What's new

Help picking a new knot...

I have a Simpsons 58 I want to re-knot. Love the handle but the Best is just not doing it for me. A TON of upside down hairs and extremely uncomfortable when I try to get any scrub out of it with lots of scritch. Now granted, I have very sensitive skin so I don't need a ton of scrub, but I was using a Maggard's tuxedo with no problem. SO...help me pick out a new knot. If you have suggestions, I could also use tips on loft as well.

Requirements:
1) 24mm? (bottom of the knot where it meets the handle is 25mm. The measurements from Simpsons seem to vary on a 58, some say 23mm knot and some say 24)
2) Softest tips with some, but not a ton of scrub/backbone. I would say 4-6/10 on some arbitrary scale. (I could use a little more than my tuxedo for sure cause it doesn't offer much scrub)
3) Setup for bowl lathering.
4) Price is not really an issue

These were the knots I was looking at: Shavemac 3 band, Maggards SHD, Envyshave luxury silvertip. But obviously if you have others, I'm open to suggestion. ? Elite razor HMW or TurnNShave (not sure if they do 24mm)? Thanks for any and all input.

From what you've said, and your requirements, I would recommend a Shavemac Bulb Shape, Silvertip, 23/50.

Assuming (from what you've said) that the handle's hole is 25mm diameter... that gives you play of 1mm all round (1+23+1), pretty much standard.

Based on what you're looking for, I'd suggest you try Maggard 2-band badger knot. It's soft but it's still got good scrub to it. If that's too soft, there's also Maggard Mix badger/boar knot. That one has high scrub but no prickly sensation.

Of what you've listed, my first choice is the Shavemac Silvertip, a close second is the Maggards SHD. If you want to try a nice inexpensive, but superb, synthetic, try the $10 Chess brush from Turn N Shave. It's an eye-opener!

Top Bottom