What's new

Help! One razor nicks me!

I have two straight razors, a Thiers Issard and an H. Diamond 1000. I get very good shaves with both. However, the TI bites me, frequently, yet the HD has never nicked me. Both are 6/8 hollow grinds. What could I be doing wrong with the TI?

(It is never the point or toe that get me, it is always the middle of the blade, somewhere).

It sounds like you might have a chip on the edge. Have you had a look with magnification? Sometimes you can feel them catch when you wipe the blade with a cotton rag or a piece of toilet paper. If that’s the case, a full honing progression should fix it provided you start on a low grit and stay there until you remove the chip.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I had a similar problem with one of my Cadman "Bengall" ⅝ SRs. Each time it bit me, I would have harsh words with it. It only bit me more.

Then I started saying kind words to it whenever it performed well. That did the trick and it soon stopped biting me. I think it's a bit like training a dog. Praise works much better than reprimand.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Now to be a little more serious. I have found that the occasion edge chip you cannot see with your naked eye under a good light does not affect your shave. You may find that it is just your technique that is at fault. Every SR requires a slightly different technique to achieve optimal results, even identical SRs.

Try shaving with your TI at a shallower shave angle and possibly even less pressure. You may be surprised that the SR still cuts whiskers very effectively at the shallower angle. Basically, the sharper the edge the shallower the angle to be used.

May be the bevel angle of the blade. Perhaps do the math on that

Were they finished on the same stones? I got a shave ready blade from eBay, and truly it was, no tugging keen as can be but uncomfortable - put it to my naniwa 12k and it's now pleasant. Some people say the super high grit paste or film honed edges can be sharp but a bit less comfortable so I presumed it was that. Maybe difference in finishing on your two blades

I can't see any nicks with my 40x loop and I don't think that it has one since I just had it sharpened. I think it more likely it is something I am doing differently with my technique than I am with the other razor. Both are as "sharp as a razor".

The TI is ever so slightly wider spine to edge than the vintage HD. It is possible I am not allowing for that, or it is possible I am not using a shallow enough angle.

May be the bevel angle of the blade. Perhaps do the math on that

Were they finished on the same stones? I got a shave ready blade from eBay, and truly it was, no tugging keen as can be but uncomfortable - put it to my naniwa 12k and it's now pleasant. Some people say the super high grit paste or film honed edges can be sharp but a bit less comfortable so I presumed it was that. Maybe difference in finishing on your two blades
They were both finished on Japanese stones, the same stones and same professional honer. They will both cut a dropped hair and better.

Is the only difference more red dots in your lather showing up on your face or is it accompanied with irritation post-shave?

In the past I've actually nicked myself when using a very low angle, because I didn't have the skin stretched enough. If the blade sticks a little it can make the skin bunch up ahead of it, I think. I'd pay attention to that. Also be careful that your not trying to shave with too much of the length of the blade at once.

It's probably a subtle difference between the two that you're technique hasn't accounted for yet.

No irritation, only nicks.
If any of my razors had an edge imperfection I'd be paying in more irritation than blood, but that's just my experience. So many variables though haha. I'd put my money on it being a technique thing with that particular blade. I've used my 7/8ths T.I. quite a bit now but I still feel like I need to tread carefully with that blade, versus my 6/8ths T.I. that I can zip zip like a madman without too much consenquence.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Today, I was very mindful of my stretching and I watched my angles carefully. I had no nicks or weepers using the TI razor. I also made sure to have my soap well hydrated so the razor wouldn't drag. I had no issues whatsoever.
Congratulations. I hope this continues.

One of the joys of SR shaving. Something new to be learnt with every shave 😊.

Today, I was very mindful of my stretching and I watched my angles carefully. I had no nicks or weepers using the TI razor. I also made sure to have my soap well hydrated so the razor wouldn't drag. I had no issues whatsoever.
Nice! Glad you got it sorted. Some blades teach you how to shave, and some REALLY teach you how to shave.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Nice! Glad you got it sorted. Some blades teach you how to shave, and some REALLY teach you how to shave.
My two most unforgiving SRs are the Gold Dollar W59 and Russian UTRO with a bevel angle of <15°. They both are still teaching me. I'm a slow learner but I do learn.

If you have a modern Thiers Issard razor, it is made from C135 "Carbonsong" steel. This is a carbon steel that is much higher in carbon content than most razors. It can be hardened to very high HRC, well above 60. Very hard steel can take and hold a super sharp edge, but it can also be brittle. This makes the steel subject to microchipping if honed improperly. Because it is hard, you cannot rush the honing process. This is also one of those steels that benefits from stropping with ultra fine abrasives on pasted strops.

Top Bottom