What's new

Help Picking a New Razor

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Fatip piccolo or special edition version once it is more readily available

From Connaught Shaving its a good deal. You dont pay the VAT if in north America and they offer inexpensive shipping.

Another option would be the Gillette Old Type. Look for one with straight teeth, the older the better, and enjoy something very close to perfection.

My 1917 Gillette Single Ring and a Polsilver blade gives me a 10+ hour BBS finish in 2 1/2 passes. My Fatip Grande, the same head as the Piccolo just a different handle, gives me the same BBS finish in 1 ATG pass and one small clean up.

The Special Edition Piccolo is a very good buy. In my not so humble opinion, the Fatip OC is one of the best DE razors made, but you need a solid technique to get the most from.

Fatip Picccolo Special Gold Edition?

Last edited:
I see how easy it is to get RAD. Some reason I was satisfied with my first razor for 3 years and all of a sudden I want to try out 5 more. I am not even one to collect things, I just want a close comfortable shave.

I ordered the Piccolo Special Edition from Connaught Shaving yesterday, along with a 2013 Muhle R41 head to try without having to buy a whole razor because I hear that "The Beast" isn't for everyone.

If you want to try something new and already have a closed comb, an open comb was the second razor that I used; mine was a RazoRock Old Type with their Barber Pole handle, and I like it a lot. You could choose to jump on the Piccolo Special Edition bandwagon -- it comes with both open comb and closed comb base plates.

I also use a Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Bakelite Open Comb Slant -- it's different, but there's a lot of good to be said for it, including the price of $20 + shipping (or $22 shipped from Amazon). Open combs will be more aggressive than your EJ, but they're nothing to be afraid of -- like any new razor, be slow, deliberate, and use a light touch on your first few short swipes to find out how it behaves, then settle in when you're confident that you're not going to injure yourself.

Does the bakelite feel like cheap plastic or does it have a quality feel to it? I have never handled a bakelite razor.

Sorry I'm a little late lol. I'm going to also suggest the merkur 37c. I have several razors that are more expensive, adjustable, or made from stainless steel. That being said , the 37c has been incredibly comfortable, efficient, and forgiving on angle. I can literally give myself an amazing three pass shave with almost no thought involved, and my face feels WONDERFUL at the end. I just decided to give my Wunderbar a break and have a shave before bed, and I was immediately reminded how enjoyable it is to shave with the 37c. It doesn't get quite as close as the Wunderbar under my chin, but it's damn close! I'm going to pick up a Razorock German 37 pretty soon here to see how it compares.

Does the bakelite feel like cheap plastic or does it have a quality feel to it? I have never handled a bakelite razor.
Not at all cheap. While it is going to feel lighter than metal. The feel of the Bakelite and the brass fittings fit well and tight. If you recall, Bakelite was used to make telephones and radios.

I think I am going to order both the PAABOCS and the Schöne OC. Just dont tell SWMBO.
I think both razors will be a different experience than what I currently have and are both affordable. It seems like razors are fairly easy to resell if they don’t work out.

I have a few razors, not the big assortment many guys have, but each of mine provide a slightly different shave feel from the others.
1. Merkur 34C: mild, comfortable, great razor.
2. Merkur 37C slant: medium aggressive, efficient, but very comfortable.
3. Mühle R41: aggressive, efficient, very close shave, can bite if not careful.
4. RR SLOC: most automatic razor I own. More aggressive than 34C, no where near a R41. Comfortable error free shaves are very easy. Great buy at under $30 (shipping included).

I have a few razors, not the big assortment many guys have, but each of mine provide a slightly different shave feel from the others.
1. Merkur 34C: mild, comfortable, great razor.
2. Merkur 37C slant: medium aggressive, efficient, but very comfortable.
3. Mühle R41: aggressive, efficient, very close shave, can bite if not careful.
4. RR SLOC: most automatic razor I own. More aggressive than 34C, no where near a R41. Comfortable error free shaves are very easy. Great buy at under $30 (shipping included).
Thanks, now I have another RR to add to my list of razors to try. The SLOC looks like a steal! I wanted to love the game changer, but it's just too mild for me to get a close shave on my trouble spots. Maybe after the more aggressive plate is released I'll have better luck.

I received and had my first shave with my Schöne razor today. I loaded in a new Astra SP blade and started off slow since this was my first time using an open comb razor. I was experiencing a lot of tugging at first—maybe from the blade? Anyways I increased my speed and got a close shave with no irritation. Overall I am happy with the razor.

I received and had my first shave with my Schöne razor today. I loaded in a new Astra SP blade and started off slow since this was my first time using an open comb razor. I was experiencing a lot of tugging at first—maybe from the blade? Anyways I increased my speed and got a close shave with no irritation. Overall I am happy with the razor.

Tugging is usually the result of the blade, angle, or insufficient prep.

Thanks for the response. I have had this issue a few other times on the first use of a blade. Some reason I usually get more comfortable shaves from my Astras after the first use. I wonder if is actually the blade or just in my head.

You could try corking the blade, to get it past that “first use” stage before you actually use it.

Usually when people have trouble the first shave or three with a blade, it’s uncomfortable due to being hyper-sharp, so after a few shaves the blade mellows out for them.

Schone OC, nickel.
Thank you for recommending this razor. I have had two shaves with it and it’s efficiency is helping my problem areas on my neck. I even did a few atg touch ups that always give me razor burn and it was no problem. I think My techique with the Schone will continue to improve as well.

You could try corking the blade, to get it past that “first use” stage before you actually use it.

Usually when people have trouble the first shave or three with a blade, it’s uncomfortable due to being hyper-sharp, so after a few shaves the blade mellows out for them.
I got a better shave with the second use of the blade. It may have been technique improvements or slight blade dulling. Thanks for the input.

Now that I have shaved with both, I am very happy with both the Schöne and the Phonenix bakelite oc slant. They remove enough stubble with 2 passes that I am satisfied and don’t feel the need to go ATG. Therefore, I receive less/no irritation. They both definitely have a lot more blade feel than my ej89 or gillette flare tip. Now my main problem is decided which one to use each shave! Thanks everyone for their help.

Top Bottom