What's new

Help picking a soap!

I am expanding my shaving soaps from 0 to 2-3. I have some Pre de Provence on the way, so I'm looking for 1 or 2 more soaps. I was thinking about getting some Tabac or MWF. I am not sure about the $48 for MWF though, is it really worth it?

I would like some suggestions for another soap.

Thanks!

Buy MWF without the container and save a few $$$$.

Then I have to buy another container to put the MWF in. :tongue_sm
I only have 1 bowl, and I use creams almost exclusively, so I need my bowl to lather my creams. I was thinking about face lathering the soaps.

You could get the Kent soap in a wooden bowl from their ebay shop "Kentbrushes". It's the same as MWF and only US $8.97 to boot.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
those 1-cup anchor hocking bowls with the plastic lids are the perfect size and 4 for about $10 or less.

I am expanding my shaving soaps from 0 to 2-3. I have some Pre de Provence on the way, so I'm looking for 1 or 2 more soaps. I was thinking about getting some Tabac or MWF. I am not sure about the $48 for MWF though, is it really worth it?

I would like some suggestions for another soap.

Thanks!

I really want to try MWF but haven't yet. But I have tried Tabac. Evey wetshaver needs to at least try it once. I did, and I love it.

Also, Mama Bear soaps are wonderful. You should try a couple of these as well. Here's her site:

http://mamabearssoaps.com/

You've got a shea butter soap on the way. Try a glycerin- and a tallow-based so that you get some variety, and figure out what you like.
For glycerin, I recommend QED.
For tallow, I recommend D.R. Harris or Art of Shaving. Others like Tabac.

PdP, Tabac, and MWF are all great soaps. But you really ought to mix it up a little and get a nice melt-and-pour (i.e., glycerin) soap. QED, Mama Bear, HoneyBee Spas, The Gentlemen's Quarter, etc.

Thanks for the help! I am looking into Mama Bear's now.

Do you all prefer MWF over Pre de Provence?

Hiya,

I would recommend a soft Italian soap such as P160 or Cella Crema sapone de Barba. They are excellent and both contain tallow and give a great protective lather and have a wonderful smell of almond, lovely !

Cheers :001_smile

Thanks for the help! I am looking into Mama Bear's now.

Do you all prefer MWF over Pre de Provence?
I prefer MWF though there are some who rave about Pre. I like Pre but find it to be particularly hard and therefore requires more effort to load the brush. MWF is probably my favorite and you'll find lots of MWF fans but some who don't get why we like it so much. I would also say that MWF is a 'classic must try' soap.

I prefer MWF though there are some who rave about Pre. I like Pre but find it to be particularly hard and therefore requires more effort to load the brush. MWF is probably my favorite and you'll find lots of MWF fans but some who don't get why we like it so much. I would also say that MWF is a 'classic must try' soap.

Damn you people and your 'must try' products. :lol:

I can already see that I am going to end up with the Pre de Provence, Tabac, Mama Bear's and MWF... :wink: However, with the $9 Kent MWF, I don't feel so bad about it now.

And all of this leads to a new 'soap' brush. :thumbup:

Last edited:
You could get the Kent soap in a wooden bowl from their ebay shop "Kentbrushes". It's the same as MWF and only US $8.97 to boot.
If you're searching for the eBay store, it's GBKent as the seller.
Just bought one this morning. The exchange rate is apparently amazing right now. $11.97 shipped Royal Air Mail to me in the States. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Damn you people and your 'must try' products. :lol:

I can already see that I am going to end up with the Pre de Provence, Tabac, Mama Bear's and MWF... :wink: However, with the $9 Kent MWF, I don't feel so bad about it now.

And all of this leads to a new 'soap' brush. :thumbup:

Omega Professional. It's my favorite soap brush.

I can't believe nobody is reppin the Colonel! Give Col. Conk a try. The shaves are smooth, and the scents are very good. I have tried his Bay Rum (smell is great, but I didn't like the sting) the Almond (great smell) and have now picked up the Lime (also smells awesome). The Col. lathers pretty darn good, and last three passes for me. Cheap, too.

I can't believe nobody is reppin the Colonel! Give Col. Conk a try. The shaves are smooth, and the scents are very good. I have tried his Bay Rum (smell is great, but I didn't like the sting) the Almond (great smell) and have now picked up the Lime (also smells awesome). The Col. lathers pretty darn good, and last three passes for me. Cheap, too.

I assumed someone had already. I didn't read the whole thread. Amber and Lime are both very nice. The Almond is one of the few melt and pours that I haven't tried. I shall remedy that shortly.

I was wondering when someone would mention this one. Im actually looking to get something almond. I was going to get Almond cream, but I got GFT Coconut instead. I was looking at the Almond Mama Bear's. Is that one good too?

Top Bottom