What's new

Help.. New Strop our of the box question

Hello,

Today I received my inexpensive starter strop. It’s pretty much as advertised but I did notice a couple of “wrinkles” in the leather. My question is, are these a problem for stropping? If so, can I do something about them? Also, is there something I should do to this strop before using it the first time? I’ve seen a lot of posts regarding strop care but I wasn’t able to find anything about my particular situation. Thanks.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the grain of the leather to me. Lesser quality leathers tend to have more grain pattern. Something like a scotch shell would have no grain pattern at all which is a more expensive cut of leather. Is it safe to use...that I cant be the judge on.

Larry

Looks like the grain of the leather to me. Lesser quality leathers tend to have more grain pattern. Something like a scotch shell would have no grain pattern at all which is a more expensive cut of leather. Is it safe to use...that I cant be the judge on.

Larry

Thanks Larry. I agree it looks like it’s in the grain, but it seems like a kind of wrinkle. When I stretch out the strop I can actually see the wrinkle become less pronounced.

Looks like a scar to me, I wouldn’t be too worried about it unless it is rising substantially above the surface. You shouldn’t need to do anything to a strop right out of the box. You can rub it down with your hand as often as you’d like, to keep it conditioned.

Looks like a scar to me, I wouldn’t be too worried about it unless it is rising substantially above the surface. You shouldn’t need to do anything to a strop right out of the box. You can rub it down with your hand as often as you’d like, to keep it conditioned.

Thanks. I did go ahead and use it today. It seemed to be ok. I just need lots of practice. I’m enjoy the experience for sure. I used my palm and rubbed it down for a bit before I used it so hopefully that did help.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Lots of hand rubbing, and often, is my recommendation. A drop or two ONLY of neats foot oil would not be out of place. You could also lay it on a flat surface and rub it with a clean glass bottle. Lean into it, use some pressure. This helps to compress the surface of the leather, and hand rubbing helps to smooth it, turn the edges down if they are cupped up, and make it more supple and "strop-like".

You should be able to strop on it for now. An upgrade would be nice but wait a month or two so you make all your mistakes on that strop before you throw down real money on a good one.

Lots of hand rubbing, and often, is my recommendation. A drop or two ONLY of neats foot oil would not be out of place. You could also lay it on a flat surface and rub it with a clean glass bottle. Lean into it, use some pressure. This helps to compress the surface of the leather, and hand rubbing helps to smooth it, turn the edges down if they are cupped up, and make it more supple and "strop-like".

You should be able to strop on it for now. An upgrade would be nice but wait a month or two so you make all your mistakes on that strop before you throw down real money on a good one.

Thanks for the advice and information. I’ll try more palm rubbing and maybe the glass bottle as well.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Looks like a raised scar in the hide. A natural "range" mark in the hide itself. Nothing that will hurt the razor so no worries there. You may find the feel of the bump a little disconcerting but it will not do any harm.

And yes, it does take practice and nicks and cuts are part of the learning experience.

I would not worry. Wetstones are hard and will force their shape onto the edge, leather is soft, non-abrasive and will have not effect on your edge. That a good strop that will serve you well.

Will you have the same concern once you nick your strop?

Top Bottom