic Knot, the G5A, which is available in 22mm. Maybe you could try this one out.

Of the brushes you mentioned as possible options I have both the Simpson Duke 3 (best badger) and the Trafalgar 2. Both are excellent for face lathering though I slightly prefer the Duke over the Trafalgar. Another option would be the Simpson classic 1 or 2. The classic 1 is rated as a 21mm brush. The classic 2 is rated as a 23mm brush. They both come in both badger and synthetic versions

The Duke is a great brush. I have the synthetic version, but used a Duke 2 in best before. My Colonel has a very similar knot.

Regarding the Trafalgar, you may find it a little springy at first on the face lather but it opens up over time. I have the T2 and I love it. Just took some breaking in. It does have some face feel, at least mine does. I almost consider it the "pure badger" of synth fibers, which I really like.

All good choices. For the synthetic I definitely recommend the Mühle Silvertip Fibre. Another synthetic brush I like as much, but with a handle I prefer, is the Blackland Signature brush (23mm). Currently they are on sale for $49 rather than the usual $70 or so. Worth a look.

First of all, congrats on not falling into RAD.
Thanks, but while I'd like to take credit for having some self control, I didn't mention how quickly my razor collection has increased over the month I've been on B&B:c4: It started by ordering a cheap Razorock DE1 as a "throw in" on an order. Then, before I knew it, I had somehow acquired a Rockwell 6s, WSC Winner, and a Game Changer .84 (all from members here, so it's probably their fault):biggrin1:

From your choices I'd go with the Simpsons Duke 2 and the Simpsons Trafalgar.

If I could throw something in here, as I like the feel of thicker hair on my face for facelathering - APshaveCo G5C in 24mm. This might be a little too big for you, but does not break the bank to try one. Yes, it is a knot only but most definitely worth a try (getting some cheaper handle is also possible with APshaveCo.). I own that one in 26mm and could not be happier with it. It most definitely is my forever knot and will be my forever brush once I find a handle pretty enough (of course I have it glued into a handle for usage but not the one I'd like it to be in).
APshaveCo does carry another synthetic Knot, the G5A, which is available in 22mm. Maybe you could try this one out.
hmmm APshaveCo is one site I hadn't come across...thanks for the suggestions

I think a Duke 3 or a Muhle STF would be a fine choice. The Duke 2 was a little on the small side for me, but your choice should depend on your preferences. The Duke 3 I have in best is a great brush—soft tips with great splay and flow through, yet still reasonably dense with decent backbone.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have the Trafalgar T3 and I find it a bit too springy, it can fling lather. The 21mm STF (I have a Kosmo) is absolutely my favourite brush for face lathering and Muhle have some killer handles.
The true B&B answer though is you need to try all of them for yourself and make up your own mind. Plus your razors need more brushes to keep them company

I like smaller 2-band brushes. My all-time favorites are my Simpson Commodore X2 (21mm) and my very scrubby Yaqi Sagrada Familia (22mm). I could probably be happy with just these two, but I like travelling with a synthetic brush (usually a Yaqi Sagrada Familia tuxedo), since they dry so much faster. My x2 Commodore was my every-other-day-brush for nearly 10 years, until I rather recently reactivated my membership here and had a RAD/BAD relapse. It's probably still my favorite brush, but the little and inexpensive Yaqi also really hits the sweet spot for me.

Bottom line: Since I like letting my badger brushes dry ~48 hours between uses, and if I were an every-other-day shaver, I could probably get along with just the Simpson X2 Commodore or the Yaqi SF 22mm.

Last edited:
Any preferences in the badger hair grade or should it be also a Best as your EJ?

Synth I would clearly stick with the Mühle.

Other than the Bruce, I've only ever used best badger. I'd considered a silvertip but from what I've learned here, the Simpsons best is pretty darn good especially for face lathering. And thanks for the endorsement of the Muhle, that's where I'm leaning. I found this deal for it at YS which makes it even more appealing.

MÜHLE silvertip fibre shaving brush mod 31K257 - https://yourshaving.com/gb/shaving-brushes/65-365-muhle-synthetic-brush.html#/51-hair-synthetic_fiber

I have the Trafalgar T3 and I find it a bit too springy, it can fling lather. The 21mm STF (I have a Kosmo) is absolutely my favourite brush for face lathering and Muhle have some killer handles.
The true B&B answer though is you need to try all of them for yourself and make up your own mind. Plus your razors need more brushes to keep them company

Very helpful Mike, thanks. So is the STF a proprietary knot by Muhle that's used in all their syn. brushes? So it would be the same fiber in the deal I mention above as your Kosmo?

And yes, I've heard that advise a lot here:)

I think a Duke 3 or a Muhle STF would be a fine choice. The Duke 2 was a little on the small side for me, but your choice should depend on your preferences. The Duke 3 I have in best is a great brush—soft tips with great splay and flow through, yet still reasonably dense with decent backbone.

I've hemmed and hawed over the question of the Duke 2 or 3. While I know others will remind me that both is always the preferred choice, that'd be a bit rich for my blood:pipe:. Not having a whole lot of brush experience, is the main difference between the 2 and 3 just in size/footprint? Or is there a notable difference in performance with a larger brush? I failed to mention in by OP that I typically only do two passes with some touch up. And with my 21mm EJ best, there was always enough lather.

Here are the brushes that I'm considering. For those of you with experience with one or more of these brushes, which would you pick if it was to be your only brush for the next decade? Feel free to vote for one of the badger options and one of the synthetics if you've used any of them.

Badger (these two seemed to be among the favorites on the threads I've read)
-Semogue Togue 3 finest/silvertip (22mm knot)​
-Simpsons Duke 2 (21mm knot). So many also rav about the Duke 3 that I'd consider that as well.​

You may want to specify your grade of badger.

Of these two, the Togue would be my choice.
I would also seriously reconsider a 'mistura' - a lot of bang for your buck!

proxy.php

I am not a fan of the Duke. If money is no issue, have a look at Simpsons' two band.
I like my Simpsons Eagle in Best, that seems to fit the handle just as the silver tip seems to belong in the Emperor.

As an alternative for the Duke, may I suggest the 57?
An e-mail to the lovely people on the Isle of Man will tell you if it can be made available in other badger qualities.

proxy.php

Synthetic (also two of most frequently recommended in this category)
-Simpsons Trafalgar 1 with 23mm knot (The "2" is also an option as many rav about it)​
-Muhle Silvertip fibre synthetic with 21mm knot​

Between these two, The Trafalgar in size 2 is hard to beat. In my book a better option than the smallish 1. And the best looking of the Trafalgar series as well.

I would also seriously consider this LE Chubby 2 in Sovereign: Special Edition Chubby 2 Sovereign Grade Synthetic Fibre faux Horn - https://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/store/brushes/synthetic-fibre-brushes/special-edition-chubby-2-sovereign-grade-synthetic-fibre-faux-horn. Also a compact brush.

My advice for a facelatherer though would be the captain, though at 24 mm it is your top end size wise.

proxy.php

Other than the Bruce, I've only ever used best badger. I'd considered a silvertip but from what I've learned here, the Simpsons best is pretty darn good especially for face lathering. And thanks for the endorsement of the Muhle, that's where I'm leaning. I found this deal for it at YS which makes it even more appealing.

MÜHLE silvertip fibre shaving brush mod 31K257 - https://yourshaving.com/gb/shaving-brushes/65-365-muhle-synthetic-brush.html#/51-hair-synthetic_fiber

Very helpful Mike, thanks. So is the STF a proprietary knot by Muhle that's used in all their syn. brushes? So it would be the same fiber in the deal I mention above as your Kosmo?

And yes, I've heard that advise a lot here:)

I've hemmed and hawed over the question of the Duke 2 or 3. While I know others will remind me that both is always the preferred choice, that'd be a bit rich for my blood:pipe:. Not having a whole lot of brush experience, is the main difference between the 2 and 3 just in size/footprint? Or is there a notable difference in performance with a larger brush? I failed to mention in by OP that I typically only do two passes with some touch up. And with my 21mm EJ best, there was always enough lather.
The difference between the Duke 2 and Duke 3 is size/footprint. There is also considerable variation among types of badger hair. I also have a Duke 3 in Manchurian, and that one seems noticeably smaller despite having the same knot size.

Top Bottom