What's new

Help... NO Longevity

It seems like my skin "drinks" any cologne I use. I have a friend who is a fragrance junkie, and any of the 8+ hour scents leave my skin in about an hour. Gone, like nobody can tell I'm even wearing cologne.

I find myself buying the cheaper brands (Cremo, Every Man Jack, Duke Cannon, Distillery Series, etc.) because I know I'll have to continually re-apply.

I've tried applying a little moisturizer before the cologne to help it last longer, but no good.

It seems like my skin "drinks" any cologne I use. I have a friend who is a fragrance junkie, and any of the 8+ hour scents leave my skin in about an hour. Gone, like nobody can tell I'm even wearing cologne.

I find myself buying the cheaper brands (Cremo, Every Man Jack, Duke Cannon, Distillery Series, etc.) because I know I'll have to continually re-apply.

I've tried applying a little moisturizer before the cologne to help it last longer, but no good.
You do know that you won’t be able to smell it after an hour or so, but others will?

I’ve found that pressing or rubbing the area where it’s applied reactivates the fragrance.

If the cologne or EDT you are using doesn’t have an oil base it won’t last very long

You do know that you won’t be able to smell it after an hour or so, but others will?

I’ve found that pressing or rubbing the area where it’s applied reactivates the fragrance.

If the cologne or EDT you are using doesn’t have an oil base it won’t last very long
I know. Nobody can smell it :-(

I haven't had any success rubbing the application area. I'm applying a squirt to each wrist and a spray to each artery on the sides of my neck.

I know. Nobody can smell it :-(

I haven't had any success rubbing the application area. I'm applying a squirt to each wrist and a spray to each artery on the sides of my neck.
I don’t know what to tell you then.

I use YSL Kouros and about an hour later I can’t smell it, but my wife can smell it at the end of the day.

I’ve also noticed than I habitually put my hand on the spots where I’ve sprayed and unconsciously rub the spot. I then get a strong whiff as if I just sprayed it on.

Tough predicament!

My application process for a spray is a spritz to the chest (bare skin under my shirt), front of neck, back of neck, and one shared between the wrists.

For a finger/dabbed application it’s a spot on both wrists (top and bottom), center chest, throat hollow, either side of the clavicle at the neck base, ear lobes and behind the jaw, back of the neck, and temples.

I shave daily, shower every other day (usually) and have dry skin to where I put on moisturizers every other day.

These applications usually (adjusted based on the strength of scent as I get to know the frag) last me for the day. Some of the time I’ll lose the scent not others can still smell it. I’ll get occasional whiffs.

I know that some folks just have body chemistry that makes some frags fall flat...but I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone to whom it happens for all frags yet! Maybe you just haven’t found the right juice yet! :c7:

Tough predicament!

My application process for a spray is a spritz to the chest (bare skin under my shirt), front of neck, back of neck, and one shared between the wrists.

For a finger/dabbed application it’s a spot on both wrists (top and bottom), center chest, throat hollow, either side of the clavicle at the neck base, ear lobes and behind the jaw, back of the neck, and temples.

I shave daily, shower every other day (usually) and have dry skin to where I put on moisturizers every other day.

These applications usually (adjusted based on the strength of scent as I get to know the frag) last me for the day. Some of the time I’ll lose the scent not others can still smell it. I’ll get occasional whiffs.

I know that some folks just have body chemistry that makes some frags fall flat...but I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone to whom it happens for all frags yet! Maybe you just haven’t found the right juice yet! :c7:

I definitely haven't. Knowing me, the answer will be this awesome year-round beast mode EDT that I can never find. Costing $300. And a foot.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
What fragrances are you looking for specifically? Also...don't forget behind the ears. 🙂

I had someone explain this to me but apparently what you are looking for is the pure "Parfum" and not the EDP or the EDT (Toillette) or the Cologne or the aftershave for that matter. There was something I bought once that came in three variants (which is why I know this now [ I think it was a Men's Chanel (Bleu?) ] ) . There is an explanation of this here:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Nothing specific. Just something that will "stay".

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements has a nice Bay Rum called Atomic Age that has some legs. They have it in an aftershave and in an edt. They also sell something called Star Jelly which is a cross between a splash and a balm...interesting stuff.

"Cologne" will never last 8 hours, have a look here: The Cologne Guide (gentlemansgazette.com)

1609595958390.png

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Do you sweat a lot? I have the same problem, especially in the summer months. It doesn’t really have to be hot, just humid and my body will wash away just about any cologne I put on. I will only buy EDP’s now because it seems to “stick” better. I also spray some on my shirt which seems to help, especially if it’s a EDC that doesn’t have much staying power on my skin. I’ll also decant into smaller bottles or purchase the smallest bottle possible of some of my favorites and then leave 1-2 in my truck for a quick reapplication as needed.

Last edited:
Additionally some top notes are strong out of the gate and then dissipate but the base notes stay on and might be very different.

Are you experiencing this by any chance?

Most cologne goes to skin-level scent fairly quickly, which is normal given the concentration of oils.
I've read where some have claimed they experience 8 hr with, say - stuff like Old Spice aftershave and, well - I think their definition of 'it lasts 8 hr' is not the same as mine. FWIW - I don't find OS AS to project at all after 15 minutes. But that's me. My point is, what the internet says about longevity and sillage might be, well - exaggerated a bit. Or perhaps based on a different point of view, different perceptions, etc.

The amount of product used, how it's applied, how well the skin is hydrated, how moist the skin is during application, where it's applied and what sort of activity the body is engaged in, etc - all that matters - a lot. Of course the concentration of the frag, and the users body chemistry also matter a lot - so it's not a perfect science or an easy to follow recipe. I usually have several people give me feedback too, relying on only one other 'nose' can be misleading.

A person who is not well hydrated, put two spritzes on their dry as a bone chest, then covered up with a heavy shirt and then sat around watching TV for 8 hr is not going to experience the same performance as someone who is well hydrated, applied 5 spritzes to their freshly showered skin, wore a lighter shirt and was engaged in physical exercise periodically throughout the day. When I go to work out, whatever cologne/edt/edp/etc I put on that morning starts to really pop again.

Bleu de Chanel Parfum gives me about 5 hr of projection, but will still be above skin-level after 8 hr. After that, if I start doing anything that really warms me up it's back to about 75% pretty quickly.
Contrasting that - ADP Intensa Cologne will go to just above skin-level after 2-4 hr, but if I lift later on that night it comes back to maybe 50% of it's original intensity. But the ADP is never even nearly as strong as the BDC.

I have noticed that humidity makes a scent explode as well.

A spritz on your shirt will last longer than on the skin every time. If you use a notoriously long lasting scent, and give a spritz on your shirt you should smell it for a long time. If you can’t, I’d say you are just getting used to it and others probably can smell it....

What “really long lasting “ fragrances do you have?

I have noticed that humidity makes a scent explode as well.

A spritz on your shirt will last longer than on the skin every time. If you use a notoriously long lasting scent, and give a spritz on your shirt you should smell it for a long time. If you can’t, I’d say you are just getting used to it and others probably can smell it....

What “really long lasting “ fragrances do you have?

I have several EDPs from Duke Cannon, solid colognes from Cremo and Duke Cannon, and Bath & Body Works Midnight. The Midnight lasts a long time (6+ hours) on the three friends who have tried it; for me it's undetectable after 45 minutes.

Top Bottom