What's new

Help Picking a New Razor

I would like some help picking up my second safety razor. I have had an EJ E89bl for my first 3 years of wet shaving. I am happy with it overall. I really like how it looks especially. That being said, I am curious to try something new to me—ideally something that shaves and looks differently than the EJ. I have spent a lot of time researching, but I am overwhelmed. Especially when it comes to all of the vintage razors.
For the new razor I think I want something that is more efficient, but not overly aggressive because I have rather sensitive skin. My EJ doesn’t always do a great job on my neck, but I blame that more on myself than the razor. I like the length of my current handle.
I really like the look of Razorock’s halo handle. I thought about buying it and an open comb head from Italian Barber. The WCS midnight 88b also appeals to me in open comb. Open comb because I assume it will give me a new experience. The fatip razors are also in my price range and I like the look of most of them. Ideally I want to spend under $35. I know this is on the low end, but there are a lot of choices in this price range. I am also open to vintage razors, but I find it difficult to assess condition through pictures on ebay and I don’t have access to a flea market or antique store.
Thanks for reading and thanks for any advice!

If you are willing to go $10 higher, I would try a Merkur 37C. If vintage, a Gillette Red Tip, Slim, or Black Beauty.

The 37c is really nice looking. I need to read more about slants. I hadn’t really considered them/don’t know much about them. I just saw the Merkur Bakelite—I am interested in it as well.

I agree with @ackvil about vintages. You will probably enjoy a good TTO, possibly even an adjustable type. Shaves differently, looks different, and can still be quite smooth.

I'd also say look for a Gillette adjustable slim or black beauty. Very easy to find in good condition for under $35 and new enough that most of them haven't been beaten up much, and you can make it as mild or aggressive as agrees with you.

My suggestion is to choose one where the seller mentions the date code. If the seller lists the date code, it's likely they know enough about razors to know whether the thing is in good operating condition.

(edit: It's likely to be less expensive if you look for an auction piece. BINs for these tend to be close to $35, but they often go for less if people are bidding on it. My Slim was just $12.50 last month.)

Last edited:
I really like my Razorock Mamba with their barberpole handle (it came with the halo handle but I found it slippery). It is one of my smoothest shavers and it will give me a BBS in two passes. You could also try a Gillette Tech. I have been shaving with a fat handle Tech for two weeks now and have been getting fantastic shaves!

It sounds like you want to consider a vintage but are concerned with condition. I sometimes look at dozens of auctions and ask questions before deciding to purchase.

There are two vintage razors that can be had within your price range. These are the 1940's Gillette Superspeed and the 1930-'40's Schick Type E injector. I've found them for less than $10.

I just ordered a gillette off of ebay. I don’t know much about it, but the price was right and it looked clean to me. Haha I kind of got excited and pulled the trigger.
I think it is a 1964 super speed. My hunt is not over yet though.

I'd also say look for a Gillette adjustable slim or black beauty. Very easy to find in good condition for under $35 and new enough that most of them haven't been beaten up much, and you can make it as mild or aggressive as agrees with you.

My suggestion is to choose one where the seller mentions the date code. If the seller lists the date code, it's likely they know enough about razors to know whether the thing is in good operating condition.

(edit: It's likely to be less expensive if you look for an auction piece. BINs for these tend to be close to $35, but they often go for less if people are bidding on it. My Slim was just $12.50 last month.)
I like the idea of an adjustable. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Fendrihan Mark II series falls into your price range. Very good shaver and the material is stainless.

You could also spend $15 more on a Game Changer with that Halo handle.

I would recommend Italian Barber's DE1 safety razor at $7.99. It is a well built good looking razor with a Gillette Tech style head matched with a good handle. It is definitely a mild shaver but when paired with a sharp blade like a Feather it is quite efficient. A good razor for people with sensitive skin.

For your price range, I highly recommend the Fatip Piccolo Special Edition.

It is a complete brass razor, and as well as coming with an open comb base plate, it also comes with a closed comb base plate(from the Gentile) , so you can change it up and have a milder shave.

IMO even the closed comb plate on the Fatip is more efficient than the EJ, but as always YMMV. Good luck in your search!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

For your price range, I highly recommend the Fatip Piccolo Special Edition.

It is a complete brass razor, and as well as coming with an open comb base plate, it also comes with a closed comb base plate(from the Gentile) , so you can change it up and have a milder shave.

IMO even the closed comb plate on the Fatip is more efficient than the EJ, but as always YMMV. Good luck in your search!

Definitely sounds interesting, but I can’t seem to find a retailer that offers it online.

As it has only really just come out, at the moment there is only a few places it can be found at the moment. There's a couple of Italian places that have it, and also Connaught shaving in the UK.

I opted for Connaught shaving, as even though they're in the UK, postage to Australia was very reasonable. Link below for convenience.

Fatip Piccolo Special Edition Safety Razor

Be warned though, while the Gentile might suit your requirements, the normal OC head is quite a big step up in aggression. Though it is quite enjoyable once you get the hang of it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
So many razors could suit you. I sense the rabbit hole opening. Gillette Slim, Black Beauty, Fatip, Schick Krona, Vintage Gillette, Merkur and the list goes on. Just get one of each.

Top Bottom