What's new

Help needed to identify a vintage Gillette

Hi guys,

I bought a vintage Gillette yesterday for ~$10, but have no clue what it is.
The head design reminds me of the Old type, but the handle is not familiar to me (looks like a Bulldog, but not so sure ...).

What do you guys think?

proxy.php

Last edited:
Toby, Neil - thanks for the replies!
@Toby - unfortunately, the pics are a no go till' Wednesday, when it's supposed to get here.
@Neil, was thinking the same thing.

Very nice.

I bet it's from Rotbart shortly after Gillette acquired them.

I've never seen one like it before.

Nice score!

Congratulations.

Love the handle, nice score. I am making some broad assumptions but I think it may be a frankenrazor for the following reasons:

1. The handle where it screws into the base plate looks smaller than the cut out in the base plate for the handle .
2.The handle looks like a 30s style not an Old , as @bakerbarber says it may be a Rotbart and it was branded Gillette or it could be some uncommon variant or prototype of a Gillette Service set handle .
3. It is difficult to do an exact count from this pic but the head appears to have only 13 teeth and may not be a Gillette as Old style Gillette heads had 14 teeth.
4. And from the pics the base plate doesn't appear to be stamped

Glenn

I got into a very heated bidding war over one of these, or something like it, a few years ago. If I recall correctly, I think the auction winner was a member here - maybe GlenConti?

I remember the razor because the gnarling pattern looked like a Bulldog or a British Popular but with a three piece design.

I'll check my old posts today and hopefully find something to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Hello,

the upper part of the handle looks to be a little loose and never saw one like this on a Rotbart/Gillette razor from the 30ies.
I'd say it has components of three razors.
Handle is a Rotbart rebranded by Gillette. Neck piece looks like an old type Gillette or a clone of it. The comb has 13 teeth, Gillette and Rotbart had 14 and the locating pins looks too short.

Adam

Thank you all for your input and kind words!
I'll make sure to post some pictures of this 'mystery' razor once it gets here.

Love the handle, nice score. I am making some broad assumptions but I think it may be a frankenrazor for the following reasons:

1. The handle where it screws into the base plate looks smaller than the cut out in the base plate for the handle .
2.The handle looks like a 30s style not an Old , as @bakerbarber says it may be a Rotbart and it was branded Gillette or it could be some uncommon variant or prototype of a Gillette Service set handle .
3. It is difficult to do an exact count from this pic but the head appears to have only 13 teeth and may not be a Gillette as Old style Gillette heads had 14 teeth.
4. And from the pics the base plate doesn't appear to be stamped

Glenn

Hello,

the upper part of the handle looks to be a little loose and never saw one like this on a Rotbart/Gillette razor from the 30ies.
Handle is a Rotbart rebranded by Gillette. Neck piece looks like an old type Gillette or a clone of it. The comb has 13 teeth, Gillette and Rotbart had 14 and the locating pins looks too short.

Adam

My observations as well, I don't think there's a Gillette part on it, accept for the name stamp.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member

This. It's a Rotbart Berlin-made Gillette from right after the takeover in the late 1920s. The handle is loose from the neck and it could possibly be put together with Mond-Extra parts and the No.15 Rotbart style handle marked Gillette.

So here's a similar handle on a later razor, perhaps they used it first on an open comb head. Not much documentation from that period.
Rotbart marked Gillette

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the long absence.

You guys got it spot on, this is a frankenrazor with a Gillette stamped Rotbart handle.
The cap is stamped on the backplate with the text "Minski' and there are no other markings on it.
My google searching skills didn't get me anywhere in finding more information on that obscure marking. I could find no record anywhere about a company or a DE razor called 'Minski'. If you guys can shed any light on that, I'd appreciate it.

As far as the shaving experience goes, I can only sing praises to it. As it's very close in design to an Old type, it shaves somewhat similarly, but more on the milder/smoother side. That is most likely due to the smaller blade gap.
All in all, this razor got me some of the best shaves I've had lately, close and ultra smooth.
A lucky find :)

Top Bottom