What's new

Help needed with Speick

My only experience with shaving cream so far has been Kiss My Face Lime; besides that, I've only used soaps. So when I tried to lather the Speick shaving cream I received in the mail earlier today, I got a bit of a surprise.

I soaked my brush and bowl in hot water, squeezed the water out of the brush, and wiped off the bowl. Then I grabbed my new tube of Speick, and (with a fair bit of effort) squeezed out a pea-sized piece of soap out of the tube. Yes, "piece" - it was more solid than liquid. I then added a teaspoon or so of water to my bowl with the soap, and spent ten minutes chasing the pea of soap around the bowl with my brush as I tried to lather it. I finally wised up and squished it against the bottom and finished up in another ten minutes.

Is this the typical shaving cream experience?
Is it supposed to be very viscous and difficult to squeeze it out of the tube? It looks chunky.

Last edited:
That is waaaaaaaaay too hard. The cream is just that - a very creamy and soft stuff. Not as loose as KMF but still very smooth and soft. NOT a chunk :)

I'd complain and send it back.

Actually don't send it back. If you read the box that the cream comes in you'll see that it specifically says the shaving cream starts to solidify, yes solidify, at temps above 30C/86F. You can even check their website for yourself. Sounds weird I know, but if its hot were you at try storing the cream somewhere cool and see what happens.

Last edited:
This happened to me too. I took my tube of Speick on a trip to New Mexico. After a few hours in the rental car, it became partially solidified. It never recovered despite several days in cooler temps. I'd get a new tube. It's definitely worth having when not ruined--my favorite cream so far.

This happened to me too. I took my tube of Speick on a trip to New Mexico. After a few hours in the rental car, it became partially solidified. It never recovered despite several days in cooler temps. I'd get a new tube. It's definitely worth having when not ruined--my favorite cream so far.

Wow, thats a really low temperature too. I guess indoors it won't be a problem but that stuff would turn to rock with the temperatures where I live if that is the case.

That makes a lot of sense. It was over a hundred degrees out when I checked my mail today. I figured warmer would make it runnier, but I guess not.

I just got back home and tried it again. The tube was noticeably softer as I squeezed out another pea. It wasn't creamy, but it wasn't chunky either. I think I'll keep working with it.

Thanks for pointing out the bit about temperature! Will putting it in the refrigerator help?
Also, is this an issue with other creams?

hmmm...never heard of that before.
Maybe that's what happened to my tub of Harris Marlborough. When I first tried to use it, it was very hard, almost like wax, with little or no scent.
I chased that little chunk around in the bowl for what seemed like forever, before I gave up and used something else.
I added a very small amount of water to the tub stirred it up and sealed it back up.
I haven't tried it again since then. I probably effed it up for good.

I got one shipped to me last week. Here in AZ it was about 110. Probably 150 in my mailbox.

Solidified just like you described.

Maybe I can mill it into a cup.

Just rechecked it. Much softer than when first recieved. Still seems kinda pasty though? What is normal fluidity of this stuff?

Very glad to see this thread. I tried shaving with Speick for the first time shortly after pulling it from my mailbox on a 100-degree day and was dismayed at how solid it was. I'll have to try it again now that it's been in cooler inside temps for a while.

hmmm...never heard of that before.
Maybe that's what happened to my tub of Harris Marlborough. When I first tried to use it, it was very hard, almost like wax, with little or no scent.
I chased that little chunk around in the bowl for what seemed like forever, before I gave up and used something else.
I added a very small amount of water to the tub stirred it up and sealed it back up.
I haven't tried it again since then. I probably effed it up for good.
I did that as well; adding water actually made it very gloopy. I ended up tossing it.

I had proraso get a little funky on me after sitting out at about 90 degrees. But it wasn't as bad as what you are dealing with.

In Minnesota, we have to make a point of not ordering shaving cream in the winter. One time a cream arrived on a day that was -10. It was always a little funky after that, but still worked pretty well.

Tried mine again this morning. Still kinda crappy. Once I was able to dissolve the chunk it lathered well, but it was not worth the effort.

My Speick cream is now fine. It's creamy, but not runny like KMF.

Are you keeping your Speick somewhere it could get warm, Barbarian? Does your bathroom get a lot of sunlight?

I just received a new tube of Speick this afternoon from the fine folks at Smallflower in Chicago. The temperatures here on the west side of Lake Michigan are in the low '80s and the Speick is fine! It has the consistency of a thick paste, very similar to Musgo Real. I like the scent.

Top Bottom